Where are the 1000W PSUS? In fact PSUs in general right now

Soldato
It seems to get tougher and tougher putting together and finishing my build. Going to need a 1000W Gold or Platinum PSU for a pretty big project but there's just no stock anywhere. Its the first time in 6 months I've looked to get a PSU, it's as bad as trying to get a GPU or CPU right now. How long has it been this bad for? There also seems a severe lack of 1000w PSUs. I know you got some silly 2000w ones and 1600w but I'm not in the mood to spend £300 to £400 on a PSU.

I'm venting a bit, I know.... I'm just cheesed off with this now lol. Been waiting for my 5900x since ordering on 12 December, can't a get a GPU, rads out of stock, decent fans the same and now decent high wattage PSUs appear to be completely AWOL.

Last edited:
Soldato
They probably don't stock many since most people don't need more than 850w unless they're running SLI or kingpin bios on a 3090.

Maybe drop a pre order on this as these are due in a week or so although I'd see about doing it on a different account as OCUK will usually hold the order till all the stuff is in stock which could be an issue if you have a few in demand items On pre order that keep popping in and out of stock a different times.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £195.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's been like this for some time now and seems to be getting worse. Covid probably has the biggest effect on it but lack of capacity for chips is hitting things like cpu's and gpu's. Even car production is affected now due to a lack of chips and production is being cut.

Associate
Thank you guys.

850w will be cutting it fine with the project I've started. How good is the Corsair RMX series? I've always gone with Superflower Platinum or EVGA Platinum in the past.
I was after a Seasonic platinum 750-850w in December, but the RX850x was available. I read half a dozen reviews and they were all extremely complimentary; it's a very solidly (over)built PSU, that represents the best of CWT's efforts.

Not saying it should take the place of a 1KW PSU, but the model itself is rock-solid.

Soldato
OP
I was after a Seasonic platinum 750-850w in December, but the RX850x was available. I read half a dozen reviews and they were all extremely complimentary; it's a very solidly (over)built PSU, that represents the best of CWT's efforts.

Not saying it should take the place of a 1KW PSU, but the model itself is rock-solid.

Thank you for your input. I've looked at a few reviews online but I always like to hear fellow hardware enthusiasts thoughts.

Soldato
In answer to your question.... over in the Far East. You can pick this, ahem, 1000W beast up for £49.09 (thats a 32A single rail, just to save your eyesight) ;)
Ilfb7NT.jpg

Associate
Any idea how long a "bought to order" one takes? I ordered the 2000w 8pack leadex PSU on the 20th, haven't heard a peep since, tried calling a few times but given up after being on hold for a while, wondering if I'd be better to cancel and maybe pick up 2 1000w ones you have in stock

Caporegime
The Seasonic PSU I bought elsewhere is overdue for weeks now. Been over two months since I ordered it too :D

Looking around there's nothing else I'd want to buy in stock anywhere, so we wait :)

Soldato
The Seasonic PSU I bought elsewhere is overdue for weeks now. Been over two months since I ordered it too :D

Looking around there's nothing else I'd want to buy in stock anywhere, so we wait :)
Tell me about it I've been after a phantek 1000w psu was supposed to be in early dec it's just passed 4 deadlines and still not come theres a hold up at the ports apparently

Associate
The situation is really bad rn. I just had to panic buy a Cooler Master v850 V2 because I could see even 850w PSUs selling out or being price hiked in front of my eyes, I wanted a 1000w for my 3090 because of the problems I've heard about 850w not being enough. Does anyone know if this is a decent PSU for a 3600 and 3090, at least short term? I plan on returning it (I bought from where I did for easy returns) if 1000w come back soon at a reasonable price but this was my only option right now.

Most of the estimated restocking dates are ridiculous, some are months away. Still waiting on my motherboard and ram, not from here, supposedly in stock but they still haven't shipped it. Sick of it tbh, on the verge of just selling my 3090 and returning the rest.

Caporegime
Tell me about it I've been after a phantek 1000w psu was supposed to be in early dec it's just passed 4 deadlines and still not come theres a hold up at the ports apparently
I - most unexpectedly - received my Seasonic 850W today. Looking at the place I got it from, there is stock currently available.

Associate
As far as I am aware, the issues with supply are due to port problems.
The far-eastern factories (eg China) are making the stuff fine, it's being shipped fine, but there are container issues at ports. (Non-EU stuff isn't having customs issues either), so it's got to be down to the ports I reckon.
Either that or supply is being deliberately constrained to jack up pricing.

Soldato
Why are all PSU in short supply? Like there is absolutely zero choice.

looking for a decent 850w myself since this time last year.

missed a rm850i for £135 thinking it will get better eventually but prices just keep on going up and availability is just drying up. Like there isn’t any PSU coming into this country at all. That’s even before the whole brexit fiasco

Associate
It's been gradually building up since the start of 2019.
I literally just burned my last 1000w psu. Now I've to figure where to get a replacement. Brexit import delays aren't helping matters. And there's probably more premium home built pcs right now then they've ever been before.

Back
Top Bottom