Where can I buy distilled/de-ionised water?

Associate
Hey.

In the next week or so I am gonna be getting the Zalman reserator 2 and the alphamaxx 500w watercooled PSU. Seems the only extra thing I need is de-ionised water, but I don't actually know what this is (apart from that algae wont grow in it) and have no idea where to get it.

I am in scotland, any idea where I could pick it up from? Thanks.

Associate
Lister2020 said:
Hey.

In the next week or so I am gonna be getting the Zalman reserator 2 and the alphamaxx 500w watercooled PSU. Seems the only extra thing I need is de-ionised water, but I don't actually know what this is (apart from that algae wont grow in it) and have no idea where to get it.

I am in scotland, any idea where I could pick it up from? Thanks.
Petrol stations, garages, auto parts stores etc.

Soldato
bitslice said:
hmm, or you could just just boil a kettle...

it removes most of the calcium carbonate.
;)

Surely all the contaminates stay in the kettle. Its the steam that boils off that you want to catch and use. Be warned, de-ionised water can tend to be a bit agressive as it tries to steal back its ions from surrounding materials, ie your blocks etc. Distilled water is better to use. I got mine from;
http://sortlifeout.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=32

Don
messiah khan said:
Surely all the contaminates stay in the kettle. Its the steam that boils off that you want to catch and use. Be warned, de-ionised water can tend to be a bit agressive as it tries to steal back its ions from surrounding materials, ie your blocks etc. Distilled water is better to use. I got mine from;
http://sortlifeout.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=32

I could sell it you cheaper lol

Stelly :)

Man of Honour
Yup they are slightly different. The processes involved in filtering out the minerals are different from distilled to dionised. Di-ionised will also replace its ions from the metals in your loop - sounds really bad but tbh you wouldn't know any different if you hadn't read this post and I wouldn't let it put you off ;). I've used di-ionised and distilled and found no difference between the two except di-ionised is easier to get hold of where I live - have to order distilled from the chemist :(

Permabanned
messiah khan said:
Surely all the contaminates stay in the kettle. Its the steam that boils off that you want to catch and use.

yep, ideally you'd want to distill it. But as the calcium carbonate comes out of solution, it is likely to clump with all the other crud in the kettle, so what gets poured out is cleaner.

I'd doubt you'd get much more precipitation in a 60 deg cooling loop.
:)

Associate
Halfords Battery Topup Water = Distilled Water.

Deionised can result in corrosion quicker than distilled. Water needs some ions to retain a balance. Remove ALL it's ions and it'll gather replacement ions from wherever possible, generally from the metal components in your rig.

Associate
OP
Marci said:
Halfords Battery Topup Water = Distilled Water.

Deionised can result in corrosion quicker than distilled. Water needs some ions to retain a balance. Remove ALL it's ions and it'll gather replacement ions from wherever possible, generally from the metal components in your rig.

Okie dok ill get the battery topup water for the reserator then. Seeing as I aint going for mad overclocking I expect that the VGA cooler and the CPU cooler should be enough. There are two big heatsinks on the mobo itself, for the chipsets I think. Don't see any real need to remove them.

Associate
Ensure you get some anticorrosive additive. Reserator = aluminium = corrosive mess no matter what you use if no anticorrosive additive is present.

And, no matter what you get, if it's exposed to oxygen and sunlight, it can grow algae... but most anticorrosive additives work as an algaecide as well via a coincidental aftereffect of shifting the coolant's pH level to a point where anything you need to worry about growing can't.

Associate
he's right.

last thing you want is a couple of peas having a punchup in yer loop!!!

but you should be able to get de-ionised from any service station / garage.

i know texaco stock it for definate (guess where i get mine)

boiled kettle water is not a great idea, as it has other impurites.

Soldato
I ordered 2 litres of distilled water from local chemist for around £1 took 24 hours from order placed to pick up, recieved it with label on it saying Purified water, so I guess thats distilled. . . I wonder if it goes through de-ionisation process? :confused:

Sainsburys Petrol stations sell Tetrosyl de-ionised water in 1 litre bottles for about £1.50 a bottle.

Back
Top Bottom