1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When are you going fully electric?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Ricochet J, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Bug One

Capodecina

I'd expect plastic to last longer than any other material.

2. Dis86

Capodecina

So are cars. Hence why things such as the evoque exist.

3. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

You meant premium experience yeah? :p

4. Dis86

Capodecina

Nothing premium about the clattery mess of a diesel engine fitted to them.
    Also we've got 2 new ones at work along with a new rr sport and the paint quality is shocking!

5. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Order the PHEV :cool:

6. Dis86

Capodecina

The sport is. The evoques are diesels. Actually the paint on the sport is very odd. Main body is ok but it's the bumpers and trim that are crap. The fuel cap especially!

7. McPhee

Soldato

I think the Andersen chargers look great. A lot more expensive than the best deals on the market, sure. But as stated, not directly comparable. Can totally see why someone would want something that looks discrete, with no wires running to or from it.

Want the real rip-offs? Chargemaster want £550 for their untethered unit. It's neither good looking, nor particularly functional. And unless things have changed since I got mine (it was a long while ago now) you only get a few years of smart services included before they ask you to cough up more money (IIRC, ~£80/year). Don't know how much they'd charge for a tethered unit with a long cable. But I suspect it wjll be far closer to the price of the Andersen than it should be :p

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. Nasher

Capodecina

Miss-matching bumpers is quite common on modern cars. They paint them at different times and in different locations a lot of the time :(

It's especially noticeable on white.

9. TheOracle

Capodecina

I've just seen an electric DPD van :eek:

10. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

One of the sectors they expect will adopt electric quickly actually

Lower running costs, and the delivery drivers typically do far fewer miles than people think, but they do a lot of stop start

11. Journey

Sgarrista

Weill British Gas have just ordered 1,000 Vauxhall Vivaro-e's as part of their fleet conversion to full electric. The interesting thing seems to be that they are paying for all of the chargers to be installed at the employees households, and educating them with regards to EV's and charging, since they may never have considered one privately.

12. whiskycycle

Wise Guy

In reply to OP: Peugeot e208 GT arriving early September to replace an 18 plate Golf GTE. Missus W is most put out she's having to take on the Yaris hybrid for 6 months until she can sort something herself in March 2021, as the Golf was technically hers to use...

13. McPhee

Soldato

There's one round my way. Was chatting to the chap a few weeks ago about it. He reckons it's saving him £150/week on fuel :eek: He was trying to work out whether it was worth getting a charge point installed at his house, as the van isn't always full the next morning using a 3-pin plug.

14. Journey

Sgarrista

ROFL, he's using a 3-pin every day, crazy. Maybe he should tell them what British Gas are offering there staff as I mentioned above. :D

15. McPhee

Soldato

Indeed.

He's saving ~£650/month on fuel. I'm surprised he even needed to ask the question :p

Then again, Polar Plus is cheaper than charging on a standard electricity tariff at home if you do high mileage, so he might be better off just continuing to top-up on his breaks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  16. Journey

Sgarrista

Yeah Polar Plus is a great deal, even if you are paying the 12ppkWh and the location isn't free vend, assuming you are using the amounts the DPD driver is. Someone should tell him about the prices on Octopus and he'd be onto a winner. :)

17. jpaul

Capodecina

Could you use Octopus for a commercial scenario ? - presumably you, also, declare the electricity, with appropriate proof, on company accounts.
    edit:
    that was already covered , I forgot

18. Journey

Sgarrista

Anyone like the new Nissan Ariya?

I think it looks like a great offering from Nissan.

19. sparkymark75

Mobster

Late to the party but to answer the title...when they become price comparable with todays fossil fuel cars.

20. Journey

Sgarrista

Upfront cost or TCO?