whats best settings for raid0 and raptors?

Man of Honour
I use the same board as you but with a pair of 7200.10s, off the top of my head you want:

Command queing: Off
Write Caching: On
Read Caching: Off

At the end of the day all of them just need a reboot to enable/disable so it's easy enough to try various combinations.

Permabanned
64 is getting big, bigger is for Video work etc, Ideally I think most guides will tell you that 16-32 is a good alrounder.

No idea whay others tell you to turn of any cache be it read or write, I had a drive that the cache chip died on and it was a nightmare, took ages to do anything and 6 hours to defrag, it had to be RMA'd

IMO only apects that can affect speed ever so slightly is:

SMART
Achostic Management
NCQ

Last edited:
Man of Honour
helmutcheese said:
No idea whay others tell you to turn of any cache be it read or write
There was a whole spate of threads on this about 6 months ago with plenty of benchmark evidence. On NVidia RAID controllers in particular, turning off the read caching gave a fair (10-20%) improvement in sustained read benchmarks.

Permabanned
Just tried on 1 Single Raptor and it makes no difference to me, I am 3MB slower anyhow than I was on last mobo with Silicon controler in XP32, Im same speed in XP64 on the Nvidia as I was on the Silicon, which could be done to Sata drivers being better, I will not be on Raid0 for few weeks as of testing etc.

Back
Top Bottom