When was your last speeding ticket?

Associate
I got a ticket on Friday, states I was doing 57 but doesn't say what the limit should be yet, need to send it back to confirm I was the driver, works vehicle.
I'm confused though as the section of A road is a 60mph limit, national speed limit, unless I'm missing something?

Dropped pin
Near A483, Wrexham
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YdFakB34SqVNSzq5A
Near A483, Wrexham

Associate
One speed awareness in 20 years. On a road they changed from 40 to 30 that I've driven a lot of the 15 years prior to changing and then I moved away from London (my uncle still lives in the area). I went through at 36 apparently. They've now put it back to 40. It was prior to the bridge works as well. Lots of people grumbled online about it.

Utter merchant bankers. Here: https://goo.gl/maps/NZsf3RYLEMnefoPJ7

Associate
I got a ticket on Friday, states I was doing 57 but doesn't say what the limit should be yet, need to send it back to confirm I was the driver, works vehicle.
I'm confused though as the section of A road is a 60mph limit, national speed limit, unless I'm missing something?

Dropped pin
Near A483, Wrexham
Near A483, Wrexham

Looks 60 to me, unless there were roadworks reducing the speed? I can only see national speed limit signage either way...

Maybe they're commending you on your staying within the limits ability!

No reduction for going over the bridge?

Associate
Man of Honour
If it was a van one then NSL is 50mph I think, not sure if it's classfied as car derived van or not - would explain the ticket though

They really need to sort these limits out, it can be very confusing and in a lot of cases doesn't make sense then there are vehicles that really should be under those limits that are exempted, etc.

In 99% of cases a Berlingo comes under the lower van limits (maybe not literally 99% but most of them will do).

Man of Honour
Never had one. Surprising really. There have been a fair few close calls.

The closest being:
- me and another car on a bank holiday flying along the M4. Police car on the other side of the road spots us, puts its lights on (I assume for us), but never managed to catch us up.
- Forgetting about the speed limit on a bridge going over the M25. Cop car and gun facing the M25. Turns around as I zoom past. I don’t think he was expecting to need to face my direction.
- oh, and the embarrassing incident in the rain and dark where I thought I had been done, only to find out in the light the next day that it was one of those glowing cut out police things tied to a lamppost :p

edit: forgot the closest. Zoomed off in a 40 from a set of lights. Spot an unmarked car put it’s lights on in my mirror. Turns out it was pulling over the Audi who must have seen me go and tried to catch up or had broke the limit in the previous 30.

Oh, and there was the night I came back from a wedding. Had just been going quickly, not sure if over the limit, stop at the lights and a police car pulls up behind me. Plugging numbers into their computer. Didn’t pull me over, must have been running checks I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know of a few people who have had gatso tickets recently. In fact, down here, we have some new fangled gatsos fitted during lockdown with some new fancy separate flash unit mounted on an arm and a much much larger lens area. They replaced the older square GATSO cameras. So yeah, your thinking is flawed :D

Man of Honour
edit: forgot the closest. Zoomed off in a 40 from a set of lights. Spot an unmarked car put it’s lights on in my mirror. Turns out it was pulling over the Audi who must have seen me go and tried to catch up or had broke the limit in the previous 30.

Oh, and there was the night I came back from a wedding. Had just been going quickly, not sure if over the limit, stop at the lights and a police car pulls up behind me. Plugging numbers into their computer. Didn’t pull me over, must have been running checks I guess.

Combination of those two reminds me of awhile back - I was sat at some lights where there is a silly short stretch of dual carriageway 40 before the 60 starts - almost everyone does way over 40 off the lights into the new speed limit. For some reason the way the vehicle behind me drew up and positioned itself kind stuck in my mind sub-consciously and I kept to the speed limit - this car kept kind of bothering me getting up close behind me, etc. almost like they were trying to tempt me to speed. At some point they pulled out, forcing another car coming up to slow down, and overtook me really slowly having a good nosy. When they pulled in again the car they'd forced to slow down took off at a lot of speed and they sped up to catch up with it at which point that car brake checked them - turns out the car having a good nosy about me was an unmarked cop car and immediately pulled the car that brake checked them.

Associate
They really need to sort these limits out, it can be very confusing and in a lot of cases doesn't make sense then there are vehicles that really should be under those limits that are exempted, etc.

In 99% of cases a Berlingo comes under the lower van limits (maybe not literally 99% but most of them will do).
Also the signage is terrible, there is a road near to where I work that has a 50 sign, then about 100 yards on a NSL sign and then another 100 yards one of the smaller 50 reminder signs.

Associate
6 years ago.
Camera van was parked in front of the sign and i didn't know the area.

Manchester Airport route from the city, 4 lanes wide and was 40mph, i thought it was 50 as was in flow with other traffic.

Took an awareness course, i found it useful to have a refresh of things.

Soldato
If we take my area of Stoke on Trent, every driver should know where the main cameras are or are going to be but they still speed through them.
Brain dead.

Stoke was where I got my last ticket back in Nov '14 - There is/was a combined Red Light and Speed Camera on Basford Bank only I didn't know about the "combined" bit and thought it was just a Red Light camera so went through at 36mph in a 30 limit.

The most infuriating thing about it was I spent the previous year in my first 500hp RS6 without so much as a hint of trouble and 2 days after I sold it, and in the first drive my "under £500 Citroen C5 from a 'special price for you my friend' dealership car", I get stung!

Associate
Never had one but had a few close calls. I would say I don’t speed often but will generally do close to 40 in a 30 if it’s not a built up area. Never bother on motorways as I just sit at 75 if traffic allows it.

Man of Honour
but will generally do close to 40 in a 30 if it’s not a built up area.

What I find so annoying is these people who are trying to do 40 in a 30 in a built up area - get constantly right up behind you, often pre-emptively pull out to go around you when you come to a higher speed limit change or multi-lanes - but then just fade away when you put your foot down once clear of built up areas.

Back
Top Bottom