When you have first put a waterblock on your GPU

Permabanned
Is it safe to test your card without hooking it up to the loop once you've put the block on?
All I would be doing it booting into windows then shutting down again, I don't want to go to all the effort of taking the loop apart then putting it back together again only to find I've ruined my graphics card.

Associate
It's only going to throttle down or shut off the computer entirely if it overheats. I should know, I hooked my water up incorrectly to the GPU once and it was going straight through one port and out the other without passing through the whole block. I fired up BF4 for the first test on an AMD 290x and it shut down my computer within 2 minutes. :p Needless to say temps had swiftly climbed to 120 degrees. Had to test it again to see what was going on, of course.

Permabanned
OP
Well after much hassle everything seems to be working as it should now. I had an awful time trying to bleed all the air out but eventually got there.
Most of the air got trapped at the inlet to the res for some reason and I had to use the drain valve to physically suck it out! I ended up giving myself a chemical burn on the inside of my top lip! :(
Only thing I'm not happy with is that some of the tubing has kinked in the tight spots and some has slightly flattened out due to the excessive lengths I have used due to me using a bay res in a case with only 2 drive bays, so no room to manoeuvre I have to pull the res out when I want to top it up.

As I said everything fingers crossed seem ok...so far. I was looking at thicker walled tubing for my next rebuild when it comes. but I'm still new to all this really. does the 19/13 tubing have a thicker wall and thus less prone to kinking?

mH4aO

I know tidying the cables is on my list :p

http://imgur.com/a/mH4aO

Also, how would you all tidy the tubing up? Which angled fittings would you use and where?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow that's a lot of tubing lol. Was it not possible to make the runs of it a little shorter? Don't worry too much about loop order just connect one to the next closest component in the loop. Keep it simple and as minimal as you can. If you look at the GPU port on the left it's the perfect place for an angled fitting to the rad at the back.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah I tried to keep it all short and tidy but with the basic fittings I used and the bends being so tight it wasn't possible as the tubing would kink.
Next time I'll get it right, as they say third time's a charm :)

Associate
Some 90 degree fittings may help.

Personally if it's working I would enjoy it for a bit.

Buying a few more fittings when it needs cleaning and neaten it up.

Permabanned
OP
Could some of you look at my build and recommend and link me to the fittings I would need please. I've had a look but still unsure.
I have a bay res which would need to be able to slide out a little to top it up,
I have a 240 rad at the top, a 140 at the rear and a 120 at the front.
Should I be going res-240-CPU-140-GPU-120-res? If so what's the best way to do it? Going from the 120 to the res seems awkward and I would be attaching the drain to the inlet?

Thanks

Associate
Loop order doesnt matter

do whatever is the easist and uses less fittings/ less hassle.

Drain in theoery should be on the lowest part of your build so Use a T peice on the 120 at the front and stick a drain and stopper on there ?

Back
Top Bottom