When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Excuse my ignorance here but how is it any different to people with solar feeding back in to the grid?

Volume I'd imagine, although there will be a huge amount more solar installs over the ICE-BEV transition period as well.

If you have an install over a certain generating capacity it needs to be signed off by the DNO, when feeding back into the grid.

Soldato
Excuse my ignorance here but how is it any different to people with solar feeding back in to the grid?
Its small numbers, if every house had solar panels on the system then there would be a massive issue.

In small numbers in a dense power feed grid, it ain't a issue its when you are quite a way from a power source/power corrector that the systems can be a issue.

If you want solar to back feed into the grid you need to contact the DNO and they have to undertake calculations to prove that there will be no issue to the grid. In some case where you have a large array being put in ( a farm had 7 buildings covered in solar around 40kwh of generation) the home owner was forced to have to pay for three phase supply to be installed to his location so the load could be balanced.

Soldato
‘power peaks and loads are expected to change from during the day to overnight. With the majority being Vehicle charging and heating, making up the majority load.‘

Or are you referring to Phase issues ?

Load = base load - made up normally of renewables and nuclear
Peaks = bringing on spinning un/loaded stations. normally GCGT, assets that's can be brought on and off

So you'd get a peak over base load as all the vehicles are plugged in and the charger goes into boast to over come the internal resistance and get the power into the batteries, then you will get a standard load as the charger/bms trickle charges and conditions the battery.

Along with when people get home in the winter and turn on their electric heating to get the house up to temperature, then the system will reducing energy draw once the temperature only needs to be maintained.

Soldato
‘power peaks and loads are expected to change from during the day to overnight. With the majority being Vehicle charging and heating, making up the majority load.‘

Or are you referring to Phase issues ?

Yes in that battery storage exporting to the grid is no different to Solar.

The wider point is that is being glossed over is that battery exporting (from a car or otherwise) is not the ‘end game’. It’s flattening out demand.

It doesn’t actually require you to export at all to be useful. It’s just more effective if you can because you could prop up someone else’s supply if they have a high demand and get paid for the pleasure.

In reality you really only want to be exporting from storage when you are being paid handsomely for it and you can buy it back later significantly cheaper. It’s a completely different conundrum to solar which has to export if there is no internal demand or storage. You dump it on the grid for whatever they’ll give you for it where anything is better than nothing and turning them off.

If you get 20p for the export but it costs you 20p to buy it back , you just wouldn’t.

Soldato
.. even today if you have 5p octopus overnight units and could use those from your ev, just for just you evening oven/hob needs, you(well I) could save a lot.

Soldato
Loving my Kona so far. Did a few miles in it yesterday, had a quick 20 minute stop at an MFG 150kW charger just to try it, and currently running a granny charger on reduced amperage so I don't ruin the electrics at the in-laws :D getting 4.6mi/kWh so far which seems good, but not really representative yet.

Soldato
We moved on to our second EV yesterday, having sold the Mokka-E earlier in the week for more than we paid, I managed to find a Mini Electric L2 in stock and picked it up from Bournemouth. We've had a shuffle of cars and my wife no longer needs a bigger car as I now have a 420i gran Coupe so I decided I'd try to get her back in a mini as she loved her JCW. This one had the right spec, was available and in a nice colour combo so we did the deal. Drive back was just under 150 miles and I stopped once to charge at a BP Pulse point just outside Oxford. Was stopped for 22 minutes and got 17KW added so did the 145 mile drive from Bournemouth to Northampton in under 3 hours including a the charge stop. Mini is put together very well, drive really nicely and is pretty quick. Its much more comfortable than the Mokka and I got 3.9m/KW on the drive back which is pretty impressive as the most we ever saw from the Mokka was 3.5. All in all I have a very happy wife.

Soldato
Mini-E can be very efficient car, interesting on the comfort vs. the Mokka, is just the interior comfort or the suspension etc.?

