WhatsApp save photos based on date taken, not date saved

Soldato
Hi all

I receive a lot of photos through WhatsApp and I have switched off the setting to automatically add these to the camera roll. This is so I can control which pictures are and aren't saved. However, when I do choose to save a photo to my camera roll that I have received via WhatsApp, it is saved as if the photo were taken on the date it was saved, not the date the photo was actually taken.

Does anyone know of a way to make WhatsApp save photos based on date taken rather than date saved?

Many thanks

M

Soldato
I assume from Camera Roll, you're using an iPhone? Might be better asking here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/apple-software.110/

On Android all the media is saved as whenever I received it, but I also notice WhatsApp compresses the picture which could also be changing the metadata to that instead of the original values. If you're using WhatsApp to share loads of pictures to save, for quality sake I would use a cloud service instead as WhatsApp can ruin it by a fair bit.

Soldato
I think it's more likely the app (WhatsApp, gallery etc...) is sorting pictures by the EXIF capture date, not the file create date, by default. Some gallery apps allow sorting by different methods, would you be willing to use something else?

Soldato
Does this on android WA too. I mostly encounter this in WA groups during night outs. Luckily most of these pics go onto Google Photos shared albums where I re-arrange them in chronological order.
Android is much better in that you can choose folders you want to back up. With an iPhone it just puts *everything* in the same camera roll, so you can't filter WhatsApp pictures easily (unless something has changed since I had an iPhone 6).

Soldato
Android is much better in that you can choose folders you want to back up. With an iPhone it just puts *everything* in the same camera roll, so you can't filter WhatsApp pictures easily (unless something has changed since I had an iPhone 6).
It hasn't changed looking at a friends advanced iphone, you can't even change the EXIF data either by using another gallery i.e quickpic/foto gallery.

Soldato
OP
I think it's more likely the app (WhatsApp, gallery etc...) is sorting pictures by the EXIF capture date, not the file create date, by default. Some gallery apps allow sorting by different methods, would you be willing to use something else?

Surely if it were saving by EXIF then I wouldn't have a problem? I just want it to always use the EXIF data.

Caporegime
If you go to your album view there should be a folder called WhatsApp. It's right at the bottom under "my albums" on my iPhone running 10.3.2. Didn't realise it was even there until I just looked now.

Back
Top Bottom