whats the dumbest thing youve done in a car

Associate
OP
the best one was a mk2 cortina with a bungie round the door piller keeping it closed, no seatbelts ( theyd been cut out to act as a tow roap the week before) and the mother of all subs roughly cut into the rear shelf ( with nothing to support it) my mate tried to powerslide it round a tight left hand corner, the door flew open ( as he was leaning on it ) and he slid out on to the road butt first, he managed to hang on to the wheel though, but yanked it hard right hand down, wich ment we mounted the kerb and hit a lamp post, however we didnt hit it straight on, so the car rode up it untill the car was caught by the bumper on the top of a wall. the sub went through the windscreen and never was seen again and my mate couldnt sit down for three weeks due to road rash!
happy days

Zip

Zip

Soldato
The most dumbest thing ive done was Drove a car for over 1400kms In less then a week then coming home and finding out i had mixed up the Registration Expiry date with Another date so i was Driving an Unregistered car the entire time :eek:

The most damaging this would be Driving down an Uber skinny dirt road at 80-100kph with trees either side and messing up on the corner due to a late gear change that made the car unstable and had it slide out then over corrected it and went up a foot high embankment then into a tree. It Broke an Indicator light cover and took the tree right out of the ground :p

Soldato
I have 2 notable things
1) Going off roading with one of my friends who has a defender, driving down a dirt track at about 50mph, getting to a couple of bumps and almost losing control
2) Getting into my 18 year old buddys car which is a BMW 645i, this was in bangkok where no traffic laws apply to him, no undertaking laws or anything, driving at around 130-140 down the highway with plenty of traffic and weaving in and out. Him then turning the DSC off and doing a 180 without telling me he was about to do it. The worst thing was him driving up a small hill in bangkok and not bieng able to see the other side of the hill, at around 50 mph, when he reaches the top of the hill he sees a long quee of traffic and the slams on the anchors and slows down and moves over to the left lane at the same time, luckily there was no one there otherwise it would have been an accident. I had to clean my pants after sitting in the car for a day. TBH I was amazed that he had only had 2 accidents in 4 years of driving - 1 in an S class and 1 in an Alpina.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was 18 and going to a LAN party. We were heading down a small country road (which I didn't know) far too fast and the road was wet

Hit a hairpin going far too fast and started to understeer off the road. Hit the brakes which caused the wheels to lock up and went straight into an old oak tree.

The whole of the bonnet was caved in, the airbags went off and the gearbox was pushed back by about a foot. Very lucky to walk off without any injuries (save the usual seatbelt burns and damaged ribs). My friend in the passenger side broke his wrist unfortunately

This was all in a 2000 Mk 4 Vauxhall Astra

Soldato
Going down a wide country lane, going round a sweeping left hander, 3rd gear, 75mph.

Phesant. Tractor. Brown trousers

Thankfully the only thing damaged was my underwear, and it also helped me to realise what ABS on a 1300kg car feels like.

Associate
A day after I passed my basic driving exam in the Army, I was asked to move a landrover.

Easy, said I.

Jump in cab, key in, turn engine over.

WHACK!

Rover jumps forward two foot straight into a wall. Someone forgot to mention everybody parks the land rovers in gear.

Soldato
Probably racing around Abersytwyth town centre at 3am reaching speeds of up tp 70mph going past the police station, and taking a roundabout the wrong way (I could see the approaches were clear but even so) and scaring the **** out of my mate when he got to the 1 O'clock exit up to Penparcu (pronounced Penparkee).

Dodgy stuff. About a month after passing my test. I was 19 at the time, so all this raising the driving age is a load of carp IMO.

Permabanned
monkeyspank said:
.... waiting for brian harvey to post...

harv-av.gif

:D

Caporegime
Totalling my mums pride & joy Fiesta XR2 which was about 6 months old at the time, I rolled it 4 times, losing all of the glass except from the tailgate, denting / scratching every panel and then smashing the front of the car into an embankment & then spinning it around hard enough to take out the rear lights!

Of all days, this happened on Mothers day! :eek: :o

Permabanned
Dumbest thing I did was (aged 18) was drive a lunatic in a 2.0 Saph, in the snow. Ended up driving sideways down a hill and narrowly missed a bus pulling out.

Dumbest thing a mate did was (in a Cosworth powered Mk1 Cortina) was to chase a Mitsi GTO up a motorway. Now, the Cortina was about as aero-dymanic as a brick so of course, by the time they reached 120+mph, the air coming off the GTO slipped under the Cortina and flipped it into the barrier.

Dumbest thing another (acquaintence) did was drive from Newcastle to Kent whilst tripping on LSD. He goes down the M1, at night and in fog and stops dead in the middle of motorway because he saw a red traffic light. On the same journey, he stopped at a ped crossing because the orange ball turned into a man and started chasing him. He actually left the car there and ran..... Yes, he was a numpty.

Permabanned
going down a residential road at 60mph (sometime:AM), parked cars all the way down a right hand bend.
Lorry comes around the corner and was not about to stop.
I'd have slid if I'd braked, so I went for it.
I clipped both my wing mirrors as I passed the cars on one side and the lorry on the other... so it was a bit of a squeeze !

&
I was waiting behind two cars pacing each other on both lanes of an A-road,
but no-one was letting the other get ahead (both doing about 75mph) and they wouldn't pull over to let me pass.
So I followed the central white line and passed in between them.
They were not impressed.

Caporegime
bitslice said:
Lorry comes around the corner and was not about to stop.
I'd have slid if I'd braked, so I went for it.
I clipped both my wing mirrors as I passed the cars on one side and the lorry on the other... so it was a bit of a squeeze !

Happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Associate
Not done anything particularly stupid myself (apart from owning 2 Reliant Robins), but, my brother decided to try his newly-purchased Jeep Cherokee on sand. We drove down the slipway, onto the beach, and went for a drive along the tide line.
Needless to say, the thing got stuck, with the tide coming in. I went off to the local pub, to find a helpful farmer. Found a guy with an old Landy with a winch, who agreed to help. By the time we got back, the Jeep was up to it's door handles in the sea. Dragged it out OK, and managed to drive back home.
Unfortunately, the rear diff was full of sand, and was totally shot.

Permabanned
Stupidest thing for me was being too young and stupid to refuse to drive the following for my 1st boss after leaving school :-
Audi 100 + 4 wheel stocktrailer.Now this is a stupid combination any way you look at it,but completly no-brain senseless in this case as the trailer hitch was 6in higher than the car hitch,so it was basically lifting the back of the car up when we eventually got it on.I did say i wasn't happy about it,but he said it would be ok if i drove slowly and the trailer was empty - just taking it 20 miles to his brothers. Anyhow,got most of the way nice and steady,then on a completly straight bit of road (doing c40mph) there was a lorry coming towards me with a few cars behind him,thought nothing of it until the lorry went passed and the turbulence hit the trailer :eek: Completly lost control,and through shear fear I just turned the car away from the oncoming traffic into the fence on the side of the road.Luckily i didn't hit anyone and two cars stopped to check i was ok,but i was too shook up and too naive to even think of getting statements of them as to what had happened,and as i was ok they left me to it.
Phoned boss,he went ballistic -didnt believe anything i told him about what happened and just said it was me being stupid and driving too fast.I got sacked at the end of the week,and by this time we had also found out that although there was very little exterior damage bar the passengerside wing,it was a right-off because the chassis had been twisted by the drawbar.

With more experience the accident wouldn't have happened -i would have known to expect a bit of pull from a passing lorry;i would know what to do to control the snaking etc,etc;but more importantly,with more experience i would have had the guts and sense to tell the man exactly where to go and how stupid he was being to even suggest driving such a thing .Lesson learnt tho

This **** of a boss is the same bloke whose pathetic homebrew repair to a pto shaft had very nearly killed me a few months earlier as well :eek:

In hindsight i should have got H+S on his ass ,but hey-ho ,as it was me driving it,i rightly or wrongly believed it was all my responsibility.I got off lightly from both accidents and a really,really bad boss

Not me this time,but a friend coming back from a 'do' with his GF as front passenger and another couple in the back.Goes round a corner a bit too fast to react quickly enough when he is met by a stationary queue of cars in his lane,skids a bit and hits the back of the car in front.
Wasn't much of an impact,as he was barely moving by the time he hit,but his GF was crying in agony.
Turns out she'd broke her ankle through trying to slow down the car by pushing down hard on an imaginary brake peddle.Apparently this type of thing is not uncommon in accidents,but is the only one i have heard of.

Back
Top Bottom