When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I saw the late brake show vid for the Ionic 6, where the 5 looked fantastic
also announced - if vw id Aero can deliver what it's name promises, seems attractive , not sure(self-doubt again johnny) MEB platformed car can really deliver a saloon height though, or, it will need to be wedge shape to deliver aero gains.

Apple just announced more integrated car-play enhancements to compete with Android automotive

Apple CarPlay will Integrate with a Car's Hardware

for charger route planning , isn't the - phone only - a better root planner the dogs dongle , to optimise charging opportunity for soc, battery temperature... charger price.

Soldato
I think the Aero does look 'tall' for a saloon if you look at side profile and fuselage depth, and Jonny Smith in the Isotonic 6 looks like has headroom but poor posture and leg/thigh support in the back with the similar MEB sandwich stack under E-GMP.

I know Apple CarPlay API is moving to mutliple screen output rather than the single mainscreen as today - as per the video above.

Soldato
I saw the late brake show vid for the Ionic 6, where the 5 looked fantastic, the 6 looks like a bit of 'chinese' knock off of a lot of cars. Be interesting to see what it looks like in the flesh. I think i prefer it to a Tesla in the design stakes.

Thought the concept looked clean with nice flowing lines, the production model looks a jumbled mess

Associate
Just put an order in for a Polestar 2, was excited until the delivery date of Jan 2023!

Also, when getting a quote for the house charger, need up rated MNO fuse (60amp currently!) and my fusebox needs upgrading as its full so whacking on a few more £££ to the bill.

Replacing a 2010 Alfa Mito so expect a massive difference in modern motoring, although the mito has been faultless for the 5 years I've had it until recently its showing its age and I got a nice windfall from some investments to purchase the Polestar.

Soldato
Pretty fed up with our Polestar 2 now. We've had it a few months (brand new) as a temporary loan while we wait for a Q4 etron, and a couple of months ago my partner had a problem on the motorway where all of the sound in the car stopped working, and also the indicators - not great. I had to Google and work out how to do a full reset of the software when luckily she safely got home.

Then last week she couldn't start or unlock it with the key - I drove over to where she was and the 4G and wifi module was not working, but fortunately I had set my phone up as a digital key and I was able to drive it home as bluetooth was still working. I couldn't lock it though because the app wasn't working because of no connectivity. I called Polestar assistance out the next day and they removed trim from under the bonnet and disconnected the battery for a while and that fixed it. I know how to do it again, but my partner won't be able to do that if she is out with the kids. Apparently it's happened to a few people due to a new firmware update.

To add insult to injury we had a puncture this week, and because it's a company car we have to get the tyres replaced by the lease company. Guess what, they are special Polestar tyres which they have no idea when they will be able to get hold of, so I have a useless car dumped on my driveway for goodness knows how long. After a lot of arguing we are going to get a replacement hire car tomorrow.

My partner didn't want a Polestar originally because she thought it was a 'duff brand' that she had never heard of, and I convinced her otherwise. I'm beginning to think she was right all along. The lease company even basically said "Yeah, Polestar is a new brand that is hard to get tyres for - tough luck".

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Pretty fed up with our Polestar 2 now. We've had it a few months (brand new) as a temporary loan while we wait for a Q4 etron, and a couple of months ago my partner had a problem on the motorway where all of the sound in the car stopped working, and also the indicators - not great. I had to Google and work out how to do a full reset of the software when luckily she safely got home.

Then last week she couldn't start or unlock it with the key - I drove over to where she was and the 4G and wifi module was not working, but fortunately I had set my phone up as a digital key and I was able to drive it home as bluetooth was still working. I couldn't lock it though because the app wasn't working because of no connectivity. I called Polestar assistance out and they removed trim from under the bonnet and disconnected the battery for a while and that fixed it. I know how to do it again, but my partner won't be able to do that if she is out with the kids. Apparently it's happened to a few people due to a new firmware update.

To add insult to injury we had a puncture this week, and because it's a company car we have to get the tyres replaced by the lease company. Guess what, they are special Polestar tyres which they have no idea when they will be able to get. After a lot of arguing we are going to get a replacement hire car tomorrow.

