When recruitment goes weird

Caporegime
So I recently had an interview that I was told by the recruiter went really well and they were really impressed with me and felt I was a good fit for the company, had a project to do which again went down very well according to the recruiter. So all positives.

Cut to yesterday and the recruiter again says I was very well received and they really like me/the work I did but they don't have room for me in the office.....he said he would keep in touch in a week or two to see if anything has changed.

:confused:

...excuse me? What does that even mean? Why interview me then? They are actively advertising for the role as well.

What gives? Is this just the recruiter letting me down gently or something?

I can’t think of a scenario where I’ve ever heard of this before, I’m confused, I’m not sure if I should ring him again today and try and press him for more as to what’s actually happening or just let it go.

Advice?

Last edited:
Associate
Regardless of typos or whatever, there can be a variety of different reasons at play here.
  • There really isn't enough room in the office - some team that was expected to relocate hasnt. Or a temp who's desk you were going to have has been extended for a week.
  • They found another candidate they want, and the recruiter doesn't want to tell you.
  • The recruiter found another candidate they can make a better margin on, and are pushing them instead.
  • They've done a risk assessment and because you're 24 stone and 8 foot tall, they can't afford the adaptions to the office...
If you need a job right now, keep looking.
If you wanted this particular job but don't "need it", let it sit for a couple of weeks. They may come thru and say everythings fine then.

Caporegime
OP
That was what I was generally thinking, I don't need a job as employed currently, but the culture of the company seemed great and all.

Just a very weird situation to be in.

Caporegime
Let's be honest:

They're talking out of their arses but don't want to lose you as a candidate so are trying to land the coin on the edge. The interview didn't go well but they want you for other stuff so told you you did well.

Recruiters all do this. Second only to estate agents in terms of bile spewed.

Caporegime
OP
Sorry that might have come across wrong. What I should've said is they might have found a better candidate.

Also very possible, but I don't understand why he would string me along instead of telling me the truth...what's the gain from that? It ****** me off more not knowing 100% and makes me think I wont bother with him in the future and just ignore his calls and emails. I don't care if I wasn't the best candidate or not, if they found someone more suitable then cool, just be honest with me.

Caporegime
Also very possible, but I don't understand why he would string me along instead of telling me the truth...what's the gain from that? It ****** me off more not knowing 100% and makes me think I wont bother with him in the future and just ignore his calls and emails. I don't care if I wasn't the best candidate or not, if they found someone more suitable then cool, just be honest with me.

Because commission. If they **** you off and you scrap them then that's lost commission. If they string you along and keep your hopes up they might still be able to place you and cash in.

//I know a recruiter, and let's just say that he's... economical with the truth and his moral compass is more of a guide.

Associate
it seems recruiters never do this.
i once got turned down for a job after 2 interviews, cause i spoke german and not french :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Because commission. If they **** you off and you scrap them then that's lost commission. If they string you along and keep your hopes up they might still be able to place you and cash in.

//I know a recruiter, and let's just say that he's... economical with the truth and his moral compass is more of a guide.

Well that's happened anyway.

it seems recruiters never do this.
i once got turned down for a job after 2 interviews, cause i spoke german and not french :rolleyes:

Lol, equally as ridiculous.

Caporegime
Perhaps they've gone with another candidate, you might be the next in line etc.. so they don't want to reject you outright yet until the other candidate has signed the contract (or perhaps even started there)... then if something goes wrong they can phone you up and suddenly the issue that they made up unrelated to your performance has been resolved and the job is there if you want it.

Caporegime
OP
Perhaps they've gone with another candidate, you might be the next in line etc.. so they don't want to reject you outright yet until the other candidate has signed the contract (or perhaps even started there)... then if something goes wrong they can phone you up and suddenly the issue that they made up unrelated to your performance has been resolved and the job is there if you want it.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that one. Seems to fit the scenario.

Caporegime
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that one. Seems to fit the scenario.

it does happen from time to time - not the specific excuse you heard per say but the recruiter wanting to find some way to keep the second choice candidate in reserve without rejecting them outright

Soldato
I had an interview and a second, then a phone call that was along the lines of "Hi, I've good news and bad news. The good news is we want you, the bad news is we've only 1 position and they've given it to a more qualified candidate! We're in talks next week about employing 2 more analysts if you'd be interested?" 6 weeks later I started in the role, the more experienced person is a uni student with no experience and had turned down the job for another which he hated and decided to come here after all.

It could mean anything, don't get too involved and if you'd really like to know the truth, contact the company directly ;)

Caporegime
OP
I had an interview and a second, then a phone call that was along the lines of "Hi, I've good news and bad news. The good news is we want you, the bad news is we've only 1 position and they've given it to a more qualified candidate! We're in talks next week about employing 2 more analysts if you'd be interested?" 6 weeks later I started in the role, the more experienced person is a uni student with no experience and had turned down the job for another which he hated and decided to come here after all.

It could mean anything, don't get too involved and if you'd really like to know the truth, contact the company directly ;)

You see that had crossed my mind but I didn’t know how that would be received.

Back
Top Bottom