What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Soldato
OP
Can I choose a game when it was in a certain state and not how it is now?

If so, PUBG just before it was properly released was one of the best games i've ever played in my adult life. All I could think about all day at work was getting home and jumping on with my usual squad, some of the epic battles, hilarious moments and the heart rate spiking final circles just can't be beaten in my mind.

It's a shame that it just flopped so hard for me, when they started changing the loot tables around and introducing the new maps I just fell out of love with it, as well as the massive wave of hackers when it properly released. Suppose that's just the way of gaming now with cosmetic items trading for real money.

If I can't have that small 12 month window of PUBG, then I think i'd have to say Battlefield 2.

Reminds me of a simpler time, both in my life and gaming.

Being 13-16 and having a core group of friends to play with every night, as well as my dad and some of his friends.

One of my fondest memories of BF2 was on Mashtuur City, with someone flying a black hawk, two people on the guns and the other 3 or 4 seats filled with squad mates. Pilot would drop us high over a cap point on the 64 player version of the map, we'd parachute into the point, clear the enemy with the help of the chopper gunners and start capping ready for the chopper to come pick us up to move to the next point, all with great comms and tactics.

Again, changes to the game after a few years turned it into 24/7 Karkand Infanty Only Nade fests which just got frustrating as you couldn't really move more than 50m without being blown to bits by a grenade, which took away the tactical squad element of clearing points and securing then holding them :(

I'm not sure what your 1 choice is, sorry, BF2 ? or do you want PUBG ?

Don
World of Warcraft. I've playing it since launch (which is about 17 years now) and only recently packed it in. Any game that can hold my attention for that long must be good.

Caporegime
World of Warcraft. I've playing it since launch (which is about 17 years now) and only recently packed it in. Any game that can hold my attention for that long must be good.

Amen brother. When they relaunched Vanilla I was chatting with people who I hadn't spoken to for over a decade. Was a proper nostalgia trip. The missus was looking at me like a weirdo chatting to all these people like I knew them like my brother. It was amazing to see how some people had changed and some had just stayed the same.

I would love to experience something like that again although will more than likely be when I retire as I just do not have the time to sink into a game with the level I would want to be.

Associate
GoldenEye N64

Some of the best times of my life were at sleepovers with a load of friends having marathon GoldenEye sessions.
Four player split screen, Licence to Kill, Stack, pistols only, no Oddjob, winner stays on.

It was amazing partly because although it is a relatively complex game, the auto-snap shooting and smooth moving made it quite easy, so that anyone could enjoy it. I had friends who weren't big into games who also loved it. It was a lot of people's first try at 3D FPS.

Brilliant single player too.

Permabanned
Shenmue.
Gran Turismo.
Tomb Raider.
Goldeneye if you can stand the low FPS.
Resident Evil 2 / CVX

Most games go from my earliest memories of gaming as they have the largest impact just like everyone else's.

Back
Top Bottom