When was your last speeding ticket?

Soldato
Did you hear this from somewhere, or is it just personal experience? I vaguely remember something in the news about Norwich not renewing cameras etc but nothing about the midlands.

Why clearly?

My understanding of the average cameras around Birmingham is they were set up to discourage racing around Birmingham's "track". They have high limits are far as I can tell.

We're talking about those mini Motorola looking yellow ones right? Coventry road has them and not even one ticket.

I remember a news article on it too.

Clearly because again a news article on how many people were caught/how much was put into the kitty as such. Also know a couple of guys that have been caught out. So who knows what you're managing to do? :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I remember a news article on it too.

Clearly because again a news article on how many people were caught/how much was put into the kitty as such. Also know a couple of guys that have been caught out. So who knows what you're managing to do? :D
Damn, are you sure those guys aren't fibbing? My theory is they install dummy cameras and put out a fake article, cheaper that way but most people obey them :D (slightly serious, but not sure I believe it myself actually haha)

Soldato
Someone put a fake one up on the A1 going towards St Neots. The council told them they have to remove it, because it's a distraction to drivers O_o

There are at least 2 real ones along that stretch between Sandy and St Neots...

Associate
So currently.... my theory hasn't been disproven....

I definitely remember something a while back where someone freedom of information requested the percentage of speed cameras that were working in each county. The overall number was surprisingly low, though it stuck in my mind as I remember being disappointed Suffolk and Essex had 100% and 99% working respectively :(

Soldato
Never had a ticket either in 13 years.

They’ve just fitted some new cameras along the by-pass that I live near and as far as I have read on local FB groups they work and have caught quite a few people.

There tend to be quite a few of the mobile cameras in certain ‘black spots’ a few times a year, one of which caught my work colleague.

Soldato
I definitely remember something a while back where someone freedom of information requested the percentage of speed cameras that were working in each county. The overall number was surprisingly low, though it stuck in my mind as I remember being disappointed Suffolk and Essex had 100% and 99% working respectively :(

Might not be accurate tbh. It relies on someone actually keeping stats up to date.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Up until the spring, it'd been well over a year since I'd been caught speeding. When it rains, it pours...

March - 91km/h in a 60km/h on the A1 outside Unna in the middle of the night - €148.50 (roadworks, not proud of this one)
April - 143 in a 120 (motorway) somewhere scummy in Wallonia - €77
May - 73 in a 60 outside Cologne, again in the middle of the night - €22
June - 65 in a 50 on my way home from work. I saw the bloody van but didn't react quickly enough. NEVER seen one there in 2 years of commuting - €53

:(

Man of Honour
They installed a couple of new dummy ones on the birm new road a year or two ago and openly admitted they were fake cameras, it's also well published that all black country cameras are off apart from the new average ones that have gone up in places like the black country route.

I Got pulled for doing triple digits on the m54 a couple of months ago, still waiting on my spanking.

Soldato
When was your last speeding ticket?
The only one I can remember was when I got done for Speed Dangerous which was back in 1989 while riding my new GPX600r motorbike
(Doing 74mph in a 35 limit got 6 months off the road and I think it was a £250 fine)

I also got one for doing 49mph in a 35 limit but can't remember when that one was :o

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
This would be interesting to read. Will have a google see if I can find anything.
They installed a couple of new dummy ones on the birm new road a year or two ago and openly admitted they were fake cameras, it's also well published that all black country cameras are off apart from the new average ones that have gone up in places like the black country route.

I Got pulled for doing triple digits on the m54 a couple of months ago, still waiting on my spanking.
Oh really? This I need to read about.

Regarding your being pulled... take them to court and see how you do. I got off with a technicality when they followed me at 120 and said I was still pulling away. They didn't specify road markers, or how long they were "following" me etc.

PSA: If you are ever pulled over by the police and they charge you, when they ask if there is anything you would like to state always say: "I deny the speed you say I was doing, I was not going faster than the speed limit" regardless of how much the copper laughs at you :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I'm going to be that guy and ask what is the need to be doing 70 down the Coventry Road, on cruise control?
Cruise is only to test the limits of the camera, started 55, then 60, then 65, 68, 70... don't think I tested higher than that.

Regarding the why 70? Why do 200+ on the M6 toll? Because I'm an idiot quite obviously :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP

Found this article:

Only about half of the UK’s fixed speed cameras are on and primed to catch traffic offenders, a survey suggests.

This means that speeding drivers may have been let off of hundreds of pounds worth of fines each, as police forces seek to cut costs.

Previously, police forces were allowed to keep the revenues raised from the cameras in their jurisdiction. The fines now go directly to the Treasury.

Four counties do not have any fixed speed cameras while 13 have less than half of theirs switched on.

he 36 forces which responded with data had a total 2,838 cameras, of which 1,486 were active. Nine refused to disclose the information or failed to respond.

Cleveland, Durham, North Yorkshire and Northamptonshire said none of their fixed speed cameras were active.

Northamptonshire said it turned its cameras off in April 2011, but left the structures in place to discourage speeders.

Staffordshire have only 14 of their 272 fixed cameras switched on; Derbyshire operates 112 cameras but just 10 of them ever catch speeder

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
They installed a couple of new dummy ones on the birm new road a year or two ago and openly admitted they were fake cameras
Looks like they only admitted it after accusations:
The region’s police chief David Jamieson has accused the authority of deceiving the public after bosses installed what he said was nothing more than ‘a metal box’.

The camera was set up in March on a notorious stretch of the Birmingham New Road, near the junction of Woodcroft Avenue on the Dudley-Sandwell border.

Council chief executive Sarah Norman admitted it was fake and is part of a wider scheme to dupe the public into believing that a number of speed cameras in the borough are still functioning.

ADVERTISING

She admitted the camera was ‘not operational’ and said ‘any deception’ was intended to deter drivers intent on breaking the speed limit

e off apart from the new average ones that have gone up in places like the black country route.
Yeh it seems so, an article from 2018 says:
Old single location static speed cameras were turned off five years ago. But there are still currently 160 mobile camera sites across the West Midlands.

Caporegime
I've avoided tickets so far... I've been pulled for speeding three times total by traffic police and been let off each time (because roads were clear, late at night, I was apologetic and polite etc) all in the Worthing/Brighton area, once going 45 in a 30, once 75 in a 60 and once 70 in a 40 (dual carriageway speed limit changed and I didn't slow down quickly enough)

Been flashed twice but also received no tickets, once on the M1 by a gantry camera going about 90, once by a normal gatso in a 40 limit going about 50.

All in the past 5 years.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I've been pulled for speeding three times total by traffic police and been let off each time
I honestly couldn't count the number of times I've been pulled. Big, young, brown man in a black BMW driving "spiritidly"... ding ding! Reduced quite a bit once I started wearing glasses surprisingly. Was so common in my m5 I got used to flooring it away before they had the chance to see my plate.

Man of Honour
This would be interesting to read. Will have a google see if I can find anything.

Oh really? This I need to read about.

Regarding your being pulled... take them to court and see how you do. I got off with a technicality when they followed me at 120 and said I was still pulling away. They didn't specify road markers, or how long they were "following" me etc.

PSA: If you are ever pulled over by the police and they charge you, when they ask if there is anything you would like to state always say: "I deny the speed you say I was doing, I was not going faster than the speed limit" regardless of how much the copper laughs at you :D
Unfortunately they clocked me over .6 of a mile iirc and showed me the video which calculated my avg speed. Not much to wriggle out of with this one :o

Back
Top Bottom