When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
new reviews of Astra22's saloon/estate still say that will be available in full electric next year too, so, more cars in the sub-premium/affordable segment,
with new car delays sounds as though you must be prepared to reserve even before cars have been reviewed/off-plan

I doubt the Astra will be affordable. Corsa e and Mokka E are £30k+.

Associate
I like @sandys approach of chucking a refundable deposit at anything that catched the eye :D

Megane is ground up new platform though, Astra just a rehash of the ICE one.

They might not all be refundable so be careful if you are worried about a few hundred quid. Since dropping out of our last purchase I've spent a few k just keeping the bangers going, so I am less concerned about a small deposit as I know I have a transfer box to replace soon (doubt its repair will hold) if a new car doesn't come and that's a few k on its own.

I do like that Megane mind you I may drop another :D Looks a bit slopey at the front windscreen, I wonder what access is like we struggled with entry to the EV6 due to this.

Last edited:
Soldato
I miss the days that gimmicky police cars were Lambos
aforementioned usa tesla cop chase V

EDIT: In fact that begs the question that, if the torque is multiplied by the reduction factor (which I understand it is), then my Kona is technically sending 4000Nm to the wheels when the motor is outputting 400Nm of torque, assuming a 10:1 reduction?
always interesting to do some maths ..
4000Nm : 4000/0.3 = 13.3kN force on a 30cm radius wheel
Newton : F = ma 13300/2000Kg (car weight) => acceleration = 6ms^2
0-60mph in 5s is 5.4ms^2.

Soldato
aforementioned usa tesla cop chase V

always interesting to do some maths ..
4000Nm : 4000/0.3 = 13.3kN force on a 30cm radius wheel
Newton : F = ma 13300/2000Kg (car weight) => acceleration = 6ms^2
0-60mph in 5s is 5.4ms^2.
Interesting. Using the actual figures of 395Nm, 7.981 reduction, 33.4cm radius, 1800kg car gives me 5.2ms^2 but my car definitely can’t do 0-60 in 5 seconds :p I guess that’s theoretical max?

Soldato
Yes it will be and it will be a challenge, one I don't actually relish as charging to some tracks like Angelsey etc is littered with 'fast' 7kw chargers and nothing faster in sight hence the PHEV preference, so it would really be a bind and would also involve a lot of unhitching etc, EV infrastructure are not ready for towing really, PHEVs definitely superior but being optimistic this should improve over time.

Certainly ICE cars are impacted massively with respect to range when towing but you can drive into any petrol station with trailer attached and fill and go in 5 mins and in fact even with atrocious range impact I can still do ~300 miles to a tank which is far better than most EVs non towing range. :D

We consider it still though as it is an inconvenience for a small proportion of our ownership.

Another issue is public charging all being ******* app controlled. Which inevitably doesn't work when you really need it to, no signal, app server down, etc. Too much to go wrong and all being data farmed for targeted ads of course. At a petrol pump you swipe your card and go, it needs to be like that.

Soldato
Another issue is public charging all being ******* app controlled. Which inevitably doesn't work when you really need it to, no signal, app server down, etc. Too much to go wrong and all being data farmed for targeted ads of course. At a petrol pump you swipe your card and go, it needs to be like that.
Errr it is already contactless for rapid charging

Associate
Its just like parking charges really a pain the first time but after that no biggie, provided it works of course :D

A couple of manufacturers have cards that combine a lot of these services though don't they?

Soldato
Did anyone else see that some Canadian company unlocked the Model S Plaid top speed limitation, removing the 162MPH limit imposed, and ran at 216MPH! Proper tyres and brakes were retro-fitted as the official Tesla ones aren't out yet. I wonder how many mile you could cover at that speed before the battery pack either overheats or is just empty.

Caporegime
Did anyone else see that some Canadian company unlocked the Model S Plaid top speed limitation, removing the 162MPH limit imposed, and ran at 216MPH! Proper tyres and brakes were retro-fitted as the official Tesla ones aren't out yet. I wonder how many mile you could cover at that speed before the battery pack either overheats or is just empty.
1000+Hp. Not really a surprise

TOW

TOW

Associate
Never... electric is short term cash grab only.

There are so many alternate options like 0-emission fuel production, hydrogen (direct or fuel cell) and more... that can easily utilise the existing infrastructure while being good for the environment.

This is a cash grab based upon the fictitious carbon tax and nothing more.

Soldato
Never... electric is short term cash grab only.

There are so many alternate options like 0-emission fuel production, hydrogen (direct or fuel cell) and more... that can easily utilise the existing infrastructure while being good for the environment.

This is a cash grab based upon the fictitious carbon tax and nothing more.
Cash grab?
EV’s cost less to buy and/or run than those other options you listed. Motoring never been as cheap !

Back
Top Bottom