What's your work IT equipment like?

Soldato
Work laptop is 5 years old, but due to Intel having done jack **** in those 5 years it's still great spec.

i7-2760QM (3.5GHz 4c8t).
24GB DDR3-1600.
2GB FirePro M6100 (HD7870 performance).
1080p IPS screen.
Two 256GB SSDs and a 2TB HDD.
4G modem for when out of the office.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
What's the 7500U like?

It's a good point about employee satisfaction, I've left jobs before partly due to rubbish computers. I don't have heavy power demands but often work in large spreadsheets.

As others mentioned SSDs would make a huge difference.

CPU seems fine for my needs. I don't really thrash it most of the time with what I use as it is typically office apps, RDP sessions and the like.
It's still only a dual core version so not massively different to the similar i5s.
The RAM and SSD are the biggest performance advantages.

Soldato
We're a mac shop. Everyone historically has had a Macbook Air or Pro depending on preference. My 4 year old Air still does everything I need of it as I only work on spreadsheets and email. I could get a new one if I wanted but I'd rather new kit goes to my developers, engineers and consultants who have more of a need for the latest & greatest specs. However the Apple logo is starting to burn into the screen so that may force a change in due course.

Soldato
We're a mac shop. Everyone historically has had a Macbook Air or Pro depending on preference. My 4 year old Air still does everything I need of it as I only work on spreadsheets and email. I could get a new one if I wanted but I'd rather new kit goes to my developers, engineers and consultants who have more of a need for the latest & greatest specs. However the Apple logo is starting to burn into the screen so that may force a change in due course.

You shouldn't get a burnt in picture on modern screens, not unless it's really cheap O_o

Soldato
I'm not sure it's like the burn in image of old. In certain lights I see a dark apple logo outline in the middle of the screen where the lit logo is on the rear of the case.

Caporegime
I'm not sure it's like the burn in image of old. In certain lights I see a dark apple logo outline in the middle of the screen where the lit logo is on the rear of the case.

That's just light shining through from the back

Associate
OP
Here is the beast from my OP:

2pso9kx.jpg

Not the rubbish metal / carbon type effect they went for. It's plastic of course :p

Soldato
Have you guys with poor setups asked for an upgrade? When I was working as an intern they gave me an extra monitor upon request. Fairly beefy setups were required by most of the engineers, though, as their work was CAD based. I had a xeon CPU of some description, 16gb RAM, some AMD CAD graphics card, a 1TB HDD and 2*24inch 1080p screens. Was a pretty sweet setup tbh.

Soldato
There are 22 of us in the office, and most of us do report writing and emails etc. Most of us are on Ivy, Haswell and The Next One After Haswell based systems with 4GB of RAM and mechanical HDDs and integrated graphics. Some of the newer ones have SSDs in them. There is a rogue C2D slimline PC that refuses to die and is actually used heavily for AutoCAD despite the more modern machines everywhere...

The main problem, what with it being a small company that doesn't have an IT department or proper restrictions, is that everyone seems to end up with random toolbars installed and bloaty monitoring software for the printer drivers (why would everyone need that when we all work from the same room, and non of us can order more paper?!) which in turn has start up processes looking for updates to the update software. We do at least all have 24" 1080p screens.

I might as well ask a quick question here as I am the official unofficial IT Guy - is there any benefit in AutoCAD in having a basic discrete graphics card, for solely 2D work?

Back
Top Bottom