What's your work IT equipment like?

Soldato
Public sector is even worse with the cuts

Depends. We (local government) started a full kit refresh about three years ago as part of an investing to make longer term savings strategy. Nothing below a Quad Sandy i5 with 4GB in the organisation now. Ongoing support costs are massively lower.

I'm using a ThinkPad P50s. 16GB, SSD, Quadro and a nice IPS screen. :D

Soldato
Depends. We (local government) started a full kit refresh about three years ago as part of an investing to make longer term savings strategy. Nothing below a Quad Sandy i5 with 4GB in the organisation now. Ongoing support costs are massively lower.

I'm using a ThinkPad P50s. 16GB, SSD, Quadro and a nice IPS screen. :D

That's good you were able to find the initial investment. Usually, even when the business case projects long term savings it's still a no lol

You did well! :)

Soldato
Pretty good (NHS). We have hot desks that have dual 23" monitors on swing arms, plus a dock for whichever device you've chosen. I currently have a Surface Pro 4, but you can also choose either an ultra-portable Lenovo laptop or a 'developer' laptop which is a lot more meaty.

Soldato
Decent spec on our newest machines.

Core i7 6800
128Gb RAM
512SSD
GeForce 1060
2x Iiyama 24" Monitors

My other machine isn't quite as powerful, I think it's the same spec but with a GT 710 on that.

Soldato
In 2015 we moved to SSD, i5 and 8GB RAM for all clients both desktop and laptop. I've never heard anyone complain even once since. This is after about 12 years of constant nagging that PCs were slow regardless what we bought.

Get to install shiny new ones next year.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
We run a byod/l with a 12 month refresh policy, just ordered a 2017 mac book Pro 15" with touch pad, should be fairly decent (when it turns up!)

A few of my clients have this policy; how does it work? Do they give you an allowance to spend? What happens after 12-months, you are forced to buy a new device?

Soldato
We moved from a physical keyboard to a touchpad, it's was awful, presses don't register, you mash the wrong keys, work took twice as long, work have ended up bring the old system back tho lolz

Associate
Got a new HP Probook last month:

Core i5 7200U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD

Docking station with 2x ViewSonic 24" monitors

Plus my own Corsair M65 mouse as the ones work provide are a bit crap, would like to get a new KB too.

Man of Honour
I used to have a slow 4gb dual core machine with Windows 10 (opening about a dozen apps including database clients, spreadsheets, etc) and it was horribly slow. I had to reboot it frequently.

I've now got an 8gb machine but it's a VDI and we have to hot desk. Frankly it's crap.

Soldato
My work PC is 7 years old now.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz
Corsair XMS3 6GB
XFX 8800 GTX (Died), Gigabyte windforce GTX 670 2GB
Windows 7 Pro
500 GB Seagate SSD
Toshiba P300 3TB & 6TB HDD
LG DVD Writer
Antec P183
Corsair HX 620W
Dell UltraSharp U2410 24"
Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 220 19" CRT

For InDesign /Illustrator/Photoshop & Excel use. Plus a few random things.

Soldato
That's good you were able to find the initial investment. Usually, even when the business case projects long term savings it's still a no lol

You did well! :)

We did. Some departments were holding on to ancient P4 systems and wouldn't replace failing kit as they held the purse strings. We leveraged XP going out of support to crack open the door, got the budget centralised and got on with replacing a couple thousand PCs and re-imaging the rest.

The organisation is now working on developing sustainable digital systems in-house.

Most of the other authorities in the area are still arse backwards and sweating old assets even though it's costing them money in lost productivity, support costs and higher power bills and buying enormous monolithic systems from crappy software companies with a public sector lock in.

Soldato
Gov't agency here...
Dell Optiplex XE2
i5 4570s, @2.90ghz, 8gb RAM
HP 24" IPS monitor
Does the job but we are switching to laptops soon (no idea on spec) and getting shot of desk based systems.

That means an office re-shuffle is on the way so we have less space.

The only issue for me is the cheap keyboard and mouse. Feels weird after using mine at home.

Soldato
Small office, higher ups have i5 Surface 3's with docking stations and monitors, main office PC's are only 4 core AMD boxes with 4gb ram, those needing a bit more grunt use i5 with 8gb ram. Everyone has access to 2 screens, all PC's fitted with SSD drives. Running this set up for 2 years now and no complaints/issues. We tried some cheap Asus windows tablets for out on the road for an external sales team but getting them trained on the system was too complicated so that system is no longer monitored, but some of them still use them.

SSD and good screen real estate should be the minimum for office use.

Soldato
Pffff.

You lot moaning about PC's check out this badboy.

Intel E5400
2GB Ram
Radeon x600

I use this a lot for autocad, procut and model viewing. To say its painful is an understatement! I cleaned all our PC's out last week as it was a bit quiet and i'm not even joking, there must have been about 8mm of dust and crap covering every component.

Soldato
AMD Phenom 9950 quad core @ 2.6
8GB RAM, with a 240GB slow hard drive
- this is a development machine
At least I have dual screens! (1980x1200 and 1280x1024 - rescued from recycling)

Takes ages to do anything :(

Soldato
Public sector is even worse with the cuts

You'd think, but the gov agency's i work with have some of the latests kit and never have issue signing off new servers etc.

One agency i know of has its users rocking around with 2 14" Dell i7 laptops, they were absorbed into a larger agency but they needed to have access to there older systems. all in the name of cost savings.

Soldato
We have Xeon E5 16XX-based PCs in my department, with 16-64GB ram, SSD for OS, 1TB mech drives, mid-range Quadro video cards and dual 24" screens. I think the oldest is currently ~18 months.

My department's machines are generally the most powerful and they trickle down to other departments with some being >10 years old in the deepest, darkest reaches.

Associate
PC: HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 B28 Processor
RAM: 10 Gb
HDD: 500 GB HDD
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
Monitor: 1x EliteDisplay E231
1x Compaq LE2002

Currently work for HPE\DXC :(

Back
Top Bottom