What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Soldato
One I'd certainly consider is Final Fantasy VII on the PS1.

Bought the console purely for that game, was so hyped up for it, and wasn't disappointed.

Was about to post this exact same thing. Played a few hours at a mates house when I was staying over, went out and bought a PlayStation and copy of the game the next day.

There have been many great games I've played over the years, but nothing quite comes close to the magic of it. Shame they made such a mess of the "remake" (it's basically a completely different game).

To the OP, I feel the Supcomm love, have you heard of a game called Beyond All Reason? It's basically a modern indie version of SC:FA

Soldato
Tough one, if it was time played then it would be WoW no question. But for me it's Max Payne 3, cracking story, perfectly voice acted and the best game soundtrack ever. I play through it once a year, nothing else beats it.

Associate
Command and Conquer red alert 2. Yuri revenge update.

RTS multilayer mayhem. All construction yards and all tech trees. Many many hours playing with so many different ways to play.
I don't think any RTS has made me laugh do much while playing.

Soldato
tricky one.

part of me wants to say skyrim, because for its many many faults it's the only game i've bought on more than 1 platform.

part of me wants to say kerbal space program, because it was the game i wanted to exist as a kid but the tech didn't allow it.

part of me wants to say arma, because i can think of no other game i'd tolerate having such awful performance

however, given all 3 of those rely very heavily on modding for me to really enjoy them....

imma have to say borderlands 2, because it's the most hours i've sunk into any single game whilst playing it as intended, unmodified, and without quitting due to major bugs (although granted some are manifesting now i'm replaying in coop)

shame it's not a worst game of all time list, because i've recently attempted to play black ops 2 and that definately makes the cut for both being inexcusably broken and the short time it was working the game just sucked with about 50% of the gameplay being cutscenes and those cutscenes spectacularly failing to explain the story or be entertaining.....

Soldato
OP
To the OP, I feel the Supcomm love, have you heard of a game called Beyond All Reason? It's basically a modern indie version of SC:FA

Yeah heard of it, but it doesn't click with me - there is another one that was featured on Gyle's channel recently, that is basically SUPCOM FAF 100% with better graphics, I forget its name.

Associate
Halo 3.

It would have been different if it was PC only. No other game offered good campaign, ranked competitive multiplayer, social multiplayer, co-op, custom games, and laughs after laughs of childish fun. There's also the soundtrack.

It's a hard choice for sure, and a few come to mind. I've spent forever on C&Cs but they don't feel me with that love.
Then there's Stalker SOC, beautiful game that i first played maybe 8yrs after release. Atmosphere for days, never played a game like it. But it's just not polished, which is fine(!), but it's less content than Halo.
Final Fantasy 9 was my very near choice. It's a bit easy, but i feel it's just better gameplay than FF7, and the story is really nice, music score is superb.

Associate
Hmm, top 3 are...

UT99
Ori and the blind forest + the sequel, will of the wisps
Far Cry 3

I think it's going to have to be UT99 as the number 1, so many hours spent playing that, what a game!
It's shame a shame Fortnite became such a success and stopped development of the new Unreal :(

Soldato
The last of us (the first one)

As a life long pc gamer who occasionally dabbles into console exclusives should they entice me enough. I have never in tens of thousands of hours and many hundreds of games of all genres played enjoyed and felt so moved by a story within a game as wel as the anazingly written character development. i have now finished this game 7 times and still find it brilliant.

sure the mechanics are a little janky and arguably too easy but the story and development of characters and relationships more than makes up for that.

i haven’t played TLOU2 yet as i want to play the remaster on ps5 (or preferably pc if that happens)

Soldato
Super Metroid.

Wasn't even difficult to pick that as my favourite. Played it through again last year on my son's Switch, and still loved it.

Oddly, aside from briefly trying the original Metroid on the Switch emulator, I've never played any other Metroid game at all.

Soldato
UT '99, my first online shooter, spent so many hours playing it and hunting down decent custom material. Zeroping instagib DM was revolutionary, back in the days of being a HPB.

Back
Top Bottom