Whats happened to PSU stock levels??

Associate
Just came on to order some bits for streaming/recording PC, shocked to see all the decent PSU brands out of stock. What's happened? is that just down to miners?

I contacted 3 retailers recently including OcUK about a few particular 850w PSUs I was looking at, none could tell me when they were in stock and one of them said something along the lines of PSU shortages they are unsure when it will be back in stock.

Soldato
Just came on to order some bits for streaming/recording PC, shocked to see all the decent PSU brands out of stock. What's happened? is that just down to miners?

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is in stock. Can't go wrong with one of those. Has a nice 10 year warranty.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £398.62 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Soldato
OP
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is in stock. Can't go wrong with one of those. Has a nice 10 year warranty.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £398.62 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Thanks for the heads up on these. Seasonic PSUs any good though? Im a big overclocker and need stability. Always gone for Superflower PSUs in the past.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up on these. Seasonic PSUs any good though? Im a big overclocker and need stability. Always gone for Superflower PSUs in the past.

Yes Seasonic are top notch. The Focus Gold as mentioned above has a 10 year warranty, or if that isn't enough the Prime series comes with a 12 year warranty (Expensive though).

Associate
Check review sites like jonnyguru, they're great PSUs as Lee said (as are basically all seasonic units, they've been one of the standard setters for many years now). Superflower are not bad either but fewer standout units in recent years.

Associate
As above, Seasonic are quite consistently right at the top in most classes. Not always the best but never bad or even average. Very few OEMs can top them in the consumer market, with Delta being one of them but they're usually pricier.

Soldato
OP
@Bugbait particular model, the Focus plus Gold models. There are a few threads here, on lower pages regarding this PSU listed above. I read some professional reviews last night which seem to praise it quite highly for the price point, but it's cons were the noise levels and certain rails not being that great. Came here and looked down in this thread and found a few concerning threads within the first few pages and also over at other online forums.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/seasonic-focus-plus-850w-ticking.18801831/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/seasonic-650w-gold-faulty-after-5-hours.18799637/

Something I should not be concerned about?

Last edited:
Associate
Two DAO units. Doesn't sound great for their QA but I would prefer DOA over later failure since it's less of a hassle all round in terms of build and warranty claim. I did buy a Seasonic OEM (another brand on it) a while back that had a ticking sound as well but in my case I could see the fan touching the grill. Got something else instead to replace it, not because I wouldn't have been happy with another of the same but due to a good offer coming up on something from EVGA at the time.

Every manufacturer will have their share of faults, it's more about how it's handled and frequency.

Maybe there's a fault with that line or batch? I wouldn't be put off Seasonic in general because of it though. If you are, the EVGA G2 range are made by Superflower and get good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom