What's this like for car servicing charge?

Associate
Hi all,

as usual, I'm a moron when it comes to these things, happy with a car that goes from A to B and frankly I need to learn more maintenance skills but the usual excuse of time etc...

I'm curious if this is sensible enough for a service charge, the synthetic oil charge stands out to me as hefty and something I could potentially just sort myself...but would the oil keep considering we've only one car? Screenwash is a right joke but I'll let that one slide as I think I forgot to top up beforehand.

Basically just looking to eliminate stupid wasting of money if I can sort it myself easily enough and in general if the base service price seems okay. The vehicle is a Hyundai i20 2013 (1.2L)

service = 96
Filter air cleaner = 11.48
Brake fluid DOT4 = 2.23
Oil filter = 8.93
gasket-oil plug = 0.72
5W30 Fully synthetic oil = 34.99
Screenwash = 2.16
Total = 156.51

https://imgur.com/jatZwlB

jatZwlB.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Brake fluid looks really cheap.

Notice even when you brim your screenwash before taking it in, they still try to bill you for some.

Soldato
That's more than reasonable, you'll be surprised how much oil is, look at Tesco and see how much they charge for a 5 litre fully synthetic oil, be about the same price.

Soldato
Seems pretty good to me. Sure, you could do the oil and filter changes yourself and it would probably cost £40-50 in parts and an hour or so of your time, but then you no longer get service stamps and to be quite frank, for that money, it's not worth faffing around with. Perfectly reasonable.

Man of Honour
Seems good to me - my brother just had one that was around £390 and a proper service on my pickup is way north of £300 :(

Permabanned
Seems a decent price to me it doesn’t seem like they’ve put much off a mark up on parts.

Oil is about what you would pay if you brought it yourself although they make a massive markup on oil if they buy in bulk.

I was in a Halfords once and happened to glance at an invoice that was left on the counter, it said about £250 for a 240 litre drum, so about a pound a litre. Can’t imagine what they pay to fill a 1000 litre tank.

Soldato
What’s their hourly rate for labour?

What else was inspected during the service?

The materials cost seems reasonable apart from the screenwash scam. Not really worth kicking off over £2 if their service is good otherwise.

Man of Honour
BMW was £13 for screen wash I seem to recall.

"We won't use just water as if it freezes we are liable" they tried to argue...

Soldato
That's an incredibly decent price. £35 for 3.6 litres of fully synth Shell or Castrol oil like most manufacturers use is what you'd pretty much get it in the aftermarket from ECP for.

£2 for screenwash is fair enough and £2 for a brake fluid top up is bang on too.

You've got some really decent prices there, I wouldn't complain!

Associate
OP
That is both cheap and sort of honest, did the car need the wash fluid and brake fluid toped up?

I forgot to get to the screenwash beforehand so happy to accept my own stupidity there, no idea about brake fluid as it isn't something I've done. Thank you all for the comments, didn't think it was too bad, I suspected oil might have been dodgy but glad to hear it's fair enough. Sounds like I've nothing to whinge about, just wanted a sanity check as I've no idea about such things.

Soldato
Why do they top up brake fluid? The only reason the level should drop is because of wear on the brakes. If they keep topping it up you’ve then got to remove fluid when you replace the pads or it’ll overflow. As long as the fluid is above the minimum fill level they should leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom