When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
look at the COP presentation on california ev strategy - their issue is that despite lower ev carbon footprint, just the increase in car ownership will make overall carbon footprint greater ... which you can only really deal with via punitive taxation ?, so longer term ev ownership (versus current ice) really needs to consider that - ownership cost will end up the same ! still looks like the new LFP battery technology will help reduce ev carbon footprint.

The behaviour of the gearbox may suggest that it has a CVT but the Toyota box isn't one.
yes, as you say - I subsequently had a look at a couple of videos
Understanding the Honda Hybrid E-Drive

3rd Generation Toyota Hybrid (eCVT) Transaxles
interesting that honda is practically a range extender which uses the petrol just to drive a generator, up until high speeds where the single geared engine is connected via a clutch to contribute to power at wheels, versus toyota where petrol can drive the wheels at much lower speeds, with its 'fancy' planetary gears that enable the two drives to be combined.

R4 was just reminding folks that charger contribution goes at end of march,
not sure how manufacturer prices and 2nd hand values have been impacted by hybrid contribution removal.

Soldato
How much do you guys pay in servicing? Do you go main dealer or indy (not sure if indys even handle EVs)? Do they differentiate major/minor/interim devices for EVs? Please state your car make and model too.

Soldato
How much do you guys pay in servicing? Do you go main dealer or indy (not sure if indys even handle EVs)? Do they differentiate major/minor/interim devices for EVs? Please state your car make and model too.

£65 Hyundai Ioniq, main dealer... they kick the tires, changes the required filters, check the brake fluid/pads and clean it.

Soldato
£65 Hyundai Ioniq, main dealer... they kick the tires, changes the required filters, check the brake fluid/pads and clean it.

That’s very reasonable! I asked Vauxhall on Twitter about Corsa E servicing costs and they wouldn’t tell me! “Contact your local dealer” my eye. That set my BS radar off but maybe Vauxhall do rip people off on EVs.

Soldato

Tesla https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/car-maintenance

So no servicing required for maintaining warranty. They sell cabin filters direct to customer and provide a guide to fit.
Brake fluid should be looked at and changed if required.
They recommend wheel rotation, but it's really a US thing and of little consequence if you have AWD.

Service work can be booked via the app, if your keen on Tesla doing anything.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I just paid the equivalent of over £200 for a service on my i3.
  • £95 for filter change
  • £6 for windscreen washer fluid
  • £60 for brake fluid
  • £50 for a vehicle check
And then they fleeced me for another £50 on a 418i loaner for the day. I did a whole 5 miles..

Soldato
  • £95 for filter change
  • £60 for brake fluid
And then they fleeced me for another £50 on a 418i loaner for the day. I did a whole 5 miles..

Wow, that sounds like a real con, especially the filter and fluid changes. Hopefully there will be alternatives in the future.

Soldato
Wow, that sounds like a real con, especially the filter and fluid changes. Hopefully there will be alternatives in the future.

How is it anything other than a positive? You can get Tesla to action the items if you wish, an independent, or yourself. You get to keep your warranty even if you don't action them.

Brake fluid is every other year (the recommend check over default replace)
Cabin filter is 2 years.
Air Con is 6 years for Model 3

Brake pads last for years due to regen braking.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Brake Fluid is a 2yr item on any BMW car
That's the only thing it needed doing anyway, other than the filter. The carbon filter alone was £65! I don't want to know how much they sell for online..

Honestly it's cost me absolutely nothing in repairs or failures in the 2 years I've had it so the equivalent of under a tenner a month isn't the end of the world, no matter how much BMW charge for "servicing".

Soldato
How is it anything other than a positive? You can get Tesla to action the items if you wish, an independent, or yourself. You get to keep your warranty even if you don't action them.

Brake fluid is every other year (the recommend check over default replace)
Cabin filter is 2 years.
Air Con is 6 years for Model 3

Brake pads last for years due to regen braking.

Eh? I quoted mjt about the BMW one. Agree the Tesla one is also great and Hyundai very reasonable.

How long did the service take @mjt?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Eh? I quoted mjt about the BMW one. Agree the Tesla one is also great and Hyundai very reasonable.

How long did the service take @mjt?
Couple of hours I think. They had it all day anyway as I couldn’t leave work during the day.

Clearly daylight robbery but main dealers of premium brands always are. And they can’t mark up engine oil on electric cars :p

Soldato
I found the Vauxhall costs for electric servicing. What a joke :D:D

B3-D68-F5-C-77-C6-4995-A325-C293-E7-F57-C83.jpg

050-BE4-AB-9-FBC-4-F89-B069-664241619-B50.jpg

Soldato
Cheap compared to a BMW, yes. You can get a Renault Clio serviced for £166, so not exactly a bargain.

3/4 year plans for the Zoe cost £299/£699 (no that is not a typo, what do they do in year 4 that needs a £400 service?)
3/4 year plans for their ICE range £499/£759

Soldato
  • £95 for filter change
  • £60 for brake fluid
They charge for a loaners these days? Blimey. I remember once being given a brand new 530 for the day as they ran out of their pool cars. Gave it back to them with 200 miles on it FOC
I used to moan a bit about BMW servicing costs but tbh I found Mazda just as bad. They wanted £280 for a first service on an MX-5 (oil change). Managed to haggle it down somewhat but considering their schedule is every 12 months or 12,000 miles I think (10 or 12k ), it seemed rather expensive.

My i3 is due for a service in July so will be interesting what local BMW dealer charge for a non-rex BEV. Only done a little over 3000 miles so far, trying to get that up a bit.

Soldato
I see Tesla delivered over 930k vehicles in 2021, and over 308k in Q4 alone, given the parts shortages and pandemic that is amazing performance IMO. Berlin and Texas due online in Q1, means Tesla could be delivering ~2m+ vehicles in 2022! Pretty insane if you consider it was only a decade ago 2012 that they announced/launched the Model S.

Soldato
I see Tesla delivered over 930k vehicles in 2021, and over 308k in Q4 alone, given the parts shortages and pandemic that is amazing performance IMO. Berlin and Texas due online in Q1, means Tesla could be delivering ~2m+ vehicles in 2022! Pretty insane if you consider it was only a decade ago 2012 that they announced/launched the Model S.

Excited to see if they unveil a Model 2 / small hatch this year and what the price point is.

Back
Top Bottom