The seats are much better but generally the suspension/damping are much nicer in the mini. It handles significantly better, but then its smaller and lower, but the harshness is gone entirely in comparison

Soldato
What do people think of the iX?

It looks like an absolutely beautiful place to sit on the inside and drive but, and yes its a big but. I have no words that can describe how ugly this car is.

I don't know how you could ever get out of it with a straight face, perhaps with smugness is the way to go given you'd have to be a baller to spend that much money on something so ugly and not give two cares about it :p.

To quote Jack "the interior is not for everyone, the exterior is for no one".

Soldato
Mini-E can be very efficient car, interesting on the comfort vs. the Mokka, is just the interior comfort or the suspension etc.?
efficiencies down to its weight ? and smaller battery as opposed to Cd (mini design always having a reputation for bad cd)
I can see seats/interior/infotainment from bmw would be better,
suspension well last weeks fith gear (todays just starting) wasn't to complimentary versus mokka/e-208, even if mini has the nice torque vectoring/arb from rwd i3.

fifth gear just visited solar powered electric forecourt at toddington ... they have a load of local batteries to supplement the grid - didn't know that, charged offpeak from octopus ? and the solar canopy. - someone posted pics a while back.

Soldato
Mini is a smaller car with a smaller battery and more experience from the i3 powertrain… efficiency shouldn’t be a suprise. Cd lower no idea without looking but it has a smaller frontal area! Torque vectoring is just brake. Retard to slow a wheel rather than positive torque to a wheel to induce yaw.

Gridserve have a huge solar farm in York aswell to supplement l. Look at the free wire chargers that allow faster chargers to be install at the same sites with no change to cables thanks to the built in battery to supplement the grid feed and charge back up during the time no cars are present.

not sure if your post was questions or statements (as usual) but there’s some info to absorb.

Soldato
What do people think of the iX?

It looks like an absolutely beautiful place to sit on the inside and drive but, and yes its a big but. I have no words that can describe how ugly this car is.

I don't know how you could ever get out of it with a straight face, perhaps with smugness is the way to go given you'd have to be a baller to spend that much money on something so ugly and not give two cares about it :p.

To quote Jack "the interior is not for everyone, the exterior is for no one".
I really like iX, even the exterior.
It’s a new style of design, so of course it’s going to be polarising.

The drive by drone shots in that video make it look very imposing on the road

Soldato
a picture ? could be overcast until xmas though

IMG-9361.jpg

IMG-9362.jpg

IMG-9365.jpg

Had a few minutes on the morning of delivery with a bit of sunshine!

Soldato
looks classy - lighter than I imagined, and I see google suggest, for dark knight, but I'm not up on diversity.

---
mini/i3s torque vectoring is rapidly modulating torque to motor
german bmw site had a better explanation of this ARB system introduced on i3s and on 128ti - why do they re-use acronyms
a faster, preemptive, DSC - makes much more sense - english sites have a load of waffle.
The developer's secret weapon has the working title ARB and is intended to help make the BMW 1 Series F40 the benchmark in its class. ARB stands for Actorn-related wheel slip limitation and describes in the finest developer Denglish a system that can basically be imagined as a particularly fast-working DSC. The trick is to relocate the slip regulator from the conventional DSC control unit to the engine management system, which is why many problems can be combated before they arise. The control systems constantly analyze how high the coefficient of friction of the ground is and therefore know very precisely which forces can be transmitted at the moment.

In this way, it can be defined in advance how much torque the motor may provide in the current situation. The information on the maximum wheel slip results in a maximum engine speed which, if exceeded, would inevitably lead to the wheels spinning. While conventional ESP systems only act in such a situation when the wheel has already spun and lost its grip, ARB prevents the wheel speed from being too high by limiting the engine speed in advance. The advantage: Because the situation is still completely under control at the moment of the intervention, much smaller interventions are sufficient for the desired stabilization - braking interventions perceived as patronizing are normally not necessary and the typical understeer due to a loss of traction on the front axle is not necessary

Back
Top Bottom