What's the optimum thing to do here, installing programs/games on non windows SSD question.....

Associate
Just got myself a bigger ssd to store games and keep my old 120gb just for windows and small programs, luxury can install more than one game now.

So I got C: 120 and D: 500 SSD, should I still install origin and steam (the clients not the games I talking here) onto my C drive still becuse do they need to be intergrated into windows 10 with reg etc, for example if I reinstall windows again and I have my clients installed on D (the non windows drive) will they still function, or will they not be in the registery and all that stuff intergrated in with windows and not work?

or can I simple install the clients on D and when i reinstall windows on C drive they will work fine?

If I install the clients on C and the game libraries on D drive, when I delete the clients on C after reinstall will they pick up the pre installed games on D drive with no problem once I have pointed the game library folder to D again? If I install everything on D will they still create the invisable folder appdata with user settings hidden on windows drive

how does this all work, I want to understand it all before I long term install all my Origin and Steam games having just done a fresh install.

What is the optimum way of doing this?

Thanks

Man of Honour
One of the joys of "platforms" such as steam and origin is that they simply point to a directory for their actual game storage. You can simply drag/drop your steam and origin game folders wherever you like, as long as you point your launcher at them in the settings you'll be able to start them from within that platform.

Associate
OP
One of the joys of "platforms" such as steam and origin is that they simply point to a directory for their actual game storage. You can simply drag/drop your steam and origin game folders wherever you like, as long as you point your launcher at them in the settings you'll be able to start them from within that platform.

So you think clients on C and games on D be best in my case? when I reinstall windows and install steam etc again, they will find my installed games on D no problem?

Man of Honour
So you think clients on C and games on D be best in my case? when I reinstall windows and install steam etc again, they will find my installed games on D no problem?

Yes, I've done this multiple times. I transfer game files to:from different machines too and this works, just as long as you put the game files in the folder structure as the launcher expects to see them, it'll recognise them and not redownload.

Back
Top Bottom