1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the chances on getting my money back..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by esoteric, May 19, 2017.

1. esoteric

Wise Guy

Just logged into my online banking after a checkout process went weird and wanted to see if money had been taken, that's when I noticed £20 being taken by my gym. What's wrong about that is I last went to the gym Dec 2015 and on my last visit I cancelled my membership.

So for a year and half unbeknownst to me they have been taking £20 which by now has amassed to £360.

2. Rroff

Caporegime

Do you have proof you cancelled the membership? that will make it a lot easier.

3. Clov!s

Capodecina

You don't check your bank very often then? How can you not notice £20 being charged by a gym every month?

4. Slam62

Soldato

Cheap gym

5. kindai

Mobster

How can you not notice someone taking money out each month for a service you dont use :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: For a year and a half?!

6. esoteric

Wise Guy

No I don't check my statements, they go straight into the shredder and I rarely use my online banking. I have no reason to look at them as I have no debits, or thought I had no debits.

7. BDEE

Wise Guy

This.

How people can be so clueless about what is going on in their bank account is beyond me.

8. mrbell1984

Capodecina

The people that don't check. Anyway you will have to prove you cancelled it and wasn't going. Ring up and cancel it.

9. Rroff

Caporegime

Wish I could live in your world and be blissfully unconcerned if a company accidentally overcharged me or the chance of someone using the bank account fraudulent as does happen unfortunately.

10. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

How is the money being taken? is it Direct Debit?

11. esoteric

Wise Guy

Yes.

12. The Craig

Soldato

Good lord I check my bank account at least 10 times a week (it's a bad habit I know I don't need to!)

13. D.P.

Caporegime

I check every few months but I don;t scorn over ever purchase.

14. bowey

Gangster

I'm guilty of having audible come out every month for 5 years without me realising :/

15. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Speak to your bank, be really nice nice and ask to do a Direct Debit Indemnity Claim. Tell them you cancelled and they have been fraudulently taking payment. They will refund you immediately and then go to the gym to reclaim the money back.

After that, well who knows. If you have no proof of cancellation then expect them to sell the debt on.

16. CREATIVE!11

Mobster

You don't check your bank ?!

Online banking I pretty much check it near daily. At least once or twice a week.

17. Dis86

Capodecina

Purely based on my thread I checked my account. Realised I had more money than I thought and dumped it in to my mortgage. Woops.

18. Hikari Kisugi

Capodecina

WOW!
    You never check your statements. You never consider fraud, or errors?

19. novaenough

Hitman

It would appear not :eek:
    I look through mine monthly to check, usually at the same time I pay my credit card.

20. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

Ah you will need to cancel gym direct debit, you can cancel it on your online banking, full list of direct debits your bank made will be show on your account. Years ago I been cancelled 2 direct debits through online banking.