when things go bad at work

Associate
hi all,

just wanted to get this off my chest.

I started working for my current employer last june. the role was it manager/web designer for their insurance division. I loved it. Between september and january I re-developed the companies web site from scratch, adding in a fully functional cms. It took up most of my spare time as well as my working days to get it done on time (to the dispair of my wife).

I was also told that I would be taking responsibility for 3 other offices and a promotion and salary increase were being discussed at board level. all was good. We had decided to move in larger house and has started looking at places a little closer to work.

Then at the end of feburary we were told that the company was being taken over. initially this seemed a good thing in that there would be more oppertunities for me to grow my position as IT Manager.

however then i learnt that i was going to be demoted to report to the it manager in the company who took us over. the web site i had spent so long working on was to be shut down, the intranet i had also developed would also be shut down and i was being told to take responsibility for the 3 other offices without the promotion/salary raise.

turns out that our company directors had known about the take over for 5 months and that they had lied (kept the truth hidden) to me about the promotion etc. they also told me that they knew the web site would go but couldn't tell me becuase of legal reasons.

anyway i've since had discussions with my managing director regarding my role and so far for the past 3 months (to the day now) all she can tell me is that they do not know what is happening with any of the staff in our company! Although she has asked is I minded relocating to the southwest if needs be!

as you can imagine there is a lot of confusion at the moment, no one really knows what going on, everyone is sceptical of anything coming from the new company and most people are looking for other jobs.

the most annoying thing about it all is that this was the prefect role for me, mixture of IT and web design, working with a great bunch of people and in a place not too far from more, oh and the money is good.

now i've been demoted, my hard work thrown in the bin, and i may have to move away to keep the job.

I am looking for another similar role but it's frustrating having already found the "perfect" job only for it to be taken away :(

on the upside, i've gained a shed load of experience, especially were web stuff is concerend so that will help me secure a better job in the end.

anyway thanks for reading.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that, I'd start looking around at different jobs if I were you though.

Its seems to be more and more common for companies to amalgamate and its always the ground level employees that suffer. They get no say in the matter at all.

Soldato
i feel for you mate, a similar thing is happening to me and its hard to find another job when you used to love your old one that much :(

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I am already looking to get out. I've spoken to our marketing manager today who has already been assimilated into the new companies marketing dept. he's been told outright that his loyalty lays with the new company and not the old one at all.

i've also been told to dump all of my current suppliers in favor of the new companies. one of their suppliers is also a customer of theirs... you scratch my back etc?

Associate
unlucky there
best thing to do is ass kiss the highest managers as much as possible even if it makes ** blood boil they will probably keep you on there books theres nothing worse than having no job an no income

an u never know pay rice an such when they see how good you are an how much they do need you an your skills

good luck which ever way it goes though

Associate
OP
one thing i will be taking with me when I go will be a very good reference. i've had suppliers, internal staff, the company board, and even the owner of the company (before the take over) all telling me what a fantastic job i'm doing :)

I guess now is the time to decide if I want another job or just throw myself into my own company and turn it from a hobby to a full time job.

Associate
There are stories on here everyday of people getting congratulated by management 1 minute and being handed a P45 the next. I still think it would be wise to have a good hard look of what's out there just in case the worst happens.

Back
Top Bottom