What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Caporegime
I'm going to go for American Truck Simulator. It's the one single game that keeps me a PC gamer. It's the one single game that I'd pay £1500 for a gaming PC to play. And if they are planning to release each state as a DLC, then it will keep me coming back for another 20 years.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There may be some truth in what you say, but for me having played both on their release Witcher 3 was the game I enjoyed.
Fair. Everyone buttons are a little different, like you say even if both games were played on release some will indeed still prefer Witcher 3 which is indeed a great game.

I may play play it again once the RT version is released.

Always felt like an odd one out with Deus Ex at the time. Everyone else had been losing their minds over Half Life for a year or more iirc and although I enjoyed that, Deus Ex was the absolute stand out of those few years for me. Was hard to find many others who felt the same.
Yeah. Half Life does not even come close to Deus Ex as far as I am concerned and I did enjoy it.

Soldato
It depends because i have been gaming since the 1980`s and some games blew me away at the time because they were better than anything i had ever seen before.

But now they look average because newer better versions and games were released.

Gears of War is a good example, on its release day it was the GOAT

Associate
Always felt like an odd one out with Deus Ex at the time. Everyone else had been losing their minds over Half Life for a year or more iirc and although I enjoyed that, Deus Ex was the absolute stand out of those few years for me. Was hard to find many others who felt the same.

Deus Ex was the better game, but HL came almost 2 years earlier when 2 years was a long time in gaming. Also mods

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It depends because i have been gaming since the 1980`s and some games blew me away at the time because they were better than anything i had ever seen before.

But now they look average because newer better versions and games were released.

Gears of War is a good example, on its release day it was the GOAT
True. The reason I still give it to Devs Ex is a mixture of the impact it had back then and the ability to install it now with something like Deus Ex: Revision and still really enjoy it, more so than Witcher 3 anyway :)

For example I have fond memories of games for NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive etc but I know for a fact they would not hold up well now. Recently played a Alex Kidd in Miracle World which I used to enjoy as a kid myself, but it is just a bit of nostalgia and wanted in my steam library, but it probably would not even be in my top 100 now.

Soldato
Deus Ex was the better game, but HL came almost 2 years earlier when 2 years was a long time in gaming. Also mods

I did allude to the gap in time between the releases in my post but literally it felt like the only game people would go on about at that time when discussing PC gaming was Half Life, even a good while after Deus Ex came out.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
That list is so funny and goes to show why compromise should be the best human trait we should enforce, as none of them are in my list apart from DOOM :) :) :)

You people are bloody weird :)

(not played witcher 3, i gave up as I tried to play 1 first and didn't like it much)

Surprised PUBG is up high on the list, for all its sins no other game I have played caused so much tension and utter relief after hard fought cheat free win.

Last edited:
Soldato
That list is so funny and goes to show why compromise should be the best human trait we should enforce, as none of them are in my list apart from DOOM :) :) :)

You people are bloody weird :)

(not played witcher 3, i gave up as I tried to play 1 first and didn't like it much)

Only 1 of those games you consider great?

Associate
Team Fortress Classic <3

Oh my god, that game was the BEST!!!! Nothing has come close since. I suppose it's too complex to make these days?

Public servers were just chaos. Essentially it was supposed to be a CTF style game with a score, but people just kinda played it sandbox style haha

Must have done 10000000 hours on it easily.

Caporegime

In my view Goldeneye was a better single player experience than HL and that came a year earlier. HL garnered its reputation from the mod community and the games it spawned. CS/DOD just to name a couple.

Half Life 2 however was a very good game and am surprised it is not higher up.

I was a massive fan of Deus Ex yet weirdly I cannot remember anything from it. I played it once the way through and remembering it being epic but I have more memories from games like counterstrike, C&C RA2, UT, RTCW that were about at the time.

Soldato
OP
List updated, really pleased with all the votes coming in !!

Have now highlighted the top 3 games & will continue to update the list as votes come in :)

I'll continue to post 'list updated' comments, mostly so I can track where I am ! :cry:

PS: Remember to make it clear what your ONE VOTE is - if you say 'best multi' then 'best single player' - I have no idea what your vote is - make it clear please, make your vote bold font or just say what it is - thanks!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
List updated, really pleased with all the votes coming in !!

Have now highlighted the top 3 games & will continue to update the list as votes come in :)

I'll continue to post 'list updated' comments, mostly so I can track where I am ! :cry:

PS: Remember to make it clear what your ONE VOTE is - if you say 'best multi' then 'best single player' - I have no idea what your vote is - make it clear please, make your vote bold font or just say what it is - thanks!
Shouldn't the tied top 3 not be sorted alphabetically? :p:D

Soldato
I've already voted (Goldeneye), but this thread has got me thinking of way back when..

and back in the heady days of the BBC Micro, i'd have to go with Sabre Wulf or Elite.

Back
Top Bottom