When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Try and get her to watch some video reviews of the Polestar to try and show her it's a very good car and not duff.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, she's one of those people that put a high value on brand perception and what others will think of the car, so the Polestar didn't get a look in, same for the Skoda Enyaq.

But anyway, after looking at the cars she had her heart set on the Q4, I've managed to find an S-Line model on her company list within her allowance and got the options she wanted (leather, panoramic roof and a few others) so we've ordered it. I've no idea how long it will take, but apparently she can get hold of a hire car in the meantime, so hopefully another EV to try. I'll laugh my head off if it's a Polestar or Skoda and she loves it. :D

Soldato
Haha did you tell her Polestar is a sports car brand or a Volvo? :p

I would say 99% of our household mileage will be fully electric since I picked up the Model 3 on Monday.

Mrs Sk8 still has her MX-5 but I am slowly talking her round to selling it as it doesn’t really get driven much anymore as she now commutes via train (we both do).

Soldato
Haha did you tell her Polestar is a sports car brand or a Volvo? :p
I did, but to no avail. Maybe that made it worse. :D

Anyway I do really like the Q4 E-Tron so I'm more than happy. I would have chosen it over the Polestar anyway if it was my choice, but not because Polestar is a 'duff brand' :cry:, more that I'm not keen on the looks of the car.

Soldato
But anyway, after looking at the cars she had her heart set on the Q4
did she/you drive either ? - from earlier comments polestar test-drive capability seems limited, also,
I hadn't seen any comments that polestar are on big NHS type company schemes, big fleets maybe more wary of availibility/maintenance/residuals.

Soldato
When I looked at salary sacrifice for NHS the Audi EVs were considerably cheaper than Fords Mach_E, Kia EV6 and Polestar 2s. The only ones cheaper were the Ioniq5 but it is utterly hideous and vomit inducing to look at IMHO.

I think the thing with leasing is the expected residuals. After 3 years of leasing a Kia, Ford or Hyundai, they will be worth a fair bit less than an Audi on the used market. When I first went electric I chose an E-Tron 50 despite it's lack of range compared to an E-Niro or Kona EV, because the Tron 50 was less to lease per month. I don't give a crap if it has 100 miles more range, I would rather spend 30 minutes charging up 3 times in 18 months than compromise luxury and comfort the other 99.999% of times I drive.

I chose an Q4 50 Sportback as the replacement lease because the leasing price is a fair bit cheaper than the Mach-E and the Kia EV6. Almost £50 per month less in both cases. Even if perceived* quality is much the same the fact the Audi was cheaper is far too hard to ignore.

* the Mach-E had a very flimsy door card that bent when you put minor pressure on it. The EV6 floating centre console had about an inch of give in it if you checked for robustness. The Audi Q4 had a bit too much use of hard plastics but was more solid than the EV6 and Mach-E.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love the look of the q4 50 but just wish there had been a bigger battery and slightly higher performance version.

The fact in winter you are only going to get 150 mile range puts me off. visiting family would mean I would have to charge on route and couldnt do it in one trip.

Soldato
The fact in winter you are only going to get 150 mile range puts me off. visiting family would mean I would have to charge on route and couldnt do it in one trip.
Pre-heating the car and battery before you set off on long journey's helps increase range when it's cold.

Soldato
Fairly sure you’d get more than 150 miles range from the Q4 etron 50 AWD in winter.

EV database lists it as 170 miles at motorway speeds at -10c with the heating on.

January is the coldest month in the U.K. and the average low is 0 and the average high is 7. -10C would be an exceptionally hash temperature to sustain for more than a day in the U.K.

Soldato
I love the look of the q4 50 but just wish there had been a bigger battery and slightly higher performance version.

Not sure where you are getting only 150 miles of range. Recent range tests this month show the ID.4 and Q4 with the 77kW battert getting 200 - 220 miles of motorway range. Or are you referring to the Q4 35 lower capacity battery version?

Soldato
Or the ‘Audi etron’ with the smaller battery - that would sound about right.

PS who ever came up with their naming scheme for their EV line should be fired.

Caporegime
Not sure where you are getting only 150 miles of range. Recent range tests this month show the ID.4 and Q4 with the 77kW battert getting 200 - 220 miles of motorway range. Or are you referring to the Q4 35 lower capacity battery version?

No I am referring to the electric vehicle database which states 170 miles in cold weather, But that will be ideal with no radio, aircon, heaters, wipers, headlights etc. So on a dark wet winter day i expect real world range to be only 150.

Real Range Estimation between 170 - 345 mi
City - Cold Weather * 235 mi
Highway - Cold Weather * 170 mi
Combined - Cold Weather * 205 mi
City - Mild Weather * 345 mi
Highway - Mild Weather * 215 mi
Combined - Mild Weather * 270 m

Soldato
EV database is far from ideas circumstances, hence its figures are far lower than you will see anyone else quoting.

Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.

Lights, nav and radio have a negligible impact on range. Wet roads have the biggest impact over anything else.

I’m sure you could run an Q4 50 out in 150 miles of you tried but not when driven normally.

Last edited:
Soldato
EV database is far from ideas circumstances, hence its figures are far lower than you will see anyone else quoting.

Yeah they are almost pessimistic in some cases/scenarios.

So on a dark wet winter day i expect real world range to be only 150.

Assuming that is flat out on the motorway, and nothing below 65mph then, no regen, nothing, just 150 miles of motorway driving. Yes?

Caporegime
Yeah they are almost pessimistic in some cases/scenarios.

Assuming that is flat out on the motorway, and nothing below 65mph then, no regen, nothing, just 150 miles of motorway driving. Yes?

No idea but if its 170 its still a bit lower than I would be comfortable with. Ideally I want my EV to have a minimum 200 miles range even in the cold and wet.

Which is why the Q4 is out for me but will suit some other people.

Soldato
Wet roads have the biggest impact over anything else.

damp roads probably decrease rolling resistance, no ?; innundated would go South..
Q4 50 has that nice linear re-charge rate though, versus allcomers (who knows if they are compromising battery life for long term owners).

- after seing the tesla app battery data from russinating nice if you can get those telematics from other ev's too.

Soldato
The reason wet roads reduces range is because the car uses energy to push the water away from the contact patch of the tyre and the road.

‘Mildly moist’ doesn’t have a material impact but wet roads will and standing water even more so.

Soldato
I learned a while back to stop using EVDB for anything regarding real life expectations. Current feedback on recent range test for ID.4 and Q4 cars is they are getitng 3.0 - 3.3 mi/Kwh which is not bad for Dec. Even the Q4 35 with 52kW net battery is getting 170 miles under normal mixed driving and that is with mid Dec winter weather.

In the worst of it when we get to Jan then 2.5 - 2.8 on a Q4 40 (or 50) would equate to 190 - 220 miles. So you would need to be doing constant 90mph on a motorway to get as low as 150 miles of range out of a Q4 40.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom