When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yup, that’s because the cable on the supercharger is designed to be only just long enough to fit in to a Tesla charging port, and that’s when you’ve reversed back to the reversing bumper.

So any car (example e-Tron) where the charging port is on a different side or further away than the longest Tesla then you end up with ^
No that's just an idiot being selfish.

Soldato
Hopefully this picture explains the issue better.
Even if the Audi parks front way into the bay, the next charger along can't be used by a Tesla because the charge port location on Tesla's is on the other side and the cable won't reach across.

51652681468_d4d87d41e8_b.jpg

Soldato

Its not. Most EVs have the charge port on the ‘wrong’ side for a Tesla charger with its short cables. It doesn’t matter how they park, they’ll block at least 2 stalls.

Where the unit is at the back of the space (rather than the side) the cable isn’t long enough to reach the charge port location on the front wing even if it went in forwards because of its ICE bonnet so it has to park like a **** to use it.

For this to work Tesla basically have to swap all the customer facing units with something that has a longer cable.

Going forward, if this is going to be a thing, they need a redesigned cable holder (that’s really all it is on a Tesla unit) and they’d be better off putting the plugs in every other bay.

Soldato
Or just not offer other EVs use. Winner.

Or Tesla just not go asking the EU/UK grant money from public taxes to install proprietary charging stations.

Governments all over Europe have been incentivising the public to purcahse more EVs. Part of that includes offering charging companies grants to install PUBLIC charging stations so the public will see that EVs are viable. Tesla thought "this is free money" because we already have a large network of charging stations and making them open to all EVs = instant grants.

It really does come down to profit and it was worth more for Tesla to get access to these grants by opening up their already existing charging stations. Elon thinks, wait you mean we can get 10s or even 100s of millions in grants and all we need to do is allow Joe public in their non Tesla EVs to use our already existing charging network?

Wow free money, were do we sign up. Winner

Soldato
Or, OR, and stick with me here... sell people a glorified Tesla charger "extension cable" which is 2ft long but comes at a £300 premium. I call it the Apple approach
Nice idea - it’ll be the best charging cable Tesla has ever made and they can’t wait to see how customers use it.

Soldato
Is the (water sheath ?) cable overspecced for higher currents, anyway, or are there newer techs, so .. like fuel pump hoses - just replace it, prematurely with a longer one.

edit: ok so thats the problem
The V3 SC's don't use liquid cooled cables AFAIK but that's the kernel of the problem

Last edited:
Associate
That etron picture is comedy. Its clearly a non CCS station as the Etron DC input is on the RH side not LH.

The illustration is fair though, same issue for IPACE and Taycan.

It's hard to say it definitely has CCS or not but seeing as the one closest to camera on the right side of the photo is a dual cable unit (one tesla connector and one CCS) it would seem strange for them to upgrade that stall but not do all the others.

Soldato
Wouldn't it make sense to standardise the charging port on all makes going forward if this is going to be a thing?

I know I'm going to end up in a BEV eventually (if head doesn't overrule heart and I get the Jag XKR 5.0...) but I did 400 miles on a trip from Scotland last week with one 15 minute stop for fuel/ coffee / toilet break (not an unusual trip for me) and the idea of faffing about at a charging station is really starting to put me off. Luckily I'm a couple of years away from making the decision.

Soldato
Wouldn't it make sense to standardise the charging port on all makes going forward if this is going to be a thing?

I know I'm going to end up in a BEV eventually (if head doesn't overrule heart and I get the Jag XKR 5.0...) but I did 400 miles on a trip from Scotland last week with one 15 minute stop for fuel/ coffee / toilet break (not an unusual trip for me) and the idea of faffing about at a charging station is really starting to put me off. Luckily I'm a couple of years away from making the decision.

Which you can still do in Tesla M3 LR now.

Soldato
Or, OR, and stick with me here... sell people a glorified Tesla charger "extension cable" which is 2ft long but comes at a £300 premium. I call it the Apple approach
It's water cooled....you're not going to be extending it. Extensions go against the standards anyway so it's not going to happen.

What I think will happen is once the trial is completed and they see all of the issues they face, they'll end up refitting a lot of cables with longer versions. It's the only way to make it happen sensibly.

Soldato
The Link & Co 01 (Chinese SUV) tested higher than the Audi Q4 e-tron in the EuroNCAP 2021 test. The NIO ES8 is up in top 10 too.
The Polestar 2 is 2nd and that’s built in China, also from a Chinese owned company.
Exactly. I think peoples perception of "Chinese" cars will rapidly shift when people start seeing the products out in the wild.

There will always be some people that will "never buy cheap Chinese rubbish" but these are the same people that still tell the joke 'What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof...".

That Ora Cat looked quite interesting but I can't understand why they didn't give it a half decent boot? Maybe the target demographic they are looking at don't care about boot space and they wanted to keep the short rear from an aesthetic perspective?

Back
Top Bottom