When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Gridserve have some very ambitious rollout plans, if utilisation is high then they will eventually add more chargers. 12 on a single site is a good start. Often they have 350kW charger hardware but the grid connection might limit it to 150kW anyway for now.

They are currently building one of there stations on the outskirts of Norwich. Been keeping an eye on its progress as I pass it regularly, looks very impressive and I hope to see more of them in the future. If we have more of them, it would make it easier for people like myself who don’t have the ability to charge at home to seriously consider moving over to EV.

Soldato
Got this for the daycare, supermarket, general city runs and I can't fault it. Replaces an MK6 GTI.

Spec is pretty average (had to put the larger screen in) but it does everything I need really. It's surprisingly fine on the motorway as well so will commute into work with it when we're back in the office.

-2016 94ah Rex
-20k miles
-about 15k your money

I got a gen3 tesla wallbox put in but there hasn't been a reason to use it yet, the supplied slow one is fine.

Soldato
I'll go electric once car prices are sensible.

A quick look on autotrader within a 50 mile radius of me puts the cheapest Elec car at £8,000 which is a 10 year old Citroen C-Zero...

I own my current car outright and use 10l of fuel/week so, unless fuel gets ridiculous, it's not financially possible to change to electric.

Soldato
Got this for the daycare, supermarket, general city runs and I can't fault it. Replaces an MK6 GTI.

Spec is pretty average (had to put the larger screen in) but it does everything I need really. It's surprisingly fine on the motorway as well so will commute into work with it when we're back in the office.

-2016 94ah Rex
-20k miles
-about 15k your money

I got a gen3 tesla wallbox put in but there hasn't been a reason to use it yet, the supplied slow one is fine.
Looks nice. Best i3 wheels too. Had one for over a year now. Was tempted to upgrade to an i3s Forever Unique edition to my spec as mine was bought slightly used so had to compromise on some requirements but decided wasn't really worth it, moving from a 2020 car, and also find the suspension just right in the standard car. Used prices are pretty crazy here hence partly why tempted - was quoted £27k for mine, more than I paid for it.
It's probably going to be a car I now keep until it dies. Will be a great runabout even if I get something else later

Last edited:
Soldato

-2016 94ah Rex
-20k miles
-about 15k your money

That's a real gem. All the benefits of EV, super low tax (or might even be 0), and no range anxiety. Absurdly expensive to buy over here though.

Soldato
yes nice i3 - low mileage but maybe in NZ that's typical ? or, maybe, indication of type of car
(at least in the UK I thought i3 long term ownership battery warranty, was still a controversial point)

----

this will be $$$ but a new estate in the offing, since its their new ppe platform whether that will mean better efficiency beyond aero of saloon shape - android automotive !
The Audi A6 EV is coming! Audi A6 e-tron Sportback vs Avant (EV estate)

Soldato
yes nice i3 - low mileage but maybe in NZ that's typical ? or, maybe, indication of type of car
(at least in the UK I thought i3 long term ownership battery warranty, was still a controversial point)

----

this will be $$$ but a new estate in the offing, since its their new ppe platform whether that will mean better efficiency beyond aero of saloon shape - android automotive !
The Audi A6 EV is coming! Audi A6 e-tron Sportback vs Avant (EV estate)

From what i read the i3 battery is/was one of the best out there. Warranty claims are rare for the battery. If the battery comes to a natural end the cars might have 300-500k miles on them I think. Can't remember where I read that but seemed to come from someone knowledgeable about battery tech.
Seems a solid used EV buy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
From what i read the i3 battery is/was one of the best out there. Warranty claims are rare for the battery. If the battery comes to a natural end the cars might have 300-500k miles on them I think. Can't remember where I read that but seemed to come from someone knowledgeable about battery tech.
Seems a solid used EV buy.
Pretty sure when I was looking into an i3S at the start of 2020 I did some reading that suggested the same. BMWs original estimates for battery life/health were massively pessimistic and that they are all seemingly doing very well.

The fact that they guarantee 70% health for 100,000 miles/8-years should tell you all you need to know.

