• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
It helps but I think quite a lot of scalpers have also been stung recently and by us trying to push for deals and get support for deals, lowering prices fast is really hurting any scalpers out there as their profits are reduced or they make losses at which point they will be far less inclined to try and buy more stock. As the saying goes don't try to catch a falling knife and these last weeks I've been pushing hard for support and deals which have now arrived, hence a few decent deals in the current climate.

We will never get back to where prices were unfortunately but they can still come down by a decent wack from the current highs. Be interesting how supply is later in the month after CNY. It is fair to say Covid looks to be passing and the BTC boom as well, which should help stock considerably, the problem is now it looks like shipping cost won't drop due to the dramatic increases in energy/fuel prices, but the profit margins from the supply chain certainly has room for a haircut.

pretty much sums it up Gibbo I think generally most costs for the majority of products that make the world go round are dropping back to pre pandemic level. Energy/ fuel prices will eventually be resolved. 2023 looks like it could be a very good year all round.

Associate
pretty much sums it up Gibbo I think generally most costs for the majority of products that make the world go round are dropping back to pre pandemic level. Energy/ fuel prices will eventually be resolved. 2023 looks like it could be a very good year all round.

2023 we will all be in a recession or in ww3

Permabanned
2023 we will all be in a recession or in ww3

WW3 is impossible.
In order to have such a war, one of the global powers must have a serious issue. Like Germany and their poverty which resulted in the rise of Adolf Hitler and the nazis.
Regarding a recession, aren't we in an ongoing recession as of now because of the high energy prices and the global pandemics?

Soldato
Shipping companies are pandemic profiteering as are energy companies:
https://fortune.com/2021/12/03/shipping-container-record-profit-supply-chain-breakdown/
Container shipping pre-tax profit for 2021 and 2022 could be as high as $300 billion, according to Drewry, an independent maritime research consultancy. In 2021, the industry is forecast to make $150 billion. That’s a new record. In 2020, the industry brought in $25.4 billion, according to The Journal of Commerce. And even though 2021 has been a banner year, Drewry expects the industry to make even more in 2022.

“To seasoned observers of the container market, typing these numbers on a page is frankly surreal” Drewry wrote in its Container Insight Weekly analysis on the industry. “Stronger-than-expected spot rate movement in the third quarter and a longer supply chain recovery timeline are behind our reason to upgrade the outlook for average global freight rates — spot and contract — for 2021.”

Those eye-popping numbers might be because container companies like Maersk are taking advantage of strong demand in ports, and raising freight prices to new highs. Dewry expects average global rates for Q4 to increase by 126% above those in Q3.

Associate
As a subject close to my heart (as I live it every day ) shipping is unlikely to improve this year at last). Average container rates from most Chinese ports are around 7 to 10 higher than they were pre pandemic. It’s shocking. There are suggestions that this will drop in 2023 - but a lot of pain until then. However due to the size of GPU’s and components it should not be the driving force for GPU prices. If we were talking a big box domestic appliance the proportional cost of transport would be just massive (based on qty per 40ft container).

Soldato
As a subject close to my heart (as I live it every day ) shipping is unlikely to improve this year at last). Average container rates from most Chinese ports are around 7 to 10 higher than they were pre pandemic. It’s shocking. There are suggestions that this will drop in 2023 - but a lot of pain until then. However due to the size of GPU’s and components it should not be the driving force for GPU prices. If we were talking a big box domestic appliance the proportional cost of transport would be just massive (based on qty per 40ft container).

china needs to stop its covid lockdowns and restrictions and get back to work

maybe it is their plan, destroy economies that buy stuff from China by causing massive inflation

GAC

GAC

Soldato
whats that you say, companies maximising profits. who'd have guessed it.

the problem is while 2023 should signal a price drop i can see it not being as big as we'd all like across many sectors as people who have been holding off buying things will now buy things and keep them prices up due to higher demand.

for example im holding off having jobs done on the house due to building materials being freakishly high as well as a new gpu, and i know a few others who have been holding off house stuff for the same reason. get the feeling we'll be getting rinsed by manufacturers all the way down to retail for a good couple of years to come. just slightly less year by year as things slowly get back to some sort of normality.

Associate
china needs to stop its covid lockdowns and restrictions and get back to work

maybe it is their plan, destroy economies that buy stuff from China by causing massive inflation
China (at least the main factory areas) is not closed due to Covid - and hasn’t been for a long time.Chinese New Year is underway now - so lots of factory’s tend to close for 10 days or so. I assume it a the same for chip manufacturers etc. That won’t help.

Associate
3090ti has been on sale for 4K in a few places I won’t name. So prices are still going up and at this rate we could see GPUs being sold by retailers for 5k which is nuts when a 2080ti was the top of the line card for just over 1k.

Man of Honour
2080ti was overpriced, 1080ti was $699 and the improvement made by the 2080ti wasn't great compared to say the 3090 over 2080ti.

