What's this cable?

Soldato
lo gents,
Redecorating the spare room and I'm whipping off old NTL wall boxes as I go.

Found this cable inside, and I'm not sure what it is so I'm challenging the experts. Only 2 of the 4 pairs were connected, but it looks like Ethernet cable. Is it Cat5? Cat5e (doubtful but awesome) or something else?

Soldato
Cat5, would have been used in case a pair of cores broke so the engineers wouldn't have had to run a complete new cable and could have used an alternative pair. Chances are even if it is Cat5 not "e" you will still be able to use it to patch down to wherever the other NTL master socket is and get gigabit between them.

Soldato
OP
Cat5, used by plenty of phone engineers as they have a spare set of cables if required, It should have some writing on the sleeving.

Yes I looked as far as the entry and the master socket but couldn't see any. Chuffed its cat5 as suspected so will wire up a couple of sockets and see what speeds I can get.

Thanks lads.

Don
Usually cable has markings on it every metre, it should say the type of cable and length in the reel.

*not always though :)

Do they all go back to one place? Or are they daisy chained together?

Soldato
OP
Usually cable has markings on it every metre, it should say the type of cable and length in the reel.

*not always though :)

Do they all go back to one place? Or are they daisy chained together?

Some are daisy chained together, I think the one pictured is the end of the chain. I've found 4 boxes and will be using a test meter to see how and where they join together.

I'm not desperate to be networked everywhere, but if I can have a hard point in a couple of locations upstairs and be able to get one into the loft, I'll be delighted.

Got any advice?

Thanks again and I'll pop back if if got updates or questions.

Caporegime
That will be looped in and out of phone sockets around the house, so it's probably useless for what you're planning.

Soldato
OP
Really? That's a shame.

My plan was to feed from the master socket into a bedroom, and connect a 4 port switch there. And from the switch into the loft. Essentially giving me Ethernet into said bedroom and loft, is this not the case?

The only logistics I would need is getting Ethernet from router to master socket where I can bridge the connection.

I didn't think I was barking up the wrong tree here, as long as I my assumptions prove true when I test the lines :(

Soldato
OP
As discussed I don't need every room. One room upstairs would suffice, then through a switch into the loft. The switch gives me potential to for other first floor cable runs if needed.

If I can get a lot of my home automation gear and a run for my uniquiti AP in the loft I'd be delighted.

Soldato
What you describe definitely sounds possible.

Knock up a quick diagram of where the cables run and how you want to use them and someone will check it for you.

Don
You can't use daisy chains for multiple devices. You'll need each cable to go into a
What you describe definitely sounds possible.

Knock up a quick diagram of where the cables run and how you want to use them and someone will check it for you.
This. From what you've said in the last couple of posts, sounds ok..

Back
Top Bottom