What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Soldato
Very difficult question for me, part of me would say Tie Fighter, Theme Hospital, Baldur's Gate 1/2 or Magic Carpet; but I've played some absolutely wonderful games over the years and I find it very hard to give a top single game.

And that's before we include console as well, as then things like Chrono Trigger or Zelda OOT(I have an american imported cartridge and an NTSC-PAL converter for it for example)

It also becomes messy, because some games, at their time were ABSOLUTELY astounding; a massive leap forwards; but they don't play so well nowadays, others are timeless.

Soldato
Planetside 2 is good, takes a while figuring out where you are going etc but offers the massive battles just like number 1

I've put around 150 hours into PS2 over the years and it never sticks, there is something off with it that I can't put my finger on, just doesn't give me the same satisfaction the first one did.

Although, change of age, priority, gaming time, etc will all feed into that. PS1 was at a time I was self employed, working from home with a crazy amount of spare time.

Soldato
Frontier Elite 2 for me, spent many an hour on my Amiga grinding away to save up for a panther clipper.
good taste sir ;)

(edit Crap... 1 game only - sorry only just saw OP) So it is ELITE then. )

=========================

For me it is a tossup between Elite on the amiga or Kick off 2 also on the amiga.

honourable mention to Stunt Car racer on the amiga, gears of war 2 xbox 360 and elite dangerous on PC (purely due to VR)

but i will be honest, there are a lot there or there abouts, but for me Elite and KO2 are easy picks for the top of the pile.

Associate
I've put around 150 hours into PS2 over the years and it never sticks, there is something off with it that I can't put my finger on, just doesn't give me the same satisfaction the first one did.

Although, change of age, priority, gaming time, etc will all feed into that. PS1 was at a time I was self employed, working from home with a crazy amount of spare time.
agree completely. PS2 has never gelled with me or any of my old PS1 clan. whether it's the mass of microtransactions, all the grinding to unlock vehicle slots, or changes to the dynamic (memory might have me wrong with these tho) but I think there wasn't/isn't common vecs like mossies and reavers for all so what each empire got didn't feel as balanced. There also didn't feel the same tactics at launch without AMSs or ant refuelling trips, lack of organised/trusted command chat. Not sure...

PS1 for it's first few years seemed to be head and shoulders above anything else at the time, whether it's a snapshot of time/life at the time, combined with it pretty much being the 1st mmo-fps. It worked not just as a FPS but as a social platform before facebook or WoW. It's resulted in real world friendships and meet-ups for nearly 20 years. It was truly of its time - tech didn't exist before this time to cope with a 400 player mmo-fps, and since then there's too much fps variety and choice to bring fps-gamers together to a common platform and better mmo's for those wanting the social-side. It's certainly not the best game ever, just my most memorable game from its era (even more so than Elite on the BBC Micro, Spyhunter on Spectrum, Lemmings or Sensible Soccer on Amiga, or Tie Fighter and Doom on DOS - next closest probably Gran Turismo 2 on PS1).

Caporegime
Very difficult question for me, part of me would say Tie Fighter, Theme Hospital, Baldur's Gate 1/2 or Magic Carpet; but I've played some absolutely wonderful games over the years and I find it very hard to give a top single game.

And that's before we include console as well, as then things like Chrono Trigger or Zelda OOT(I have an american imported cartridge and an NTSC-PAL converter for it for example)

It also becomes messy, because some games, at their time were ABSOLUTELY astounding; a massive leap forwards; but they don't play so well nowadays, others are timeless.

Like your theme hospital mention. Transport Tycoon is a pretty timeless game as well. Could easily sink in several hours which for a game released in 1994 is good going.

Soldato
Been 'gaming' since the BBC Micro days.

To pick a GOAT is a bit difficult, and I'd like to say Elite on the beeb, or Civilization 2 on PC... or a bunch of other seminal games, but I think I'll go with The Witcher 3. The attention to detail and depth is bonkers.

Soldato
It’s a tricky one, do we consider just the vanilla game or dlc and mods?

If we can include mods then Minecraft gets my vote. The modding community makes the game reach in to every catergory.

If we ignore mods then Halo 3. The culmination of the first 2 games but they got everything right IMO.

Soldato
If we're sticking solely to PC, then for me it would be Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I found it to be a more interesting take on the multiplayer FPS in a world of stale feeling deathmatch or capture the flag game modes but the fact it was free (and properly free, not riddled with pay to win loot like 'free' games these days) was fantastic. Sank an awful lot of time into that game back in the day, it captured my interest in a way not many PC games have come close to since.

That said, seeing a few console names on the list, if we're including any game on any platform, Ocarina of Time pips it for me and having gone back and played the 3DS version relatively recently, not just from a purely nostalgic perspective, it still plays well today.

Soldato
I used to like one of the old Railroad Tycoon (1990) games on the Amiga back in the day.

Though I bought it on the PC a few years ago and it didn't have the same grip on me.

Soldato
i loved railroad tycoon... infact i enjoyed most of the older school city / infrastructure building games... but for me they got too complex for their own good. i remember the rage of trying to build water supplies in sim city 2000. it was painful with the isometric view making what should have been simple, stupidly hard.

and there has not been a ufo / xcom game i have not loved (terror from the deep probably my fave).... i have completed them all, except for the reboot xcom 2 which is in my list of shame to get to.

Back
Top Bottom