When are you going fully electric?

I've recently been getting really good efficiency in the Kona facelift, today maybe a new record 5.5 miles per kW, just a 13 mile commute, urban and country lanes. It seems to just be closely linked to the weather imo, the AC was even on for a bit but doesn't need much as it really works fast. Maybe that's not included in the cars calculations. With a mix of 4 day week and a few days off have gone 2 weeks without charging, 12% remaining, charging at the weekend at some point.

Edit: I charged and the trip for the past 2 weeks was 80%-12%, 203 miles @ 5 miles per kW, that's pretty good.

Last edited:
I'm liking the look of the Cupra Born VZ.

322hp, 79kWh batter, 185kW charging and lots of updates. My Born V2 58kwh drives well with good balance and compliance so if this is better I can see it doing well. The new seats look ace.

Autocar review just out
Nice car and decent upgrade. It would need a better infotainment and physical buttons for me. Also an AWD version would be awesome, tbf it probably is fast enough as it is. Does it have 0 regen/coasting mode and regen on the foot brake?

Strange review, they admit they can't give their opinion because they drove on smooth roads, sounds like they gave their own review 3/5 stars. They also complain that EVs are silent, erm ok.

What's the deal with EVs and steering? People complain about the feel but why is it any different compared to ICE? It's it the same system, unless its steer-by-wire like the Cybertruck?

Last edited:
It would need a better infotainment
can put an aftermarket dspamp+speakers with decent equalizer and usb input from phone - had already studied that solution to accompany a 2nd hand id3 -
- I see little point in speccing up audio like HK, better to put the money into an aftermarket. ... just a pity there isn't a double din space, in dash.

600kg Q - Why didn't Musk make the cyber conform to eu safety standards , like ford lightning ? potential market not big enough to support maintenance infrastructure, is he doing any RHD ones.

"The brakes aren’t as strange as the absence of noise. Having bemoaned some of the artificial racket coming from EVs, the sound of silence was equally disconcerting in the Born VZ. We await someone to solve this conundrum."

They might be waiting a while for an EV to appear that offers something other than 'artificial racket' or 'the sound of silence' :p

can put an aftermarket dspamp+speakers with decent equalizer and usb input from phone - had already studied that solution to accompany a 2nd hand id3 -
- I see little point in speccing up audio like HK, better to put the money into an aftermarket. ... just a pity there isn't a double din space, in dash.

600kg Q - Why didn't Musk make the cyber conform to eu safety standards , like ford lightning ? potential market not big enough to support maintenance infrastructure, is he doing any RHD ones.
He’s on about the screen and functions. Not the sound.

In any case I don’t see an issue with it in mine. People review the car thinking it’s something they are constantly going use it and complain about,what I see as, none issues. A bit like the lack of lights on the heating slider. You can use by feel or just slide the numbers on the screen

Last edited:
I'm liking the look of the Cupra Born VZ.

322hp, 79kWh batter, 185kW charging and lots of updates. My Born V2 58kwh drives well with good balance and compliance so if this is better I can see it doing well. The new seats look ace.

Autocar review just out
Looks a belter !

"The brakes aren’t as strange as the absence of noise. Having bemoaned some of the artificial racket coming from EVs, the sound of silence was equally disconcerting in the Born VZ. We await someone to solve this conundrum."

They might be waiting a while for an EV to appear that offers something other than 'artificial racket' or 'the sound of silence' :p
For me, the best thing about an EV car IS the silence - I must be getting old lol

Probably because you can’t make something looking that awful out of steel which is also safe enough for Europe.

This is no bad thing.

Well clearly I am not going electric for the next three years because I've just ordered a new ICE BMW, unfortunately no electric car I drove came anywhere near the same levels of performance, driving experience and quality I'd expect for the same amount of money.
I got decent money for my p/x although skoda offered nearly £2k more their finance package was poor.
Interested to see whether you drove any EV before making this decision. Performance even from shipping-trolly EVs is better than most ICE cars, driving experience is massively better, and quality just depends on brand so not really related to powertrain.

I got a bit of grief a while ago for saying EV's are the Betamax equivalent, but I still stand by it, only more so nowadays (and nothing to do with the vid I posted).
I’d suggest EVs are the equivalent of 4k streaming.

ICE is like VHS (what do you mean I have to go to the shop to get content for it?!)

Hydrogen Fuel Cell like Betamax.

Last edited:
It’s a wider issue than just EVs (pun intended). Honestly most cars are wider now.

Yeah most of the width has come from the safety features that are now compulsory.
Gone are the days you could have a fiesta with as much side impact protection as a packet of cornflakes.

Funny there were articles 10 years or so ago about the fat cars, the ones that couldn't get into some tiny car parks etc.
Now with most media anti EV those sort of articles are reserved for anti EV sentiment so pointing out silly ICE stuff is pretty much a thing of the past.

EVs are too heavy and too big, write the journalists. Then they go drive their Bland Rover Defenders that will never see a dirt track.

That’s not a typo by the way :D

Last edited:
Yeah most of the width has come from the safety features that are now compulsory.
Gone are the days you could have a fiesta with as much side impact protection as a packet of cornflakes.

Funny there were articles 10 years or so ago about the fat cars, the ones that couldn't get into some tiny car parks etc.
Now with most media anti EV those sort of articles are reserved for anti EV sentiment so pointing out silly ICE stuff is pretty much a thing of the past.

Problem is though some are so wide they can't fit over width restricted bridges etc. Or can just about but end up being scraped. Some are over the max weight as well but I wonder how many drivers realise and check that, the fines can be quite big for that.

They are also a problem on very narrow country lanes. TBH they should put them in commercial vehicle insurance and tax brackets. Same as the large pickups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom