When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
I just rented a Range Rover Evoque P300e PHEV while back in the UK for 10 days and it just reinforced my opinion that PHEVs are a stupid compromise to be honest. It seemed really inefficient when the battery was flat (sub 30mpg!) and really inefficient in EV mode (no more than about 2 miles per kWh). On some longer trips starting with a full battery the economy seemed to settle at 42-45mpg which is probably what a regular diesel Evoque would have done but without using the electricity on top.

A full EV would have been much nicer.

As Jonnycoupe says most of the diesel evoques only do 32-38 mpg. so there is a good 10-20% saving from running in hybrid.

But yes, hybrids aren't for everybody. Big mistake to get one and only do lots and lots of short journeys.

Soldato
I live north west of London and did long weekend trips to the New Forest, the Malverns and to Bakewell in the wifes EPace PHEV and its been great. The 3 pot engine is a bit agricultural but pulling away is like night and day compared to the wifes old diesel EPace where you get instant response due to the EV mode kicking in whereas in the diesel you got huge lag before it did anything and then surged off down the road. The wife much prefers the PHEV too. My only real complaint about the EPace is its awful brake feel @Jonnycoupe sort it out dude :p;)

Associate
But yes, hybrids aren't for everybody. Big mistake to get one and only do lots and lots of short journeys.

Is that not the ideal use case for a Hybrid?

We have a big diesel 4x4 for towing but when not towing the car basically goes nowhere, max 7 miles a day, which is a problem for the diesel DPF, I have been looking at Hybrid and BEV as alternatives and in fact just buying a petrol, with short trips and DPF cleans we are luck to to 23mpg anyway, doubt a petrol would be much worse at this level. anyway, the full electric seems great but not ideal for towing, the PHEV perfect in that I can have a easy to fuel car when towing/touring, at this point it is inefficient whether you are electric or on fuel, then I'd just run of off home electric other times, is my thinking wrong, what am I missing, what is the problem only doing short trips on hybrid electric?

Soldato
Yeah short journeys are exactly where a PHEV comes in useful. Long journeys where you run out of battery are the worst case as you have to tow the weight of the battery around with your small ICE engine

Caporegime
i sort of meant doing short journeys of electric alone. Sorry didnt make myself clear. You really should be getting a BEV if that is your main use.

@sandys Yes hybrid ideal for towing, one of the reasons I have ordered an GLE 350de hybrid. 3,500kgs towing limit.

Soldato
Well I am off the ICE wagon, put an order in for the Hyundai Ionic 5 should be here by Christmas.
Congrats,

I would love one and have test driven a Premium in Galactic Grey and preferred it overall to the VAG Group equivalents and because of the 80's tech styling I put it above a Model 3 as well..

What spec did you go for?

I was offered an Ultimate with Tech/Eco packs for £47220 for December delivery, but I baulked at the financing options that just didn't make sense as it's really for the Mrs with me driving it very occasionally..

Soldato
Congrats,

I would love one and have test driven a Premium in Galactic Grey and preferred it overall to the VAG Group equivalents and because of the 80's tech styling I put it above a Model 3 as well..

I was offered an Ultimate with Tech/Eco packs for £47220 for December delivery, but I baulked at the financing options that just didn't make sense as it's really for the Mrs with me driving it very occasionally..

I'm the opposite and I know it's subjective but the 80s retro styling just fails for me. It is trying too hard with 80s retro and modern angular styling and while it looks cool, cool tends to not be cool very long. I am happy with the Audi Q4 Sportback styling as it looks good without trying too hard and does not look too boring like the Enyaq IMHO. So my thoughts are that the Q4 Sportback will still look good in a few years when the Ioniq 5 will look "so last year".

Obvioulsy everyone is different but the fact that VAG are making normal cars that happen to be electric is why I like them so much more. I have never liked cars (EV or not) that scream look at me.

Though of course this is all just subjective opinion and I always wish people the best with any car they purchase.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Nice, jealous! Hopefully mine arrives in next few weeks. What colour dis your boss get?
Grey, which is a bit boring, but it suits the car. Doesn't make it look quite so big.
Apart from using the Mustang name I have always thought they looked good and great value for money. Good looks and well specced.
Yes indeed! Massive tablet in the middle ala Tesla, but with an added wheel. Lots of space inside, soft leather, etc. Funky door poppers for door handles.
Lots to break :D

Man of Honour
Nearly bought a Leaf yesterday but unfortunately something came up which has dramatically changed my vehicle needs going forward before I'd committed to purchasing it and it would be the wrong vehicle. Glad I didn't go through with it as the salesman got quite narky with me despite being all no obligation kind of talk initially. I can understand the frustration it wasn't ideal but not very professional - wasn't like I'd left them in the lurch and made an effort to inform them as soon as possible - many people would have just left them hanging.

Funny how so many dealers are all smiles up front but once they've got your money (or not in this case) you see another side of them.

EDIT: Funny thing is though I didn't go ahead with that purchase I probably would have used them in the future but now I will likely avoid them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nearly bought a Leaf yesterday but unfortunately something came up which has dramatically changed my vehicle needs going forward before I'd committed to purchasing it and it would be the wrong vehicle. Glad I didn't go through with it as the salesman got quite narky with me despite being all no obligation kind of talk initially. I can understand the frustration it wasn't ideal but not very professional - wasn't like I'd left them in the lurch and made an effort to inform them as soon as possible - many people would have just left them hanging.

Funny how so many dealers are all smiles up front but once they've got your money (or not in this case) you see another side of them.

EDIT: Funny thing is though I didn't go ahead with that purchase I probably would have used them in the future but now I will likely avoid them.
Probably did you a favour, lots of better options over a leaf out there :)

Man of Honour
Probably did you a favour, lots of better options over a leaf out there :)

Being a little vague it suited my needs for what I thought was going to be the situation it would have been ideal for, was a fair price and had the features, etc. range maybe not as good as some of the competition but wasn't a huge issue but then circumstances outside of my control changed the situation I was in.

I quite like the Nissan Tekna trim level and design approach suits me so I tend to lean towards it over some of the competition.

Soldato
Being a little vague it suited my needs for what I thought was going to be the situation it would have been ideal for, was a fair price and had the features, etc. range maybe not as good as some of the competition but wasn't a huge issue but then circumstances outside of my control changed the situation I was in.

I quite like the Nissan Tekna trim level and design approach suits me so I tend to lean towards it over some of the competition.
That's fair enough, only you know what you need really.

Man of Honour
That's fair enough, only you know what you need really.

I still might have regretted it later - but I like a fairly minimalist, but designed that way instead of just being basic, interior - far too many vehicles the higher trim levels are a case of mashing in all the blingy things.

Soldato
Congrats,

I am leasing so costs were better than doing PCP, I am getting Ultimate 73kwh batter with tech pack, did not feel the eco pack was worth the extra in the UK but I could be wrong but not going to pay an extra £20-£30 for something no one has any idea if will be worth it in the UK.

I test drove an prem spec one which thought was fun, umm and arred on the tech pack but thought sod it if I am leasing for 4 years going to have all the toys :) Has my house fuse upgraded yesterday now just need to wait for an order date and can then get my car charger booked in.

When looking at the car, I ignored most people saying about range, cant go far enough etc and had a look on Zap Map app, put in routes me and the wife often drive and I think maybe 1 or 2 of them I would need to change at some point on the way back, so for me its not an issue.

Just need an order date and for it to hurry up lol

Soldato
Hi all,

sharing a bit more public charging here again… Tried a couple of different locations today as we took the dogs to Cornwall so wanted some locations with a bit of space. Portishead Marina, nice walk around and not too far off the M5
XDuRxaC.jpg
Cool location with the canopy, got more in the boot as there is loads more room when I took the foam tray out and also gives access to the bucket where a normal car would have an exhaust and the air suspension compressor is located, I however have normal coil springs.
wvXUUTb.jpg

Then for the next section I let the car do the navigate and auto route with charging, it took me to a 2 Device charger so I trusted it but expecting only one. Suprised on arrival it was a newish e-SWARCO twin install at Jamaica Inn. Great location with the pub and field area and started fast. Lasted Software over the air seems to have solved the stopping charge when I open the door and the LED flashes for 65 secs not 10 now on the chargepoint which sounds silly but it dar more useful when you want the reassurance it’s started. OWMpIx4.jpg
SnrGQX3.jpg

I’m also trying Zap Map premium through CarPlay on the week trial. Pretty good, not perfect though so I’ll doubt I’ll continue with it.

Soldato
I thought that charging station in Portishead was really modern looking and well laid out too. I somehow missed it though and ended up charging at the InstaVolt station round the back of the wetherspoons a few hundred metres away.

We're heading up to a Campsite near Appleby next week and it seems relatively sparse from a rapid charge perspective but I'm sure it will be fine.

Soldato
Routing is based on pre set journeys where you have decided to charge based on its recommendation rather than doing it live. Apple maps does that better or even my car as the car knows SoC and it knows I want to recharge at 20%. The data you can get from devices you are near is okay and see comments but it’s too late really then to react to changing your plan. Felt too many layers in the UI.

Back
Top Bottom