When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Except that is impossible for me, as it only gets used in the house, or when we go camping. Coffee is my drink of choice when traveling, or water from my metal water bottle, which might kill me I guess?
We're not a nanny state, crack on :p

Just won;t catch me using one :D

Caporegime
Wow he still argues about a straw

Anyway back to EV this massive CO2 impact of making them is doing the opposite of reducing Co2 short term in the transport space.

Personally I think it’s focusing on the wrong thing. Surely driving less/ having other options is the real answer so you don’t even need a car in the first place?

Associate
They do but short of well kept classics (which will be worth £lol), these will be utter sheds and cost £lol to run. Can’t say I see many 20 year old cars on the roads these days, likewise back then 20 year old cars are relative dinosaurs compared to what’s on the market now. Keeping them on the road is going to be challenging as cars get ever more integrated.

I can’t imagine there will be filling stations every few miles either, they’ll be so few ICE cars around that they will just not be viable.

I just cant see post 2030 that most cars will be EV. Hell this country cant fill in bloody pots holes. What makes you think theres going to be charging stations everywhere?

Soldato
I just cant see post 2030 that most cars will be EV. Hell this country cant fill in bloody pots holes. What makes you think theres going to be charging stations everywhere?

We are talking about 2040-2045 and beyond, what makes you think driving an ICE will be viable then?

10-15 years post ICE ban the vast majority of the ICE cars will have been written off or scrapped by that point. Pretty much all manufacturers have declared the end of ICE before then. Most have ceased development of new ICE products already and are just riding out their current platforms with PHEVs going to the end in 2035, if they even bother.

They are already stripping out the pumps in Norway as fossil fuel sales are now dropping off, so yeh even having a petrol lawn mower is going to be a pain in the future.

Soldato
It's not so much after 2030 that most cars will be EV. But all NEW car sales will be EV. As you will not be able to buy a new ICE car after then. Vauxhall have even committed to only selling EVs by 2028.

Associate
But none of them counteract the sheer immersive enjoyment of driving my Mustang.
No other car I have ever owned puts such a grin on my face even as I just walk up to it, let alone the noise once it starts, the noise is everything, I could never own a car that makes no proper noise.

To be fair, as you can probably tell, as I drive a 5.0 lt Mustang as a daily driver, refinement is very low on my list of priorities when getting a car ;)
When i go to work at 6am, my neighbours enjoy the fact i don't have a 5litre volcano.

Caporegime
When i go to work at 6am, my neighbours enjoy the fact i don't have a 5litre volcano.

It has an active exhaust, so it is quiet when i leave for work at 5am.

Not one neighbour has complained, apart from the one guy who always moans his wife won't let him get a Mustang.

Associate
It has an active exhaust, so it is quiet when i leave for work at 5am.

Not one neighbour has complained, apart from the one guy who always moans his wife won't let him get a Mustang.
They don't need to complain for it to annoy them.
I see oil prices going up again. Enjoy that one.

Caporegime
They don't need to complain for it to annoy them.
I see oil prices going up again. Enjoy that one.

Most reasonable people wouldn't though. Just don't equate that with the idea that they don't mind.

Have spoken to all of them, we are in a close of only 4 houses, converted barns on a farmyard middle of nowhere, no one else within a mile.

They all love the car.

One as i say one moans that his wife won't let him get one, although with 3 kids I see her point, it would be a very impractical replacement for his Q7.

One other neighbour went and imported a 2020 GT500 once he had been out in mine.

So yeah neighbours definitely not an issue.

As for fuel, apart from track days and santa pod, it averages mid to high 20's mpg, and on a long journey will easily do mid high 30's.

But mpg and fuel prices have never been part of the consideration of getting any car I have owned, very low priorities.

Soldato
My neighbour spoke to me about the rusty **** heap of a minibus he parks out the front of his house every day. I didn't complain... still doesn't mean I don't think it A) is an eyesore, B) takes up parking space on an already congested road and C) gets on my wick he leaves it running for 15 minutes before he sets off at 6:30am and 10 minutes while he fills in his little mileage book when he gets home.

What people think and what people say are almost always two very different things because half the population of the UK is a barely functioning bi-polar psychopath who is a simple disagreement away from stabbing you through the eyeball with your own metal straw* ;)

On the subject of EVs though, there are only three vehicles I actually notice going past our house. We are in a cul-de-sac so you only really hear engine noise as they aren't going quick enough. The clapped out minibus, an Abarth 124 and an electric SUV (Kona I think) that visits a house at the end of the road. That stupid spaceship sound they have introduced is quite intrusive. I can see queues of traffic crawling at 15 mph in the future making a right old din as every manufacturer tries to implement their 'sound of the future'.

*I don't really think that... my straws are bamboo.

Last edited:
Soldato
That stupid spaceship sound they have introduced is quite intrusive. I can see queues of traffic crawling at 15 mph in the future making a right old din as every manufacturer tries to implement their 'sound of the future'.

This has got to be one of the most stupid rules going. Totally defies one of the benefits of EVs. I hope at some point when people come to their senses that it'll be retracted and the sound will be muted.

Back
Top Bottom