When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Makes me wonder why companies like Toyota are spending so much on R&D when much more efficient EV technology exists and with further advances in battery and charging tech may be a better place to invest their research.
there's probably still a huge market for combustion cars even in 20 years time.

what happens to all the classic cars and super cars anyway? people can just keep using them forever?

I'm guessing only cars built after XXX date get banned, people can keep running a ferrari for the next 600 years even if the thing is rebuilt with totally new parts every 20 years

Soldato
How many Ferraris do you think are out there, let alone owners with pockets deep enough to keep them running?

Anything desirable will end up as museum pieces, crashed or in a private collectors hands never to see the outside again. Everything else will be scrapped, crashed or just left to decay. No one’s going to spend the money needed to keep something like an old 360 on the road for the rest of time unless it’s some rare one off model.

Soldato
I noticed it has gone unmentioned, but gov.uk have finally made it the law to put EV charge points in all new home builds, offices (1 per 5 spaces) and supermarkets. It seems they've also included major renovation work, so I'm guessing that means total rebuilds or where the house is declared uninhabited for a certain number of months to the local council for tax etc.

Shame it has taken this long, now they need to enforce solar being installed too.

Edit: Sorry I should link to the gov.uk document showing the layout and requirements - HERE! it stipulates that they will need to be 7KW (untethered) and will also need to comply with the smart charging regulations that were recently published.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw my first polestar 2 rear light bar at dusk, country road, nice, distinctinctive.

conversely on return from exercise run, nearly run over by an Ipace .. aren't they legally meant to make a noise at low speed ?
it had pulled away behind me and with tyre noise expected it to be twice as far away.

Soldato
Saw my first polestar 2 rear light bar at dusk, country road, nice, distinctinctive.

conversely on return from exercise run, nearly run over by an Ipace .. aren't they legally meant to make a noise at low speed ?
it had pulled away behind me and with tyre noise expected it to be twice as far away.

Only after a certain date, I doubt that applied to early models.

Soldato
So you stepped into or crossed the road without looking?

I'd been waiting to run diagonally to other side of road, may have glanced slightly, nothing moving, but mainly reliant on hearing,
he must have moved off as I started crossing and maybe put foot down - fluo top so car&driver would have quickly realised what was happening -
but - it's not cricket.

Soldato

Only after a certain date, I doubt that applied to early models.
Think it was cars after 1 July 2019 must emit sound up to 12mph. The Tesla sound is really loud and sounds like a UFO passing.
My Polestar can barely be hard forwards but beeps when reversing .

Soldato
At 30mph the tyre roar doesn't make the noise much different between an ICE and ev, but at that lower speed, I'd say pedestrians need a noise warning too,
it's like arriving(running) at a blind side junction, I usually, know from noise if a car is approaching.
there's only one Ipace in the village so I'll clock the reg and see if its pre 2019.

Once at NSL 60mph speeds ev also just as distinctive as an ICE, as a runner you build up a mental map of what cars are upcoming behind you,
albeit I'm mostly running on a cycle track though, or into oncoming traffic. (no I don't run or cycle with ear buds)

Soldato
Its pronominally for disabled people and phone zombies, that said I have no idea how they deal with cyclists. That said getting hit by a car is an order of magnitude more dangerous than a cyclist.

Soldato
Its pronominally for disabled people and phone zombies, that said I have no idea how they deal with cyclists. That said getting hit by a car is an order of magnitude more dangerous than a cyclist.

And hitting a pedestrian as a cyclist is an order of magnitude more dangerous than a car.

I'm far more worried about pedestrians when cycling - they frequently change direction, speed up, step out into the road and cut you up in a cycle lane etc with no warning - and making cars make a fake noise only perpetuates the idea that they should be able to do that 'safely'.

Caporegime
I have the low speed noise and peds in small country lanes still don't hear me behind them and carry on walking in the middle of the road regardless. *shrug*

Even in my SUV because its so quiet and refined and the engine is barely ticking over at low speeds,, pedestrians quite often on country lanes dont hear you.

So its not just an issue with electric cars.

The noise needs to be louder tbh

Back
Top Bottom