Edit: looking at ebay, used 1080ti is arguably one of the best value cards right now excluding founders edition. Going rate seems to be about £450 which is a lot better than a few months ago and it is marginally better than a 3060ti.

Soldato
Pretty sad and sick to read things like this, while the world is still in crisis these companies are making the most of it while adding to the issues already at end!

whats that you say, companies maximising profits. who'd have guessed it.

the problem is while 2023 should signal a price drop i can see it not being as big as we'd all like across many sectors as people who have been holding off buying things will now buy things and keep them prices up due to higher demand.

for example im holding off having jobs done on the house due to building materials being freakishly high as well as a new gpu, and i know a few others who have been holding off house stuff for the same reason. get the feeling we'll be getting rinsed by manufacturers all the way down to retail for a good couple of years to come. just slightly less year by year as things slowly get back to some sort of normality.

A lot of them are using "pandemic excuses" but you can tell which industries are being sincere and those which have not been. Just look at net/gross margins and profits. If those have been going up a decent amount then you know they have been increasing prices way above any actual cost increases. Also look at the same companies and whether they have been cutting jobs and restricting pay despite them having record years. The reality it's mostly small and medium sized businesses getting dicked around by this plus us consumers.

Also,because these larger companies are jacking up pricing,if anything people are going to having less and less budget set aside to do stuff,so I can start to see consumers be more concerned about covering the massive increases in energy bills,etc. I can see their greed starting to backfire,because their investors will want these levels of returns permanently. If consumer confidence longer term collapses as people need to start tightening their belts,or there is a mass default on debt(like what happened with the Subprime crisis in 2007),it could eventually lead to another Dotcom type crash too. We are already seeing Facebook loosing a lot of value.

Governments really need to investigate this pandemic profiteering,because it's essentially war profiteering,but I suspect many won't care as these companies will lobby for governments to look away.

China (at least the main factory areas) is not closed due to Covid - and hasn’t been for a long time.Chinese New Year is underway now - so lots of factory’s tend to close for 10 days or so. I assume it a the same for chip manufacturers etc. That won’t help.

Because of WFH,etc the semi-conductor manufacturers,large tech companies,etc are using the pandemic excuse to jack prices up like what the HDD companies did after the floods in Thailand many years ago.

Now,they are also receiving 10s of billions of USD of US and European taxpayer funds to build new fabs,factories over in this part of the world,and tax breaks too.

So we are not only just paying more upfront,more of our tax money in the US/Europe is going to them,and they are probably also finding ways to pay less tax too. Nvidia in 2018 didn't even pay any Federal tax in the US:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/16/these-91-fortune-500-companies-didnt-pay-federal-taxes-in-2018.html

Many large tech companies also pay very little tax anyway:
https://www.salon.com/2021/06/01/am...-in-taxes-than-they-claimed-analysis_partner/

3.6% effective tax rate on earnings!

Last edited:
Soldato
2080ti was overpriced, 1080ti was $699 and the improvement made by the 2080ti wasn't great compared to say the 3090 over 2080ti.

Edit: looking at ebay, used 1080ti is arguably one of the best value cards right now excluding founders edition. Going rate seems to be about £450 which is a lot better than a few months ago and it is marginally better than a 3060ti.

I almost bought a 1080Ti but was worried about warranty as I had a vega 56 go pop just as the gpu madness kicked off. I managed to snag a FE 3060Ti for MSRP thankfully.

I was under the impression the 3060ti was better than 1080ti , from the benchies I've seen.

Caporegime
Shipping companies are pandemic profiteering as are energy companies:
https://fortune.com/2021/12/03/shipping-container-record-profit-supply-chain-breakdown/

Of course they are. If something goes up in price, someone somewhere down the chain has decided they want to make more money.

Things just don't magically become ore expensive. Greedy people realise what they can hold people to ransom with due to demand, and start thinking about new furnishings for their yacht.

We should all be furious at it all, but instead we all just let people get away with it (i'm including myself in this as i'm just as apathetic towards as everyone else, it when it comes down to it)

Soldato
Of course they are. If something goes up in price, someone somewhere down the chain has decided they want to make more money.

Things just don't magically become ore expensive. Greedy people realise what they can hold people to ransom with due to demand, and start thinking about new furnishings for their yacht.

We should all be furious at it all, but instead we all just let people get away with it (i'm including myself in this as i'm just as apathetic towards as everyone else, it when it comes down to it)

During the last two years all of the electronics I have purchased are at RRP or below it. I got over FOMO(mostly) because I want to not only get good value but decent usage out of stuff.

Caporegime
During the last two years all of the electronics I have purchased are at RRP or below it. I got over FOMO(mostly) because I want to not only get good value but decent usage out of stuff.

Yep. Would never pay a penny over RRP for anything (and most of the time will wait for a deal below it - obviously that is impossible with GPU's at the moment though).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom