When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Not really. The preconditioning should be using very little though.
I just find it strange how there's other owners who suggest it's easy enough to get about 4 miles/kwh, and I (along with others) struggle to get more than 3.

I’m currently averaging 4.3 miles kWh in my 2020 Mini SE. It’s always given me great efficiency, in summer the best I’ve had is 6.6 miles kWh on my work commute.

Soldato
Is that in this current low temps? I’m lucky to be getting 2 in my eqc
Yeah, the efficiency in the Ioniq doesn't seem to change too much in winter. I usually pre heat and I tend to stick the climate control to Auto and use the heated seats. Still hitting 4+ if I drive reservedly, low 3s otherwise.

Note that this is not a fast car by EV standards though :D

Associate
I’m currently averaging 4.3 miles kWh in my 2020 Mini SE. It’s always given me great efficiency, in summer the best I’ve had is 6.6 miles kWh on my work commute.
My commute is 22 miles there are back and yesterday it used 28% of the battery (with precondition x2). My maths says this is about 8kWh, which is 2.75 miles/kWh. I'm sure hills area a killer, even with regen.

Associate
My commute is 22 miles there are back and yesterday it used 28% of the battery (with precondition x2). My maths says this is about 8kWh, which is 2.75 miles/kWh. I'm sure hills area a killer, even with regen.

Do you have it plugged in to precondition and a departure time set ? It works the same as the BMW i3 and you must set the departure time at least 3 hours in advance or it won’t do battery conditioning.

Soldato
I’m bored of range tests.
Give me a car with 250 miles and 150 kW+ DC changing speed over anything with 300+ miles with slow charging.

Soldato
I don’t think there isn’t anything in the market with a true 300 miles range and slow charging?

Charging speed is pretty much determined by the size of the battery. The, generally speaking, the bigger the battery, the faster it can go. That’s not the only deciding factor though as the cars consumption needs to be factored in. The lower the consumption, the further each KW goes and the less raw kilowatts need shoving into the battery to travel the same distance as a car with higher consumption.

That said, the vast majority of rapid chargers are up to 50kw, so the cars are not exactly the limiting factor either.

Soldato
Currently 3.7 mi/kwh in 2019 Model 3 with pre-charging of which 50% of the 20 mile journey is 70mph. Dips a bit more with a cold battery but still manages 3.5 mi/kw in the current ambient temps.

I believe the efficiency has improved since new with some of the software updates. I'll do a 100% charge soon to see if it still reads 232 miles at full charge. That's never changed despite the software updates and no where near what's claimed on new cars with LFP batteries + heat pump for example.

Soldato
The range counter in the model 3 is the EPA range/battery % less any degradation and doesn’t change with temp or driving style.

If I charged mine up to 100%, it would say 278 miles even though it’s WLTP rated to 306/317 (depending on what wheels you put on it). I doubt I’ll ever get 278 out of it unless I drive like an OAP.

Jeez, do you do any pre-conditioning? Is this all motorway driving?

I'm yet to see below even 3mi/kWh in my Kona, except at the start of a drive while the heater is stealing a lot of charge, but it soon evens out.

There is a reason why the etron has a massive battery, it’s quite thirsty!

Soldato
The range counter in the model 3 is the EPA range/battery % less any degradation and doesn’t change with temp or driving style.

If I charged mine up to 100%, it would say 278 miles even though it’s WLTP rated to 306/317 (depending on what wheels you put on it). I doubt I’ll ever get 278 out of it unless I drive like an OAP.

There is a reason why the etron has a massive battery, it’s quite thirsty!

It does change with driving style. On all three of my teslas it has gone up and down based upon my driving style over a period of time (mostly down).

Soldato
So, it's been a great year for EV's, with more choice and some decent models coming next year. The UK has just got to sort public charging out !!

Also, ..................... :)

51772841553_c64c401346_b.jpg

Associate
Took the motorway route from work today, minimal traffic and it was good to give the engine a clear out - blow the cobwebs off.
Not to mention give the dpf a burn to clear the ash.

Oh the roar of a MG5 EV is not to be missed, but most people do.

Lots of vehicles spewing out black stuff from their exhausts ( what are these again?)
Restricted to 50 going past junction 7 (M6) due to a sign about reducing air pollution:eek:

Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom