What's your warm down/recovery routine

Soldato
What do you do after a cycle etc. Streching/shower/ice etc?

I can feel tingling in my calves/shins these days the next day after a cycle it doesn't feel like natural pain after exercise more like deep muscle damage pain. So jw what you do if anything, personally an ice leg bath sounds like a great remedy.

Soldato
A slow final ~0.5 mile bit back to home, so my heart rate typically drops back under 120bpm.

I grab some water to start re-hydrating.

When I had a niggle last summer around my right femur socket, I did various leg stretches (not just to help the niggle area) as soon as I got in, I've lost the habit recently but really should find it again.

Then food, stuff like oats and milk; meaty sandwich etc. while spending far too long looking at any all out efforts I did.

Soldato
Ashamed to say.....very little. I'm not sure if it's because of the frequency that I ride that I don't get any issues after rides. After really long rides I will stretch a bit.

I focus more on re-hydrating and getting food in me after rides.

Soldato
5 mins Z1.
Shower.
Scoff.
Slob.
Rolling/Stretching before bed. Occasional bit of flossing or self massage if I'm in pieces.

A good nights sleep is very unrated too so hitting the hay early pays off usually.

Soldato
on longer rides from the house
last few km in z1 to cool down
water
shower
food (decent size meal with protien and carbs)

then later in the day
rolling and stretching

will do rolling and stretching every other day even if not cycling, only take 30-40 minutes

Soldato
Stretch, 30g simple carbs in water, shower, coffee.

Do like the colder showers after riding.
Pretty much the same after my weekend rides. Stretching is normally focussed around my hamstrings/back/shoulders which tend to be the tightest.

5 mins Z1.
Shower.
Scoff.
Slob.
Rolling/Stretching before bed. Occasional bit of flossing or self massage if I'm in pieces.

A good nights sleep is very unrated too so hitting the hay early pays off usually.
One of the worst things I've found is slobbing after a ride. I found myself generally worse off in the evening/morning after if I slob after a hard/long ride, just seizing up! :o

With the little one around now I've not really had any chance to slob for ages, so playing with him (sat/rolling on the floor, legs stretching out, stretching by bending over etc) has really seemed to help my recovery. Not seized up for ages!

Sleep is totally underrated, before a big ride and after a big ride! :)

Soldato
Depends entirely on what sort of ride it is. A midweek blast for 90 minutes, I'm fine but anything of moderate intensity over 3hrs I like to get (or keep) moving a little later in the day.

Post (hard) ride napping ftw.

Back
Top Bottom