What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Soldato
Got to be either Half-life or Ultima Online for me.

Both stood apart from anything else at the time, although I think Ultima Online nudges it due to the incredible introduction to multiplayer it gave me.

Associate
No-one gone for one of the Mass Effect games?

My list would be:
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 2
KOTOR
Witcher 3

But think I'll plump for Mass Effect 2, it blew me away when I first played it

Soldato
Tough call

Going back as far as the original Max Payne - unreal - was obsessed with it and the "bullet time" effects it brought to gaming.

Loads of notable mentions as well - PUBG/Project Reality: Battlefield 2/Half Life/ Goldeneye on N64 with 4 players..../

For me - based on pure play time, enjoyment, frustration and every other emotion - Escape from Tarkov....

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Damn this is a hard one!

I think my shortlist would be:
Counter Strike (1.6 and prior)
Star Wars Galaxies
World of Warcraft (original + first few expansions)
C&C Red Alert 2
DotA (original WC3 mod, DOTA2 is good, just not quite the same, especially now)
Escape from Tarkov

Honourable console mention - Rambo on the Megadrive.

I don’t know if I can just pick one of the above, they were all games at stages of my life I couldn’t put down but I need to sit down and work out if that’s just because of the people I played with and met online, or the actual game itself.

Permabanned
Dragon age origins
Mass effect 2
Resident Evil 4
Witcher 3
Bioshock
Dark souls (any of them really)
Elder scrolls Obvlivion

Special mention goes out to Mirrors edge. Its a game I run through every couple of years and its like comfort food to me. I just love playing through it.

Associate
Planetside (the original) - in my opinion, in it's day it was massively overlooked and WAY ahead of its time. (but its steep learning curve and monthly subscription probably didn't help to draw new players in). It was an amazing game for its time - the servers don't run anymore, so it's not really something accessible now, so I'm unsure if it could pass the criteria of regularly being re-played tho...

The game came out in 2003, had 3 teams/empires each map could hold up to 166 players (later dropped to 133 to help populate multiple servers) for each side. So, a fps shooter with a 498 (later 399) player servers!!! Not just a fps, but also 12 different common ground vehicles (plus an additional 4 specific to each empire/team), then 7 different aircraft. I think there were approx 10 big maps (plus smaller ones), loads of weapons, skills, abilities etc. Compared with modern shooters, the only thing really missing was location damage. Even today, 18.5 years later, something recent like Battlefield 2042 brags about only 128 players (and nowhere near the weapons, vehicles or customisation).

Soldato
Deus Ex

Nothing has ever come close to that single player gaming experience in 20+ years.

Honourable mentions to BF2, Bio Shock, Max Payne and Control.

Permabanned
If I think of the game that had the biggest impact on me and my gaming tastes then it has to be Unreal Tournament 1999. That was my first proper entry into online gaming way back when and I was hooked on it for years.

And literally at the exact same moment @Smokey Deza said the same game. It has to be an undeniable fact.

Same for me, first online game and all that. Also remember my very first game and how dumbstruck I was. I'd been playing offline for six months thinking I was dead good, but the style of play online was just so different, and I quickly branded everyone a cheater :D

Also had no notion of what 'ping' was and why there was a significant projectile delay when firing weapons, lol.

Awesome years, though. I missed this game from time to time when it started to die out. Probably still do.

Deus Ex

Nothing has ever come close to that single player gaming experience in 20+ years.

Totally agree. JC Denton should be top, not that Gerald weirdo.

It's shame Fortnite became such a success and stopped development of the new Unreal :(

Can't really blame them but yes, as the Alpha was not bad at all and already had a fair few players. You'd think with how rich it's made them, they could afford to continue developing it still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom