• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's common for a gpu to cause crashes?

Soldato
basically for the last few days I've been unable to use my computer due to either not posting, crashing on post screen or the random start up shut down rubbish not being able to figure it out.

However I have taken the graphics card out and tried my old 300w 80+ bronze unit and took a gamble the onboard graphics working being a quad and it does, so I've just connected my supersonic and and same result, so while I still have system not reading 4gb installed(I mean actually detected) issue I think it's safe to say there's something up with my graphics card, just not sure how?

It old, it's used and it is the version for the Mac Pro, but other than having to cut the stupid metal handle off, I had no prior issues, installed fine, ran fine, never liked the division at all mind and played anno 2205 acceptable on low preset which is the only time I put it to test.

Soldato
It's most likely to be your PSU, they seem to be one of the first things to pack in on an old system. I think what you're saying is that the PSU is working ok when you remove the graphics card but using the onboard graphics may not be drawing enough power to bring out the problem. I'd try a different PSU with the graphics card to rule out the PSU in the first instance.

Soldato
OP
thanks for the reply.

well this is my power supply which was an RMA replacement for the previous seller, but brand new unopened, so when i got it i was the first to open it(ie take the film off and cut the tapes on the box and then unwrap the content) so i highly doubt this would be the issue and if it was im buggered, but ive had this system with this psu running no problem for over a week until few days ago, its whats powering the system now.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £94.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

the 5770 is obviously quite old and so was purchased used and it does happen to be originally created for the mac pro, so whether thats finally being an issue or its simply failing i do not know, it cant run things as acceptable as i want so it needs to go still anyway , but no use if faulty.

Soldato
Ah ok I didn't realise you had a new PSU. Next point of call I think we be to rule out driver issues. Download and use the DDU application to completely uninstall all traces of previous drivers then download the latest drivers for the GPU. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas - it could well be that your card is failing.

Soldato
OP
hmm this is strange, i had my psu connected outside the case and thought id best put it back so i can put back under my desk and figured id try the 5770 again and its working? booted up normal and as im on here, nothing is happening so maybe it needed reseated again or everything reconnected?

think i best try get rid of it while it is working ha

Back
Top Bottom