• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When will the RTX version of Shadow of the Tomb Raider be released?

Soldato

tl;dr meh

I continue to say, the biggest graphical leaps will be higher res textures & improved image streaming. Until then Ray Tracing will be just another "neat" effect that suffers from horrible pop-in and therefore can't be more than a mediocre experience.

Soldato
RTX for shadows, what about the rest of the features that are not enabled.

Total farce NVidia.

It not total farce Nvidia, you cant blamed Nvidia for it. The actually person you can call total farce to them which is Crystal Dynamics or Shadow of the Tomb Raider's creative director who decided what ray tracing features they wanted to implemented in Shadow of the Tomb Raider to meet artists vision.

I dont think Shadow of the Tomb Raider need ray tracing reflections but I think it would be nice to have both ray tracing Global Illumination and Shadows features.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-rtx-update-out-now/

Interesting, ray tracing shadows is not one feature but actually have 5 features used in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Medium setting used 1 feature: Point Light Shadows

High setting used 4 features: Point Light Shadows, Rectangular Spot Light Shadows, Circular Spot Light Shadows and Sunlight Shadows

Ultra setting used all 5 features: Point Light Shadows, Rectangular Spot Light Shadows, Circular Spot Light Shadows, Sunlight Shadows and Translucent Shadows

Soldato
Did a vid between Ultra and Medium and I actually prefer medium Raytracing shadows over Ultra.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-rtx-update-out-now/

If you used Medium setting all the time, it only used 1 ray tracing feature Point Light Shadows, you will need enable Ultra to see all 5 ray tracing shadows features: Point Light Shadows, Rectangular Spot Light Shadows, Circular Spot Light Shadows, Sunlight Shadows and Translucent Shadows.

Soldato
It's a nice improvement, but yeah Shadows is the worst way to WOW gamers with ray Tracing, clearly Metro has shown us that Global Illumination is the way to go for Ray Tracing and shadows and reflections are perfectly fine in their current pre-determined manner.

Soldato
I've seen comparison screens, RT in SoTTS adds quite a bit of shadows where there were none before which is great.
But then the shadows coming off trees have a very diffused look with Ray Tracing, which is most realistic but I can see why some people don't like it when they are used to seeing unrealistic fake shadows.

Sometimes realistic graphics is not the best for the user's entertainment experience

Man of Honour
It not total farce Nvidia, you cant blamed Nvidia for it. The actually person you can call total farce to them which is Crystal Dynamics or Shadow of the Tomb Raider's creative director who decided what ray tracing features they wanted to implemented in Shadow of the Tomb Raider to meet artists vision.

I dont think Shadow of the Tomb Raider need ray tracing reflections but I think it would be nice to have both ray tracing Global Illumination and Shadows features.

Interesting, ray tracing shadows is not one feature but actually have 5 features used in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Medium setting used 1 feature: Point Light Shadows

High setting used 4 features: Point Light Shadows, Rectangular Spot Light Shadows, Circular Spot Light Shadows and Sunlight Shadows

Ultra setting used all 5 features: Point Light Shadows, Rectangular Spot Light Shadows, Circular Spot Light Shadows, Sunlight Shadows and Translucent Shadows

We need to be super critical of NVidia as they were the ones who launched the 20 series using Ray Tracing and DLSS as big selling points to justify the cost of the cards. This puts the responsibility of ensuring there is plenty of software available which can use those features squarely on NVidia alone.

The game devs may write the software but if it is difficult to implement or the hardware is not really up to it this is not their fault, they have to work to the limitations of what hardware is available and also do it at a reasonable cost for a very limited market.

Having said all that I am not really that interested in Ray Tracing or DLSS all I care about is Turing is about 30% faster than Pascal and it runs games well.

I am concerned about the ridiculous pricing of Turing and NVidia have not done themselves or thousands of PC gamers any favours at all.

Back
Top Bottom