My partner didn't want a Polestar originally because she thought it was a 'duff brand' that she had never heard of, and I convinced her otherwise. I'm beginning to think she was right all along. The lease company even basically said "Yeah, Polestar is a new brand, that it's hard to get tyres for - tough luck".

A friend had the same issue with tyres on his Tesla M3, took quite a while to get the tyres.

Soldato

Then last week she couldn't start or unlock it with the key - I drove over to where she was and the 4G and wifi module was not working, but fortunately I had set my phone up as a digital key and I was able to drive it home as bluetooth was still working. I couldn't lock it though because the app wasn't working because of no connectivity. I called Polestar assistance out the next day and they removed trim from under the bonnet and disconnected the battery for a while and that fixed it. I know how to do it again, but my partner won't be able to do that if she is out with the kids. Apparently it's happened to a few people due to a new firmware update.

To add insult to injury we had a puncture this week, and because it's a company car we have to get the tyres replaced by the lease company. Guess what, they are special Polestar tyres which they have no idea when they will be able to get hold of, so I have a useless car dumped on my driveway for goodness knows how long. After a lot of arguing we are going to get a replacement hire car tomorrow.

My partner didn't want a Polestar originally because she thought it was a 'duff brand' that she had never heard of, and I convinced her otherwise. I'm beginning to think she was right all along. The lease company even basically said "Yeah, Polestar is a new brand that is hard to get tyres for - tough luck".
Surely the tyres are just regular 245/45 R19 XL or 245/40 R20 XL depending on the wheel size... of which there are dozens of options?!

Soldato
Surely the tyres are just regular 245/45 R19 XL or 245/40 R20 XL depending on the wheel size... of which there are dozens of options?!
You would think so wouldn't you! They have to be 'POL' stamped - and to Tinders' point, I have a Tesla Model 3 as well and they have their own special T0 stamped tyres. It's a complete mess, although not confined to EVs as BMW and Mercedes do the same. But with a Polestar, as they are quite rare comparatively, there is a massive wait for the tyres, some people have waited 10 weeks in a group I'm in.

Soldato
You would think so wouldn't you! They have to be 'POL' stamped - and to Tinders' point, I have a Tesla Model 3 as well and they have their own special T0 stamped tyres. It's a complete mess, although not confined to EVs as BMW and Mercedes do the same. But with a Polestar, as they are quite rare comparatively, there is a massive wait for the tyres, some people have waited 10 weeks in a group I'm in.
I know yours is leased so you are at the discretion of the leasing company but I can honestly say that if I owned any car that required a manufacturers marking on the tyres I'd take absolutely no notice what so ever! POL stamp... what a load of cobblers :cry:

Soldato
I know yours is leased so you are at the discretion of the leasing company but I can honestly say that if I owned any car that required a manufacturers marking on the tyres I'd take absolutely no notice what so ever! POL stamp... what a load of cobblers :cry:
Yep, I agree. This is the first time we've had a company leased car, we got it because of the BIK tax benefits, but it may be the last!

Associate

Well, that was the follow up I was looking for! I heard the issues with the 2.2 update but most were "the mirrors fold down when reversing and not returning" not "it stopped working" ! bit of a worry that for a £50k car!

I'm hoping that by the time I actually get it delivered further updates will fix the software, tesla did have issues in its infancy also but yeh, software dev and SDLC doesn't seem to be Polestars strong point, have a feeling we are beta testing :(

Associate
probably because it weights the same as a house but even then, some XL van tyres would surely be fine in the right size!

Soldato
Well, that was the follow up I was looking for! I heard the issues with the 2.2 update but most were "the mirrors fold down when reversing and not returning" not "it stopped working" ! bit of a worry that for a £50k car!

I'm hoping that by the time I actually get it delivered further updates will fix the software, tesla did have issues in its infancy also but yeh, software dev and SDLC doesn't seem to be Polestars strong point, have a feeling we are beta testing :(
If it's any consolation, up until last week she wanted to cancel the Q4 company car and order a Polestar, as everything else has been great on it. They really need to sort out these kind of issues though. We'll end up keeping it until at least next year anyway, because the Q4 isn't due until December (yeah right, as if that will happen).

Back
Top Bottom