1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's With The Pricing of The PG279Q ?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dicehunter, 21 May 2017.

1. Dicehunter

Capodecina

So I've been looking at getting the PG279Q for a family member after watching a few reviews and when the monitor came out it was around £650 which I thought was hefty but ok.

I just looked at OCUK and nearly choked, It's now £899, What's with the immense £250 price increase ?

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

Just get the S2716DG unless they really really have to have IPS they will thank you later. Though judging by the price changes and stock looks like its about to go EOL maybe being replaced with a new model dunno.

3. Dicehunter

Capodecina

I was actually looking at the dell, Although I have a suspicion that Dell are probably coming out with an IPS version hence the low stock numbers of the TN.

4. Hedge

Capodecina

Considering I managed to get an AOC 27 inch 165hz g sync ips for £330 (returned as new stock) I think I would puke at spending nearly 3 times as much .

The monitor market makes me rage. It's a disgrace how much they charge for panels.

Input lag or refresh rate doesn't quite cut if for me when a 55 inch quantum dot Hdr Samsung panel costs less money than a 27 inch ips.

5. TheOracle

Capodecina

They know that not many people want to sit close to a 55" TV, so charge a premium.

6. DragonQ

Soldato

Not too surprising, the MG279Q (the version with FreeSync instead of GSync) went from £430 to £500 early this year also. Partially due to exchange rates I imagine.

7. Glanza

Capodecina

Asus tax after using Brexit as an excuse to whack prices up.

8. Dicehunter

Capodecina

It's still being sold on the rainforest for £700 though, Infact it got a price reduction from £740 to £699.99 yesterday and at the other big online PC competitor it's being sold for £759.98 so either OCUK have made a massive pricing mistake or think people won't shop elsewhere :p

9. Nexus18

Caporegime

That's ocuk for you, complete rip off for most stuff.

10. Glanza

Capodecina

Since Brexit was annouced OCUK seem to be expensive on monitors, if you take the x34 predator and the asus 34" both came in around £1100 on OCUK yet on the rainforest you could get them for £900. When I bought my first x34 from OCUK it cost £880 back in Feb 2016.

11. Dicehunter

Capodecina

I'd love an OCUK employee to put their 2 cents in and make clear why they are at least £150 more expensive than all of the competition.

Does 8Pack come round and give you a personal training session for that £150 ? :p

12. fireman999

Gangster

Sheesh,, so glad I got mine for £585.
    £899 is ludicrous.

13. brit~XR

Gangster

Funny thing was that ocuk had the acer predator XB271HU ips for £600 which is the price many places sell it for now which surprised me for ocuk price. 1week later its £750 :) Ocuk tax + rog tax don't mix well together :D

14. JediFragger

Caporegime

Pfffffffffft, I paid £200 for an XB270HU barely 9 months old :p

15. Dicehunter

Capodecina

Bargain :D

As much as I love OCUK I had to go elsewhere for this monitor for my little cousin, No way I was paying £200 more for the same thing and I doubt OCUK would have price matched the rainforests MUCH cheaper prices.

16. mahius

Wise Guy

You can blame G-sync for that. I bought a 27" Asus 1440p 144Hz FreeSync IPS last year for a bit over £400, but the same monitor G-sync version is over £700. And the only difference is that one has FreeSync and the other has G-sync...

Which is why, depsite currently having an Nvidia GPU, I will never buy G-sync. Just isn't worth the premium they ask when the competing tech costs way less.

17. ShakeNBake

Wise Guy

monitor prices have gone insane since brexit.
    seen some jumps from £400 (sale price) pre-brexit to £700 now!!
    not a good time for buying monitor

18. Nexus18

Caporegime

Not just brexit but also due to monitor manufacturers incompetency to release monitors without backlight bleed etc. means that too many people are returning the monitors and as a result ocuk and other retailers have had to up the cost all round in order to compensate for any losses:

19. ZeroG

Hitman

I would do many things for a monitor of that spec for that price (but I won't do that...)

20. Andi-C

Hitman

There is another problem here though as well though, it's driving the price of second hand g-sync monitor's up to silly levels. Some people are selling/asking for more than they bought for in light of the rises, even damaged/faulty panels are being sold of silly money.
    The Rainforest is even pushing their returned (A,B & C) stock to near what the original entry price's we're.

I want to buy one but I'd be mad to throw money at it now, my advice to myself & others is to wait for the new gen stuff to come out. Hopefully this will drive the prices of what's on the market down & also the second hand market.