What's the best way of keeping mice away from my car when it's unused?

Soldato
What's the best way of keeping mice away from my car when it's unused and simply sat on the drive.

I've got an ST220 which I don't use over the winter months, however last year I had an issue where my brake fluid reservoir cap got chewed by mice along with the corner of my airbox.

I got in it 2 weeks ago to do my weekly move it about & warm it up routine & noticed a mouse dropping on the carpet. I of course set up mouse traps & i've since killed 4 of the little ******* in the last 10 days.

Anyone else had rodent issues? What's the best solution?

These appear to be field mice, our garden backs onto fields & the hedgerows are full of them so there is a never ending supply, I just want them away from my car.

Soldato
Just put traps out nearby? They will never resist food and will quite happily do all manner of stupid things to get it. Just have a look on youtube at how simple it is to make a mouse trap.

Caporegime
Ring your local pest control company and ask them to come around, for £100 or so you'll have that car free of anything for a couple of years. If you find a really... morally loose one they'll have a spray which acts as deterrent, but I think it was outlawed a few years ago.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I need to repel the mice, the car is on the driveway, I can't simply put traps out nearby as I live next to several thousand acres of farm land, there are probably more mice out there than there are people in the UK, last time I put traps in the garage they were full every morning for about 2 months straight. I killed about 200 mice & they kept coming.

I have mousetraps in the car, I need to somehow stop them having a go at the car in the first place before they cause some damage.

Caporegime
Ok, I need to repel the mice, the car is on the driveway, I can't simply put traps out nearby as I live next to several thousand acres of farm land, there are probably more mice out there than there are people in the UK, last time I put traps in the garage they were full every morning for about 2 months straight. I killed about 200 mice & they kept coming.

I have mousetraps in the car, I need to somehow stop them having a go at the car in the first place before they cause some damage.
If it’s on the driveway then no amount of traps is going to resolve it, given your location ie backing onto farmland I’d do what the farmers do, have cats.

Soldato
OP
I'll give the scented tumble dryer sheets a go. Can't get cats as we already have dogs & whilst there is farmland on one side of the property the driveway is next to the A60, there is often dead cats on it so not ideal.

Man of Honour
Humane traps with chocolate as bait. I know it sounds silly but the only bait that managed to get a mouse in my house was chocolate. Make sure the traps are humane so a fox or cat doesn't get hurt. But check the trap every day so the poor thing isn't stuck in there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom