Whats the best way to Install Boinc as a service

Soldato
Whats the best way to Install Boinc as a service to multiple machines?

Got a 'few' here I might get boincing, seeing as I've had few rigs running it stabily for a few days now.

Has to be hidden from the user to.

Man of Honour
My Boinc Remote script here might be helpful :)

Its not completely transparent in that it does install a service called BOINC and it does put in into a folder called boinc in program files, however you can modify the batch file to change the path and name of the service.

Then you can roll it out to all the machines you are allowed to from your workstation, and then if you need to run it only at certain times you just setup a schedule on your computer to do the requisite commands at the time you require. Then all you have to do is make sure the machine with the scheduler on it is on at the times it needs to run the schedule.

For example you could set two scheduled tasks say called "morning" and "evening", create two batch files in the Boinc Remote directory called morning.cmd and evening.cmd.

So say your Boinc Remote directory is called c:\br here are the morning and evening cmd files

Morning.cmd:
@Echo off
c:
cd\br
br stop
exit

Evening.cmd
@Echo off
c:
cd\br
br start
exit

This would allow boinc to run overnight and stop in the morning :)

Man of Honour
You have to create it, basically its just a file with the IP address or addresses of the machine (yours probably) that will run Boincview

It tells boinc that that machine is allowed to connect via RPC

Associate
I stole a couple of commands out of your script to make a quick and dirty update file. I run CLI on all machines and when there is an upgrade (say 4.09 to 4.11) it stops the remote service, copies the CLI executable and restarts the service on all of the remote machines. Just make sure that you have the updated CLI executable in the same directory as the batch file. :)

*** Begin file

@Echo OFF

echo Parsing pcnames.txt

for /f %%i in (pcnames.txt) do call :COPYFILE %%i

:COPYFILE

echo Stopping BOINC service on computer %1

sc \\%1 stop BOINC > nul

echo Copying files to computer %1

copy %~d0%~p0boinc_cli.exe \\%1\c$\progra~1\boinc\ /y

echo Re-starting service on computer %1

sc \\%1 start BOINC > nul

goto END

:END
endlocal
goto ENDOFFILE

:ENDOFFILE

*** End file

Associate
Originally posted by Biffa
Nice one, mind if I put it in the package?

Absolutely! You may want to create another sub-section to distribute the project information so that it can be automated for a new project as well. I've just been changing the "copy" line as needed. Isn't it amazing how much work we will go through to be lazy? :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Link2Adrenaline
Absolutely! You may want to create another sub-section to distribute the project information so that it can be automated for a new project as well. I've just been changing the "copy" line as needed. Isn't it amazing how much work we will go through to be lazy? :)

LOL I just add the new project using BoincView.

Not sure I want to do much more than add extra batch files with descriptions in the readme for additional utils, I was going to write one to distrib the new client but as you say.. lazy :D

Its a tricky one to automate, perhaps an "update" command in the original batch could check the project files in the folder against what is installed on the machines and copy over the missing project files. But tbh I'm busy enough as it is at the moment without going all out at it. :D

You can always set the new projects up on the default machine and then just remove/install to refresh all the others. Naughty but effective :D

Associate
What I have been doing for new projects is installing the project on the controlling machine with the Add Project command, taking the client_<project>.xml file from that install and distributing it to the clients. Then just restart the service on the clients and the software takes care of the rest. Simple.

The only thing that is in that file is the URL, Authenticator, Project Name and a couple of very basic preferences so it can be copied cross-platform with no problem at all.

Soldato
OP
Righty ho, another problemo, rolled out boinc as a service to a few machines, on friday, but for some reason the machines aren't getting any credit, see the bottom few on this list

Any ideas what could be causing all this slackness?

Soldato
Originally posted by Garrett
Righty ho, another problemo, rolled out boinc as a service to a few machines, on friday, but for some reason the machines aren't getting any credit, see the bottom few on this list

Any ideas what could be causing all this slackness?

The validator had been off since thursday I beleive :(

Dunc

Associate
I have used this Boinc Remote script but could not succeed to start the Boinc activity. It installs the service and starts it but the Boinc client does nothing. When I check the Boinc folder I realized that it has created only two files (client_state.xml and lockfile) other than the copied ones. There is also projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu folder but it is empty. I tried to remove everything and install it again but nothing changed. I have verified also that the server status is ok in Berkeley.

The computers I use are XP Pro with SP1. Does anybody have any guess what could be wrong with me? Or how can I detect the real problem?

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Before trying to use the script, had you sucessfully got Boinc running on at least one of your PCs? That would establish whether it is an issue with the script processor it's configuration, or elsewhere, perhaps on your network.

Back
Top Bottom