When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
They really just need a load (20/30/40+) of 7kW chargers in the car park - hotels and anywhere people park for a long time. As mentioned people will start choosing their hotel, days out, shopping locations based on good charging availability so it’s a no-brainier to bring in business.

It really is, I guess you need to address who runs these places, old farts in suits who spent too much time losing money over the pandemic, so probably don't want to be spending money on something useful like chargers. There's a premier Inn near me that has 2x Instavolts and a BP Pusle 50kW there, weird setup, could do with the 7-11kW.

Associate
If you include running costs, a new EV is cheaper than and equivalent fossil fuelled car (even as a private buyer / leaser)

A used EV can be cheaper than an equivalent used fossil fuelled car (if you can find one as demand is so high right now)

Also I think the example of Premier Inn - all sorts of people from all backgrounds and financial situations might use them.

Associate
It really is, I guess you need to address who runs these places, old farts in suits who spent too much time losing money over the pandemic, so probably don't want to be spending money on something useful like chargers. There's a premier Inn near me that has 2x Instavolts and a BP Pusle 50kW there, weird setup, could do with the 7-11kW.

Yep - rapid chargers at hotels don’t make sense as you’d have to move after 20-30mins. Loads of 7kW chargers means plug in and leave overnight which suits hotel use and other long stay places way better.

Even cheaper-to-install 3kW chargers would do in some long stay locations.

Soldato
The destination chargers at a Premier Inn (Instavolt equivalent) will be targeted to the restaurant (beefeater/Brewer's Fayre etc.) and most importantly passing traffic.

Chargepoint operators have algorithms to calculate best locations to target high average daily traffic flows passing by the site. A rapid at a site tend to be because it's near a busy road not because they are targeting hotel customers.

Associate
The destination chargers at a Premier Inn (Instavolt equivalent) will be targeted to the restaurant (beefeater/Brewer's Fayre etc.) and most importantly passing traffic.

Chargepoint operators have algorithms to calculate best locations to target high average daily traffic flows passing by the site. A rapid at a site tend to be because it's near a busy road not because they are targeting hotel customers.
That makes sense - expect it’ll be because the hotel own a decent size car park and it’s easy to get permission to build the chargers

Caporegime
They really just need a load (20/30/40+) of 7kW chargers in the car park - hotels and anywhere people park for a long time. As mentioned people will start choosing their hotel, days out, shopping locations based on good charging availability so it’s a no-brainier to bring in business.
Until it’s taxed like any other road energy

Hashtag Goldilocks

Wish people will realise how cheap fossil fuels are when no tax is applied. You are comparing a fuel taxed ti high heaven to one with virtually none. The high horse is a little tiring

Associate
Yep there will be road pricing I’m sure and it will apply to all vehicles. So you might be looking at:

ICE - 20p/ mile fuel 10p / mile tax
EV - 2p / mile fuel 10p / mile tax

Maybe peak/off peak pricing.

So the EV is still the same price or cheaper with zero tailpipe emissions.

Associate
The high horse is a little tiring

I see where you are coming from. Driving down a residential street in some areas of town with on-street parking and 10yr old cars, EVs must seem like rich people toys that are a world away. But in 10 years time when there are millions of used EVs for sale, public charging absolutely everywhere, it will be fossil fuelled cars that will be the rich people toys.

Caporegime
That can't be right surely, even the Premier Inn on Slough Trading estate has them?

Perhaps Premier Inn are slow at updating their website? That was from today's site although they do say they are opening more every day. But a total of 500 across 300 hotels in 3 years isnt an ambitious total and far short of what is needed.

Just seen that page was updated last on 26/1/2021 so presumable they now have lots more as they are almost half way through their 500 new charging points. Poor form on the website though.

Associate
Perhaps Premier Inn are slow at updating their website? That was form today's site although they do say they are opening mroe every day. But a total of 500 across 300 hotels in 3 years isnt an ambitious total and far short of what is needed.
Agree - people need to be confident there will be chargers available, which means having 10’s of them at each site (not 2!)

Caporegime
Yep there will be road pricing I’m sure and it will apply to all vehicles. So you might be looking at:

ICE - 20p/ mile fuel 10p / mile tax
EV - 2p / mile fuel 10p / mile tax

Maybe peak/off peak pricing.

So the EV is still the same price or cheaper with zero tailpipe emissions.

I suspect once you cant buy anything but an EV it will be 20p per mile for all cars. Thre is lots of talk it will be regional and time based. Eg peak time on a bury congested road like the M40 might be £1 per mile whereas 11am in a rural area of North Yorkshire might be 5p per mile.

Associate
A lot of cars don’t need one till 2 years old
Then how much is a service on a lot of these cars?

A work colleague had to have a first year service for his Nissan juke, originally quoted him £370.
This was reduced to £280 upon him saying he would get back to them.
A quick Google and ford, vauxhall and mercedes require 1st year service on their warranties.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then how much is a service on a lot of these cars?

A work colleague had to have a first year service for his Nissan juke, originally quoted him £370.
This was reduced to £280 upon him saying he would get back to them.
A quick Google and ford, vauxhall and mercedes require 1st year service on their warranties.
Tesla do not require any servicing for their warranty. They do recommend checking brake fluid every 2 years and changing cabin filter. A/C 6 years.

Soldato
But people who use a premier inn can’t afford a EV unless it’s their company car scheme giving them one.

Sorry, I couldn’t let this one go.

As someone who both owns their EV and uses premier inns, I can categorically say the comment is complete utter nonsense.

I completely agree that they 100% need to up their game when it comes to charging. No they shouldn’t be free and they don’t really need to offer the full 7kw all the time, the plugs just need sufficient load balanced capacity to charge an average EV during an average session. You’d expect most people to be plugged in for 10 hours plus and most will not be completely empty when plugging in.

Back
Top Bottom