What’s the bottleneck here?

Associate
Planet Zoo at full settings for 1080p. Very jerky at times.

I’m in a time loop running an FX-8350, 8GB and ASUS HD7950 3GB.

I think this roughly meets the minimum requirements so presumably I shouldn’t expect smooth play at the top settings (although I’ve just come out of hibernation and learned about 1440p and 4K gaming so hardly seems top). Reckon I can just switch out the GPU and leave the CPU alone for now?

Thanks.

Associate
At 1080 P CPU and RAM.

At 1440p more graphics card....

Your RAM seems low even for such and old game, Windows 10 loves RAM. Cheapest test upgrade would be RAM, is that DDR3? If so suggest second hand DDR 3.

Permabanned
1080p is more about the CPU and I would bet so is that game (but not my genre).

Either OC the CPU or raise the RES to 1440p to test (Nvidia call it DSR not sure on what AMD call it)

And above user got here first as I was mid-type. :)

Soldato
That's positively ancient! The best way to find out is to run MSI Afterburner with Rivatuner. Monitor CPU usage, GPU usage, VRAM usage, and RAM usage.

Associate
OP
Thanks both. Perhaps the first step is indeed to up the RAM... DDR3. Is it OK to mix as long as they have the same timings? I think I have this Corsair 1.5v 9-9-9-24.

How do I test at 1440p JohnG7 if I’m limited by my monitor?

Associate
OP
Thanks. What’s the idea then, if it doesn’t keel over at 1440 it solidifies the bottleneck at the CPU?

Also I’ve just seen OC sell exactly the same RAM I bought 8 years ago, and is now £10 more. Nuts. Is that just legacy inflation?

Associate
OP
Well the answer seems to be exactly what you all said... hugely CPU & RAM limited. Switching between low and ultra settings and maintaining a joyful 13 fps was a clue too.

Given the cost of even second hand DDR3 it's time to upgrade I think!

I think my PSU is OK (Corsair TX 650W).
I have an old Samsung SSD (840 Series Basic) which I assume is OK.
I was hoping to reuse Hyper 212 EVO but I can't find any replacement plates.

Time to look for CPU / Mobo / RAM combo. Coolermaster 690 II can take full ATX - not sure I need to change that.

Man of Honour
Well the answer seems to be exactly what you all said... hugely CPU & RAM limited. Switching between low and ultra settings and maintaining a joyful 13 fps was a clue too.

Given the cost of even second hand DDR3 it's time to upgrade I think!

I think my PSU is OK (Corsair TX 650W).
I have an old Samsung SSD (840 Series Basic) which I assume is OK.
I was hoping to reuse Hyper 212 EVO but I can't find any replacement plates.

Time to look for CPU / Mobo / RAM combo. Coolermaster 690 II can take full ATX - not sure I need to change that.
£300 should get you a 6 core cpu ,16gb ram and motherboard.

Associate
OP
I’m more than happy with the 10400f. Will any of the chipsets run 11th gen? Would be nice to have an upgrade path for when things settle down. Also if I’m not planning on overclocking, is there really much difference between them that I should know?

Back
Top Bottom