What's your work IT equipment like?

Soldato
senior / site techs have HP 250G5 laptops. a bit plasticy and the touchpad is awful but i7-6500u, 16gb, 256gb flash storage. battery life is good.

Man of Honour
Still got the HP Prodesk 400 i5 since I joined 4.5 years ago except upgraded to 8GB ram and Windows 10 from 7. Still runs perfectly fine as its pretty much just a gateway to get to platforms so only local things running would be Office applications, VM tools and such. Dual 22" screens.

Don
A few of my clients have this policy; how does it work? Do they give you an allowance to spend? What happens after 12-months, you are forced to buy a new device?

Get £1500 every year and if you want to keep the previous model then you can't ever moan about lack of performance, compatibility etc...

Just means you get decent kit, even though I have to invest my own money for a slightly better lappy :)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I take it the old device is kept by the company when you purchase a new device or do you get to keep that too?!

Caporegime
14" Latitude 5480 with i5, M2 SSD and 8gb ram, miles lighter than my last latitude which makes it more bearable to travel with, quite good battery life meaning i don't need to mess with the power adaptor whilst on planes.

Associate
OP
Get £1500 every year and if you want to keep the previous model then you can't ever moan about lack of performance, compatibility etc...

Just means you get decent kit, even though I have to invest my own money for a slightly better lappy :)

Isn't that more like CYOD rather than BYOD? Do you get the cash if you don't upgrade each year? :p

Soldato
For me I run a clevo laptop with the following spec:

skylake 6700hq, 32gb ddr4, nvme 512 + 2x 1tb SSD's & GTX970 6gb, 4k ips screen then a couple of other screens plugged in.

Looks exactly like this:

Its getting on a tad now though so is due an upgrade soon I think.

And a 1608i phone as well I believe. Good to see whoever maintains your phones takes their job seriously, you don't even have button labels!!

Soldato
If you're a big Office 365 customer and don't use ExpressRoute then I feel for you.
Office 365 :(

the move from exel 2007 to 216 is welcome (a few annoyances with the new program but ill get used to those)
the email is just ........frustrating.

I spoke with one of our IT guys who is in charge of the move, apparently our parent company in Japan wanted our hosted exchange on the same server as their's, "luckily" Uk have managed to convince them that Europe is a better location for ours.

Associate
I get an iPad Air 2 for my mobile use, but my office computers are at least 10 years, running on processors probably 20 years old, very slow but very reliable doing quite simple work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Usually use large linux servers for engineering simulation tasks and remote desktops on them so local docked laptop power is not so important,

However - Monitors - that is another story
Diffiuclt to pursuade IT department of the productivity benefit of 27" 1440p monitors so that you can easily have two documents next to
one another or an application plus a pdf manual.
The 27" monitors normally come in at ~£400 whereas an IPS 24" 1080p can be had for £200, and they have not come down much in price over several years

Man of Honour
Wasn't that long ago we had systems running Windows ME on Celeron CPUs :s now a mix of core 2 quads and early i5s with Windows 7 though with all the security software and AV, etc. they don't run any faster than the old ME systems. As much as possible if I need to use a computer I'll use my phone or tablet instead.

Associate
I don't work in the office (has easily over 200 office staff), but if I did I'd be very frustrated with their slow PC's as my home/gaming PC is just a pure beast in comparison, and its not even a very expensive / suped up gaming PC (worth over £3k brand new?).

Even their monitors, most have single screens, some have 2 screens. I would so have 3 screens. Actually, their monitors are crap anyway, something like 720p or equivalent, most are 4:3
Their internet/LAN is so very slow as well.

Just terrible for a multi million pound company.

Back
Top Bottom