Soldato
From what i read the i3 battery is/was one of the best out there.
was recollecting below article
Reading about obtaining a battery certificate from BMW for i3/i8, it does look unpalettable,
if BMW reset bms system, and, more capacity is released, but, that capacity is not useable.
but issue will become generally common in bevs, you need some kind of independent WLTP re-certification when you sell it, or, get a PCP

I had bought our i3 REX 60Ah in 2018 with exactly 100000km and the SoC was given as 14.1 in the menu. In the meantime there was almost 30,000 km on it and the range is significantly lower. Even then, I went straight to BMW due to the impending warranty expiry. They allegedly carried out extensive tests there, since the range for me shrank to the last 30%, i.e. it did not decrease linearly. Mathematically, that did not fit together. At that time I calculated (if I include consumption and SoC) on about 12.2kWh usable capacity. That would only be 65% of 18.8kWh. BMW reset the BMS. I then had an 18.1kWh SoC in the menu again. And also significantly more range display. But the problem remained. The last 30% were not really usable. From BMW I wanted the evaluations of this so-called. Have high voltage tests. These were not handed over to me, even after being requested to do so and, ultimately, a gentle threat from a lawyer.
Now I just keep going. At the moment, if I drive very economically (with 10-11kWh / 100km) I can even reach almost 100km before the REX (7%) kicks in. Mathematically, that would be a maximum of 11.8kWh usable capacity (11kWh: (100% -7%)).

Soldato
The battery is small, I think this one is 33Kwh with only 27Kwh usable hence the good long term health readings. It was actually between this and an Ioniq as both have fairly small batteries but can still churn out 200kms on a charge, this came up first so I grabbed it.

Most of them that land here are ex-Japan so they have substantial mileage, this one is a UK import but it was only there for 6 months, so probably got a good deal! There are certainly things I miss from the F30 though (HUD & 360 cam mainly) but for the price and class of car guess that's to be expected..

Soldato
This is purely hypothetical at the moment but I like to try and keep one step ahead of being lumped with big decisions regarding company cars off the cuff...

As a best guestimate how many miles could you shove into, lets say, an MG5 over the course of 12 hours on a standard 3-pin socket?

The new Gridserve at Norwich is 3 miles from home and on my route back from pretty much anywhere I'm likely to travel so would be an option if I need to get miles in the tank quicker but I'm just trying to see if it is viable to not fit a charger to my temporary digs.

Soldato
The new Gridserve at Norwich is 3 miles from home and on my route back from pretty much anywhere I'm likely to travel so would be an option if I need to get miles in the tank quicker but I'm just trying to see if it is viable to not fit a charger to my temporary digs.

You can always opt for something like an Ohme 32A commando socket version, which can be taken with you if/when you move. You'd obviously still need to have an IP65 rated commando socket fitted, but it will cost you less than fitting a the charger.

Soldato
2kW to the cells on a 10A 3 pin.

So around 6~8 miles an hour?

You can always opt for something like an Ohme 32A commando socket version, which can be taken with you if/when you move. You'd obviously still need to have an IP65 rated commando socket fitted, but it will cost you less than fitting a the charger.

Thanks to you both. My commute is just over 30 miles a day so I'd be gaining miles for the days I'm in the office. In the instances where I have back to back work trips I could rapid charge up to whatever percentage I need on my way home and then finish off over night.

The cost isn't as much of a factor as the fact that it isn't my place. That said it would only add value to whack a charger on the side of the garage so the suggestion may be met with more positive response than I predict.

Anyway, all hypotheticals at the moment.

Soldato
Looking to install a charger at home and we had hoped it could be ran from a CU in the garage but we've been told it has to come from the meter (~20m away from where we want to install the meter) and needs a data cable running too for the adaptive fuse.

The installers preferred option is to run 2 separate cables (6mm SWA 3 core & a cat5) but as they are being ran along the wall I wanted to see if I could go with a single cable option. I spotted you can get a cable that does both but are there any downsides to this as the installer said their preferred option is separate cables.

Back
Top Bottom