What's your most amazing live football experience?

Caporegime
If you are a regular follower of your team, what sticks out in your mind most whether it be a trophy win or a fabulous away day?

Mine was in 1994. Charlton were still a first division club, just back to the valley and a lot of kids my age (14) didn't know what a trip to a massive stadium was like.

However, we amazingly reached the QF's of the FA Cup and were rewarded with a trip to Old Trafford :)

My dad's local (which was the Valley pub in Charlton) put on a coach for the regulars and I was allowed to go.

One of the most amazing experiences of my life. Coming from a stadium like the early days Valley and going up the stairs and walking out to Old Trafford was awe inspiring. It was terraces back then and I got right up the front.

The sheer scale of it for someone of my age and experience was mesmerising. It was a fantastic game. Schmeichel was sent off for handball outside the box. We eventually lost 3-1 but gave it a bloody good go with Valley legend Carl Leaburn getting our consolation. The journey home was good. Everyone was knackered but in good spirits as we knew we had put the frighteners up Utd.

We were all talking about how much we would love to be in that league week in week out, without knowing a few years later we would be.

Everything about that day was great. the journey, the songs, the stadium, the game, the away day comradeship. Brill. Although the one thing that will most stcik in my mind was being absolutely blown away by the speed of an up close Andrei Kanchelskis (for those that remember him).

So, regale me with your favourite football story please :)

Soldato
Apart from being at the game last night where we beat Charlton 3-0? :D

Hmmm, well I'd probably say either beating Sunderland or Everton in the FA Cup and League Cup respectively.

The Sunderland game was back in 2006 - it's kinda bittersweet. We took the lead through our new signing from non-league, DJ Campbell, and then conceded a rather unlucky goal. DJ then popped up in the 89th minute with the winner. Going through through was great, we had put together a good team and were pushing for promotion despite our financial woes. That performance highlighted what DJ Campbell was capable of. We sold him a couple of weeks later to Birmingham for £500,000. This likely saved the club's financial position, but it cost us likely promotion...

Beating Everton on penalties in the League Cup last year was great - it had everything a great cup tie needed. We conceded early and looked like we were going to take a spanking, but equalized before halftime and then gave it a real go. Missed a penalty before the end of 90 mins, and then beat them in the penalty shoot out with Jermaine Beckford painted as the villain.

Fun all round!

Caporegime
Coming back against City in the Communtiy Shield this season. Yeah ok I haven't seen much live football, the match was irrelevant but it was a good match, great atmosphere and exciting finish. :)

Associate
Rangers - Parma at Ibrox August 1999. Just had an overnight/early morning flight back from honeymoon in Jamaica, landed at Glasgow after being up for over 24 hours, jet lagged and messed up with time difference and basically went straight to the game. Atmosphere that night was electric and I was only running on adrenaline. We managed to get a surprise 2-0 win against a pretty strong Italian team with the likes of Buffon, Baggio, Ortega, Cannavro and Thuram. Great night, can't remember how I managed to convince the other half to let me go to a game straight off the plane from the honeymoon :D

daz

daz

Soldato
Ipswich v Inter Milan at Portman Road in 2001, 1-0 to Ipswich. Alun Armstrong grabbing the goal in the last 10 minutes. :D

I wish I'd have taken the opportunity to go to the San Siro for the return leg (even though we eventually lost) because it's unlikely I'll get that opportunity any time soon again. :(

Soldato
Ipswich v Inter Milan at Portman Road in 2001, 1-0 to Ipswich. Alun Armstrong grabbing the goal in the last 10 minutes. :D

I wish I'd have taken the opportunity to go to the San Siro for the return leg (even though we eventually lost) because it's unlikely I'll get that opportunity any time soon again. :(

I remember this! Wasn't this when Ipswich's attacking line featured the mighty Finidi George? :)

Soldato
My first Liverpool game. Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal, Neil Mellor scored in the dying minutes to win the game. Still have the match programme full of scratches from jumping up and down on it, celebrating the goal. :D

Was also Alonso's first goal at Anfield and a great Arsenal side at the time.

Soldato
Autowindscreen final at Wembley for Birmingham when we played Carlisle and won! Two things stand out the goal - the shirt coming off with the t-shirt underneath saying "*** on the Villa" and secondly all us bluenoses singing Gary Newbon is a ****** is a ******" and then all of a sudden the Carlisle fans went quiet and they they all joined in with the result being the whole of Wembley singing "Gary Newbon is a ****** is a ******" - strangely ITV's crowd volume was really low when I watched the replay the next day.

Soldato
City v Stoke FA Cup Final last year, whole stadium was buzzing before, during and after. Great songs from both ends and when Stoke fans stayed to clap the players off that was very good.

City v Gillingham has got to be up there also, was only 5 so i dont really remember it but it would have been special.

City v Napoli also a close 3rd as it was our first CL game and at it was at home. Players didnt turn up but still the CL tune and everything was immense.
Sorry for posting 3 but its hard to choose!

Caporegime
City v Stoke FA Cup Final last year, whole stadium was buzzing before, during and after. Great songs from both ends and when Stoke fans stayed to clap the players off that was very good.

City v Gillingham has got to be up there also, was only 5 so i dont really remember it but it would have been special.

City v Napoli also a close 3rd as it was our first CL game and at it was at home. Players didnt turn up but still the CL tune and everything was immense.
Sorry for posting 3 but its hard to choose!

How is it amazing if you can't remember it? o.O

Soldato
How is it amazing if you can't remember it? o.O
Did i say i cant remember it or not really? I can still remember what my family was like and the noise etc. Looking back now it was special to be there. I just wish that like everyone else in my family i could remember it fully and every moment.

Caporegime
Oh don't nit pick, you said you don't really remember it. I don't remember much from when I was five, I certainly would be pressed to remember a football match against Gillingham.

Most amazing game? Probably the recent steel city battles I've been at :cool:

Permabanned
Best game i have seen live too, the timing of the plane was perfect :p

You went or saw it live on TV?

Was an epic game, so much riding on it, then WHU went 2-0 and that was it but then it all changed, you cant buy going to games like that and seeing it happen before your eyes. You cant get that from a TV screen.

Associate
Juventus 2 v 3 Manchester United 21/04/99. Turin.

The Champions league semi final the best game i have been to

The last 3 minutes of the final were not bad as well but that game in Turin is my favourite 2 - 0 down in first 10 mins and winning 3 - 2 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom