What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Soldato
OP
i loved railroad tycoon... infact i enjoyed most of the older school city / infrastructure building games... but for me they got too complex for their own good. i remember the rage of trying to build water supplies in sim city 2000. it was painful with the isometric view making what should have been simple, stupidly hard.

and there has not been a ufo / xcom game i have not loved (terror from the deep probably my fave).... i have completed them all, except for the reboot xcom 2 which is in my list of shame to get to.

I used to like one of the old Railroad Tycoon (1990) games on the Amiga back in the day.

Though I bought it on the PC a few years ago and it didn't have the same grip on me.

As much as I love The Witcher series.
I’m going to vote for Xcom series.
I’ve been hooked since Rebel Star on the Spectrum.
Like your theme hospital mention. Transport Tycoon is a pretty timeless game as well. Could easily sink in several hours which for a game released in 1994 is good going.
Very difficult question for me, part of me would say Tie Fighter, Theme Hospital, Baldur's Gate 1/2 or Magic Carpet; but I've played some absolutely wonderful games over the years and I find it very hard to give a top single game.

And that's before we include console as well, as then things like Chrono Trigger or Zelda OOT(I have an american imported cartridge and an NTSC-PAL converter for it for example)

It also becomes messy, because some games, at their time were ABSOLUTELY astounding; a massive leap forwards; but they don't play so well nowadays, others are timeless.

So hard to choose

for me it's either Call Of Duty 4 (modern warfare, 2007) or Bloodborne

Please clearly choose ONE GAME to add to the list :)

Soldato
yep clocked that one - many thanks :)

Apologies I just arbitrarily quoted posts (while seeing some is just discussion that I didnt quote), more the ones that appeared to be musings that I couldn't tell what to add to the list :)
no problem... i love posts about old games so i do tend to go off piste a bit on them :) good post btw. in truth there are so many worthy games over so many years...

edit deleted a last line otherwise may have derailed even more :D

edit 2

For the record and you are probably aware but

Elite was Elite..........
Frontier was Elite 2.
Frontier 1st encounters was Elite 3 (essentially, the naming goes off here due to licensing issue with Ian Bell the co creator of the original game)
and Elite Dangerous is Elite 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
no problem... i love posts about old games so i do tend to go off piste a bit on them :) good post btw. in truth there are so many worthy games over so many years...

edit deleted a last line otherwise may have derailed even more :D

edit 2

For the record and you are probably aware but

Elite was Elite..........
Frontier was Elite 2.
Frontier 1st encounters was Elite 3 (essentially, the naming goes off here due to licensing issue with Ian Bell the co creator of the original game)
and Elite Dangerous is Elite 4.

Was not aware thanks! will update next time I update the list.

Yeah discussion in here is awesome, im enjoying reading it - all I need is a clear statement which game to add to the list :p

Otherwise yep enjoying people reminiscing !

Soldato
I'm guessing sports games don't count as the hours playing things like Championship/Football manage or Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution soccer, would eclipse everything else. Football manager is a weird one as you could loose vast amounts of your life playing it, yet it's just a database and an algorithm, so if you were good at maths you could play it in your head.

So many great games: Wing Commander, Wolfenstein 3D, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, C&C, Quake, Sim City, Prince of Persia. 4D Sports Boxing, Microprose F1 GP. TFX etc.. to name a few. The last single player game to really captivate me was Medal of Honour: Allied Assault. Though it was a bit too short.

I'm going to go with "The Secret of Monkey Island" I even bought the remastered version when that came out to play all over again. Great fun, both the first and second instalments.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I'm guessing sports games don't count as the hours playing things like Championship/Football manage or Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution soccer, would eclipse everything else. Football manager is a weird one as you could loose vast amounts of your life playing it, yet it's just a database and an algorithm, so if you were good at maths you could play it in your head.

So many great games: Wing Commander, Wolfenstein 3D, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, C&C, Quake, Sim City, Prince of Persia. 4D Sports Boxing, Microprose F1 GP. TFX etc.. to name a few. The last single player game to really captivate me was Medal of Honour: Allied Assault. Though it was a bit too short.

I'm going to go with "The Secret of Monkey Island" I even bought the remastered version when that came out to play all over again. Great fun, both the first and second instalments.

Any game counts, as long as not console...... Hrs played have nothing to do with it.

Soldato
OP
being as a PC section, why are Console games included ?
that should be in the console section ?

PC = anything with a keyboard ? so Acorn/BBC/Dragon/Archimedes/Amiga/Atari ST through to all PCs ? etc

Any game counts, as long as not console...... Hrs played have nothing to do with it.

Guys its just literally any game ever, but I guess most people are PC gamers.

All that matters is its your NO.1 game, ever, many games have been ported across platforms anyway so moot point.

Lets not get too caught up in semantics and just say your best game ever, bar none.

Back
Top Bottom