• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't know they could control the difficulty, I thought it was a function of fewer coins left to mine. Doesn't sound like mining is going to be a big factor in GPU's this time around then.

Soldato
Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't know they could control the difficulty, I thought it was a function of fewer coins left to mine. Doesn't sound like mining is going to be a big factor in GPU's this time around then.

It`s both. ETH foundation introduced fee burning last year ( https://fortune.com/2022/03/21/ethe...thereum has cut,Burn, an Ether data dashboard. ) to control the coins in circulation , there is also a cap on how many are minted in a given year. However as the move to Proof of Stake continues, the current Proof of Work will go away ; they want the merge to be seamless; but as i said before , with the current trend, PoW drop off is a danger to PoS rollout. But thats only Ethereum; there are many other crypto coins that can be mined on GPU`s and/or Asics.

Associate
It`s both. ETH foundation introduced fee burning last year ( https://fortune.com/2022/03/21/ethereum-destroyed-billions-in-ether-supply/#:~:text=Since August, Ethereum has cut,Burn, an Ether data dashboard. ) to control the coins in circulation , there is also a cap on how many are minted in a given year. However as the move to Proof of Stake continues, the current Proof of Work will go away ; they want the merge to be seamless; but as i said before , with the current trend, PoW drop off is a danger to PoS rollout. But thats only Ethereum; there are many other crypto coins that can be mined on GPU`s and/or Asics.
And have any of these lesser-known altcoins actually take on a significant hashrate, or are they as I would suspect mostly speculators coins?*

What would happen to the reward if 90% of all GPU miners went from ETH to some other coin?

*Which to some extend all of cryptos are. Which obviously isn't to say there wasn't, isn't now, nor will continue to be lots of people making money; but it's not a zero sum game especially if speculation and crashes constitute a higher percentage of all transactions. For someone to gain - like with shares - someone usually has to lose.

G J

G J

Associate
So ETH and other crypto can be controlled/meddled/fixed/manipulated/changed at will to keep the money moving but I thought that was the point in it so people and goverment could not mess with it. :confused:

As you can tell my crypto knowledge is bad.

Soldato
And have any of these lesser-known altcoins actually take on a significant hashrate, or are they as I would suspect mostly speculators coins?*

What would happen to the reward if 90% of all GPU miners went from ETH to some other coin?

*Which to some extend all of cryptos are. Which obviously isn't to say there wasn't, isn't now, nor will continue to be lots of people making money; but it's not a zero sum game especially if speculation and crashes constitute a higher percentage of all transactions. For someone to gain - like with shares - someone usually has to lose.
GPU/CPU or any sort of hobbyist mining is dead and will never be a factor again. With all the hate coming towards crypto regarding electricity usage, harming the environment etc any new coin that can be mined is dead on arrival and not to be taken seriously.

Anything else you hear it's just delusional miners that are struggling to come to terms with the reality.

Soldato

Its already been tried, with flux / rvn/ergo having significant hash rate migration for a weekend. What was found though was teh contribution of asics on ETH is a lot more than many people think, and there options are very limited (ETC likely the destination). This really is 2017 all over again (super cycle), wait till the next coin rises for miners. Sadly many of the doom sayers have limited understanding of the last 15 years and will carry on declaring crypto is dead when they actually dont understand much at all. Last supercycle ETH was near nothing and yet by 2018 it was on the rise. The same will occur in 2024 with another coin. CPU mining ended a decade ago (baring the occasional new one)

Soldato
So ETH and other crypto can be controlled/meddled/fixed/manipulated/changed at will to keep the money moving but I thought that was the point in it so people and goverment could not mess with it. :confused:

As you can tell my crypto knowledge is bad.
Everything can be controlled, I mean, how do you think it develops in the first place? Someone's doing it. The difference is always one of degrees. In the case of something like ETH you have the whole network voting on whether they are okay with what's going on or not, and if they aren't then they continue on a different fork from before the latest changes happen. So it's a lot more democratic than a Central Bank, but it's not like everyone has equal influence or its completely unchangeable.

Soldato
Everything can be controlled, I mean, how do you think it develops in the first place? Someone's doing it. The difference is always one of degrees. In the case of something like ETH you have the whole network voting on whether they are okay with what's going on or not, and if they aren't then they continue on a different fork from before the latest changes happen. So it's a lot more democratic than a Central Bank, but it's not like everyone has equal influence or its completely unchangeable.
Sure I read that most of the crypto is in a very few hands these days. Presumably the big boys moved it and bought it up?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Sure I read that most of the crypto is in a very few hands these days. Presumably the big boys moved it and bought it up?

Been on the scene fairly early, we are over a decade since it gained traction. The chance to 'get in' for the huge gains is early. At the moment its reached the masses and rather popular, as you can see if you check how many hedge funds, banks, corps etc are buying up, your latter question is happening/happened.

Soldato
I understand your point, but in my 30+ years of building PCs and near-obsessively upgrading and changing of GPUs, I've had maybe... 3 fail. And two of those were DOA. If a card had worked for a year without issue, it will likely work for three more at least. Also, it's not like you can't get a refund for the smallest whiff of an issue within 30 days.

My advice would be if you can't afford (the relatively low risk) of losing the money, get a new one.

My thoughts exactly, hence I’d have never had a problem buying second gear.

He who dares wins.

Associate
My thoughts exactly, hence I’d have never had a problem buying second gear.

He who dares wins.
This was a bonkers cycle for me as far as used cards go:
  • Early Sept '20 - Bought a 2080 ti for £450 in the madness two weeks before the 3000-series launch
  • 17 Sept '20 - Bought a 3080 new on launch day at MSRP
  • mid-2021 (during the cypto peak) - Sold the 3080 (non-LHR) and 2080 ti for a tidy profit
  • mid-2021, bought an 3080 ti LHR for notably less I'd just sold the 3080
  • May 2022 - Sold the 3080 ti last month for £1000
  • Last week bought a 3090 for £800
May be luck, but I didn't have a single problem with a sold or bought card. All in all, I somehow parlayed a base AIB 3080 and 2080 ti into a 3090 AND a 4k 144hz monitor + pocket change.

Last edited:
Associate
MRSP for the 3060 was 329 dollars and £299. However, the pound is weak at the moment and it was probably a false MRSP at the time as there were extra import tariffs in the USA. So IMO £329 is a fair price compared to the previous 2060, owing to the extra vram on the 3060 and inflation. Not to say a 3060ti at MRSP is an even better buy for many gamers, especially at 1080p, https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/147425-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3060-gaming-oc-12gb/

Soldato
MRSP for the 3060 was 329 dollars and £299. However, the pound is weak at the moment and it was probably a false MRSP at the time as there were extra import tariffs in the USA. So IMO £329 is a fair price compared to the previous 2060, owing to the extra vram on the 3060 and inflation. Not to say a 3060ti at MRSP is an even better buy for many gamers, especially at 1080p, https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/147425-gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3060-gaming-oc-12gb/
Really strange how the 3060 gets 12GB of RAM and the 3080 10GB. Not checked but faster RAM on the 3080?

Associate
According to the Hexus review the 3060 memory is 15gps and the 3080 is 19gps. However, the 3060 might have originally been designed as a 6GB card (like the 2060) and because AMD released 6900/6800 with 16GB amd 6700xt with 12GB of vram Nvidia might have decided it was best to send the 3060 to market with 12GB vram

Soldato
Really strange how the 3060 gets 12GB of RAM and the 3080 10GB. Not checked but faster RAM on the 3080?
It's all to do with the bus width, the 3060 being 192 bit bus only had the option of 6 or 12gb, IMO nvidia should have just used a 256bit bus like the 3060ti and went with 8gb as that is fine for 1080p and the extra bandwith would have gave it some extra fps.

The 3080 gets 10 and 12gb now, nvidia probably went with 10gb intitially to give it some product segmentation from the impending ti which is already very close in terms of performance.

Back
Top Bottom