When was the last time you cried and why?

Associate
Well I'm a 21 year old male and I cry, I am very sensitive and its quite annoying. Quite literally broke down at my Gran's funeral, which wasn't pleasant. Going through a break at the moment as well, so I've cried a bit recently.

I find crying as the best way to flush some emotions out and usually feel better afterwards :)

I don't know how I'm going to cope with all the alpha in this thread though :o

Soldato
Crying is a natural reaction.

I remember attending an RTC a few years ago when a bloke came off his motorbike and I was in the back of the ambulance with him and a paramedic.

He was holding my hand and slipped under, his eyes rolling back and his grip loosening and me and the paramedic worked on him until we got to the hospital where a med team took over. He died a short time later and when I got told I broke down in tears because I didn't save his life. I felt awful but also felt better for the release.

A bloke I knew worked as the coroners officer and told me that his internal injuries were horrific and nothing could have saved him and in a strange way I felt better but that man still died while holding my hand and on my watch.

It s something I will never forget.

The job you do is absolutely amazing. I couldn't do it. I and many others are proud of the work you guys do. You would be inhuman not to cry. Respect.

Soldato
Don't really cry at films at all but I've been crying quite a lot recently because of female-related issues that have basically ruined the second half of my year at uni.

Also went to my first ever funeral a few months ago for my grandad who I didn't really know very well and I still cried quite a lot, the atmosphere is truly horrible and I can't say I enjoyed it at all but then I guess it's a means to an end.

Associate
If i'm feeling a little down stuff affects me more, recently read 'I Kill Giants' graphic novel and that got me. If i was in a good mood it probably wouldn't have. This killed me when I split with my g/f, most probably as we both did photography; http://vimeo.com/4220803

But hey, can't be happy all the time, without the sour and sadness, the sweet just ain't as good, plus them tears taste good, mmmmm salty goodness.

Soldato
i cry, but more often i get a lump in my throat, and thats usually pretty often.

last time was this morning reading about the unknown solider in westminster abbey.

was reading about how they were selected, and how the country paid their respects...

amazing...

Associate
Crying is a natural reaction.

I remember attending an RTC a few years ago when a bloke came off his motorbike and I was in the back of the ambulance with him and a paramedic.

He was holding my hand and slipped under, his eyes rolling back and his grip loosening and me and the paramedic worked on him until we got to the hospital where a med team took over. He died a short time later and when I got told I broke down in tears because I didn't save his life. I felt awful but also felt better for the release.

Firstly, agree totally with Sponge - some of the sights you guys see in the course of your job must be absolutely horrific ... I suppose you do learn to cope with it eventually, but you'd be inhuman for it not to get to you at all. Massive, massive respect.

Lots of things make me well up - the Royal Wedding on Friday for instance, purely because it reminded me of my own, albeit more modest, wedding day, but that was obviously a happiness thing rather than any kind of negative emotion - but there's only a few things that reduce me to a blubbering mess these days.

My wife (or girlfriend as she was at that point) still recalls the first time I cried in front of her - we'd been together several months by that time and she said she was honoured that I felt comfortable enough in our relationship that I could show that side of my character.

For me, music is also incredibly powerful. The last time I really bawled, the music I was listening to was what sealed the deal. It was a horrible time in our family: I was writing a eulogy for my dad's funeral - barely six months after my grandad had also died.

Given the situation, my choice of music was odd, to say the least - the soundtrack to Gladiator. I was typing out my eulogy on the computer and my eyes were filling up - basically it got to the track 'Honour Him' and the enormity of what I was doing and the circumstances just hit me and despite being a grown man in my mid-thirties, I cried like a child.

I'll say this though - it was better than any therapy. One big outpouring of emotion gave me sufficient mental strength to get through the funeral in one piece, although I had a bit of a wobble when I looked round and saw how many of Dad's old workmates from 30-40 years ago had turned up. I remember feeling deeply proud that they thought enough of him to take the time, some of them having travelled long distances to do so.

Oddly, I find crying is like throwing up when you're ill - in almost every case, I always feel so much better afterwards :p

Caporegime
I cry a lot. However, I also suffer with depression on and off, so I'm perhaps not the best person to look to as normal on this front.

I cry loads in films, but that's because I'm quite romantic and led by emotion.

Soldato
I cried about a week ago when a close friend passed away, but before then I can't even remember. Will I hold it together for the funeral? God only knows

Soldato
Thanks sponge and Adnams. I appreciate that. :)

Policing is mostly common sense and how you speak to people. If you have bothe then you can generally do the job.

Goodness knows how I got in.:p

Probably part of their outreach program to get more mentally handicapped people on their staff :p

To be fair, anyone in a job like that is bound to come across situations that are gonn put a lump in your throat. Medics, services like the police & fire brigade, teaching, care work - if you come across a situation that 10 yeas ago would have moved you to tears, yet now doesn't even faze you, you've lost sight of the point of your job.

I certainly couldn't do your job, though, nor could I be a front-line healthcare worker. I just don't like people. I'm happy enough sat back in my lab, where I can do something that helps people without actually meeting any of the little scrotes.

Soldato
the Man Law states:

"It is OK for a man to cry ONLY under the following circumstances:

When a heroic dog dies to save its master.
The moment Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba, any of the hot Jessica’s starts unbuttoning her blouse.
After wrecking your boss’s car.
One hour, 12 minutes, 37 seconds into The Crying Game.
When she is using her teeth."

Associate
Crying isn't about being a man, it's about being connected. You either form proper emotional connections or you don't, in some cases because you can't. Criminals have been noted to have there frontal lobes (might be spelled wrong) of the brain less developed and they don't understand emotion well. Just like those idiots that do mental gymnastics and constantly lie during situations where they know they are wrong but can't admit it. I think when you are a man and you can't cry you've simply become distanced or accepting of loss, there's no real toughness or manliness to not crying as it's an emotional and not physical response. Like I said, I think some don't cry because they don't feel connected properly and feel distanced emotionally because they either don't form proper emotional connections or they can't.

Emotion is simply a response, a response to loss and anything you feel connected to enough that you lose should be able to trigger that emotional response unless you aren't properly connected. Also are some people saying they've not cried in years but just not had anything actually sad happen? I cry now and again, sometimes over music and songs but it's generally only if I care. If I choose to joke around when watching a movie then it obviously won't have the same effect but if you choose to care (and it's a choice like some say they choose not to cry in front of others) then it simply will have that effect.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't cry and I'm classed as emotionless by my family and friends.

The last time I cried was ages ago I think I was 12 or 13 and that was because I got head butted in the face and my tooth went through my lip.

My Nan died when I was 14 and I just couldn't cry maybe because I was trying to stay strong for my cousins I'm not sure but I didn't cry at her funeral either.

The only real emotion I've properly shown is anger and happiness and that's only through fights and being around friends. Never felt love but I'm 16 there is time for me to find it :(

Back
Top Bottom