Where can you buy/ get tall plants for the garden?

Associate
Hi all,

I did some googling, and saw some random results but I'm looking for some tall foiliage for the garden to give us some privacy.

Where can I find plants that are around 7/8ft tall? Ideally something like bamboo thats tall and does not take up much width as it will go against a fence.

Soldato
I usually have a look around the reduced sections of the garden centres, this ones from Morrisons though 13 quid and a little taller than me at 6.5 ft
Screenshot-20210406-175838-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Man of Honour
Sorry sweetheart. I shall endeavour to satiate your need for information in a more constructive manner in the future. Thanks very much indeed.
No, please don’t bother. I visit forums for Facebook style one line answers with zero explanation or context.

Associate
Bamboo is absolutely fine if you know how to contain the roots and runners to prevent spread.
Had bamboo for years in our garden and it's not gone anywhere where it shouldn't.
It's the people that just stick it in the ground and let it do its thing that give it a bad name.

Soldato
Independent Garden Crentres seem to be MUCH cheaper than known chains for large plants :)

Not too sure about that. All garden centres are pretty expensive for stuff that you can get elsewhere. Local one wanted £4.49 for 35cm pot, same pot £2 in B&M. 100L Landscape Bark £9.99 but only £6.99 in B&M same make too.

Soldato
Bamboo is absolutely fine if you know how to contain the roots and runners to prevent spread.
Had bamboo for years in our garden and it's not gone anywhere where it shouldn't.
It's the people that just stick it in the ground and let it do its thing that give it a bad name.

Previous owners did just that for 20+ years, it took me four long days with a mattock and pick axe to get the roots out.... which near filled a 4m^3 midi skip just with roots. It's like chipping away at concrete.
After a few years of me hunting out any slight growth, the small bits of root deep in the soil I missed seem to have finally given up trying to come back.

Evil stuff unless well contained / potted.

Associate
I would say your question is wrong from the start. You should not buy fully grown plants because they are difficult to establish and can easily die wasting time effort and money. Smaller plants will establish much better and will grow faster than the larger ones.

There are a few questions for you to answer, it appears you want something along the lines of a hedge or perhaps screening?

A) How high do you want it to grow
b) Are you prepared to maintain it several times a year by trimming?
c) How much spread is available?
d) Evergreen or deciduous
e) Thorns or no thorns
f) Flowers or not bothered?
g) If it's just screening would a plant like Clemetis or Boston Ivy plus a trellis be a viable option?

Soldato
I am equally guilty of buying big tbh, already posted last weeks example, but also if I want cover I will buy vigorous got some very tall grasses 8ft plus that are not bamboo in my little fountain area, you can literally pluck them out and stick them anywhere

Screenshot-20210407-055200-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Also a fan of using natural materials to help cover here with vigorous roses

Screenshot-20210407-061325-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I did some googling, and saw some random results but I'm looking for some tall foiliage for the garden to give us some privacy.

Where can I find plants that are around 7/8ft tall? Ideally something like bamboo thats tall and does not take up much width as it will go against a fence.

Tree nurseries are very good for already grown plants. Although bear in mind you'll be paying many-many times the price for them. When i was looking for an acer, you could pick up short ones (1-2 foot) for about £15-20. If you wanted a medium grown one (6-7 foot) you were looking at £400-500. And a tall grown one (8-9 foot +) were like £700 upwards.

I appreciate that Acers are an expensive type, so probably wouldn't be what you'd look at anyway.

Back
Top Bottom